RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #1

Full Timers Report!

Going full time in a few years, and the Glacier Peak 5th wheel is high on the list of rigs to buy.

Wondering how many of you folks full time, and if you do, could you share your experiences with me? What you liked about your rig, what you would change, where and when you use it (cold weather, chasing the sun, off road, campgrounds etc). Towing, water discipline etc. Any and all topics appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
GBB

You need to try it before going fulltime. We spent about six months couple years ago in the deep south getting away from winter..didnt care for it much. Living in an 8 x 25' box for six months gets old. And definitely didnt like RV parks all crammed in together. Traveling and seeing the sights each day is OK, but once parked for a few weeks not so much.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #3

I know people full time in all sizes of RV's but after 11 years of camping with only the longest being 31', there's no way I'd full time with another person unless it was a 38-42' 5th wheel or 40' motorhome with a toad.
Longest we've been out is a month. That was a blast and a few more months would've been fun as well. But no way for a year after year scenario.

Now If I were single I'd FT in our current 25RDS easily.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:04 AM   #4

Starting year 3 fulltime ,northeast in summer near grandkids ,warm south for winter,we store coach in south and come north for Christmas for a couple of weeks,still have little ones.Started with 2005 bounder quickly traded for new challenger 37fh and haven't looked back. Take your time looking for the right coach that fits Your wants and needs. Make a list, wants,needs and deal breakers,for us bath and half,stack washer and dryer,residential fridge,lots of storage inside and outside,opposing slides living room and bedroom, 100gal freshwater and grey and black capacity, comfortable seating with good tv viewing position, 8,000lbs towing capacity,these were OUR needs.We have Thousands Trails and works great for us. We've met alot of great people and have many new friends now. Good luck and enjoy.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just do it...

We've been living in our ORV GP30RLS going on 3 years. My wife researched fifth wheel (well, everything) for over 5 years. She (we) chose ORV because of their build ethic and quality, as well as design. We have been from Washington state to northern California to Minnesota to Florida and a whole lot of points in between. ORV stands by their product very satisfactorly (even when we had warranty issues in Minnesota and had the repairs done there). However 2 years for fulltimers to have a warranty is simply not enough. Thankfully my wife talked me into an extended warranty. Two years plus one month after purchase the wonderful Norcold fridge decided to give up the ghost. $3000 later for mobil repair and new cooling unit- but it was covered by EW.
I NEVER feel like we live in an 8'x25' box. Every place we visit has an entire new vista looking out the window- how can you feel cramped looking at an ocean or a mountain- or a corn field for that matter.
It is what you make it- make it fun!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBB View Post
You need to try it before going fulltime. We spent about six months couple years ago in the deep south getting away from winter..didnt care for it much. Living in an 8 x 25' box for six months gets old. And definitely didnt like RV parks all crammed in together. Traveling and seeing the sights each day is OK, but once parked for a few weeks not so much.
Good advice
Lynn
Old 09-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #7

I love it, 4 years now, 3 retired. Just did 5 months in my home town in MN, headed to TX gulf coast first thing in the am, for 6-7 months for winter. Unless one buys a house in the middle of no where, one could get bad neighbors, anywhere, cool thing about the camper, is you don't have to sell it to move it. Do reaserch, not all places are cramped. Going to be loud, speeders, non pick up after the dog people anywhere. I started out doing the month hear and there thing first, to find what I like. Now that I think, I found what I like, I might keep a camper hear, and one there, and sell the truck and buy a great fuel mpg car.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSteven View Post
We've been living in our ORV GP30RLS going on 3 years. My wife researched fifth wheel (well, everything) for over 5 years. She (we) chose ORV because of their build ethic and quality, as well as design. We have been from Washington state to northern California to Minnesota to Florida and a whole lot of points in between. ORV stands by their product very satisfactorly (even when we had warranty issues in Minnesota and had the repairs done there). However 2 years for fulltimers to have a warranty is simply not enough. Thankfully my wife talked me into an extended warranty. Two years plus one month after purchase the wonderful Norcold fridge decided to give up the ghost. $3000 later for mobil repair and new cooling unit- but it was covered by EW.
I NEVER feel like we live in an 8'x25' box. Every place we visit has an entire new vista looking out the window- how can you feel cramped looking at an ocean or a mountain- or a corn field for that matter.
It is what you make it- make it fun!

Well said.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #9

This is going to be a long post, but I sure hope you gain something useful from it. If not just ignore What I generally find over 20+ years of reading these forums is that we all only get a small snippet of information and not what really led to that persons thoughts or actions in the big scheme of things. Like I said it's gunna be long but hope you gain a good insight into why thus far we've done what we've done and what we may or may not do going forwards and the reasons why in the big picture.

The biggest take away you should consider here, is every single one of us has a different personality. What is a major devastation for some in their life journeys (engine blows up for EG), to others like us = "it is what it is lets deal with it", and two new engines, plus a transmission, tire blowout etc, since we first started RVing in the late 90's. So your nature and personality will dictate an awful lot on your perception of RVing compared to others. Our glass is always half full when many other's is half empty so ......... Best lesson always reinforced to us by Barb OK through her writings was, ALWAYS keep an emergency fund and top it up regularly to maintain 10% minimum of your purchase price of the rig. THANK you Barb OK, we pass this along vehemently.

Next consideration before going FT and deciding on what you might want/need rig wise, is assessing how you are going to FT RV. Some sit months at a time in one spot and others prefer to travel/move to new locales to explore every few days/week/bi-weekly - we are in the latter category. What would irritate you when the honeymoon period is over? And believe me it will be!! Are you going to be working on the road and if so are you going to have to anchor down in certain places to handle that for conference calls, wifi connections etc etc. Is that going to spoil the intended planned dream.

So much to consider, and our pros and cons list grew exponentially over time. Some are so well financially heeled they can take the attitude, we'll give it a shot and if it doesn't work out we'll just go back to Sticks n bricks living. Others are scrupulous in their plans with far limited budgets and don't have the option to get it wrong at the front end but still want to live their somewhat compromised dream as best they can. Everyone is so so different and in different places in their lives health wise and financially.

Now to our story for the past two decades of wanting/yearning to go FT and how our thoughts changed somewhat along the way. Sharing just in case you might glean something from it or even others may.

For many years our goal from being weekend warriors so to speak, was to become Full Time RVers one day. Frustrated with the ever and still are increasing costs of property taxes, maintenance, house insurance etc we so were looking forward to the day we could become FT RVers, and home ownership free. We sold all our revenues, the last in 2017 to enable this.

Challenges along the way included holding on to our family acreage dad built 16 years ago = for our youngest daughter (rising 30 now) taking over due to marry in 2017 that got shelved after 6 years of engagement and some other things, it actually turned into a blessing in many aspects but ........ In order for us to go FT we really need financially for the longer term to be able to sell this and invest the proceeds for some income to be able to do what we would want to do full timing. Our nature is not to just go and sit somewhere to save money and be warm = I can do that here now with a gorgeous view, space around me, Rocky Mountains, rivers and pristine lakes right on my doorstep so ......... (We won't talk about the snow shovelling for now LOL, but you get the idea).

We are very very very close knit to our youngest daughter and as a family have always pulled together financially and work wise - it's never been mine or my husband's money, it's been pooled and we all decide on whatever whenever is wanted or needed (we are frugal for the most part as a whole unit, except when it comes to making memories!). I have very strong feelings that my children never asked to be born, we had them because WE wanted children and we feel we will always help or support their plans and dreams where we can, and the youngest vice a versa appreciating what we've done over the years for her. My main duty was to rear them to become good, caring, respectable, independent citizens with the right ethics about life as a whole but we are very very close. Of course each and every family has a different take on that, and some chose to boot their kids out the house so they can fulfil their FT dreams I've read often. We just couldn't be that way. Hence here we sit 3+ years later keeping the home fires burning on the acreage until youngest daughter makes her decisions of life. It's her life, we've had ours in the younger years, but if she could take over this place herself it would be ideal for returning to park on also for us when visiting. Her life, her choice and we are not pushing either way, so we just sit here waiting patiently. Sigh.

In the interim we have taken longer and longer extended trips across the USA 46 states, and Canada (finally last year completing ALL provinces with Newfoundland & Labrador the last done). Something that hit home emotionally doing these longer and longer trips was realising what we missed/enjoyed when on the road and off the road. I love the planning the next long trip for several weeks and months sometimes. We love getting ready to hit the road and the anticipation of where our journey plans are taking us, but typically after a couple or three months I also look forward to heading home to see our daughter, her horses, dog etc etc. For hubby and I we love our baths so that's the first order of the day arriving home, but the biggie is the bosom of our family life. He enjoys helping her with her Custom Rustic Designs and bringing the acreage back up to snuff weed, fence repairs wise etc.

So, that leaves us with where we are at today. Happy we get to do (Pre-COVID) long extended always boondocking/drycamping (hate CGs) trips south in the winter, across Canada and Northern States in the summer fishing, kayaking and walking+++ (We don't toad by health choice mainly). Enjoying our homebase for the most part, albeit as bodies are getting chronologically challenged not the maintenance so much, but that applies to the RV as well somewhat.

Further down the road - If daughter moves out permanently and shows us she's happily settled, for sure we will sell the acreage and hit the road (health permitting). If daughter remains at home (she has best of both worlds right now LOL!), then we'll just keep on doing what we are doing.

One thing I'm so very glad we did do when were younger is forcefully "make the time", to get out and about RVing across this gorgeous continent of ours even if it was done at speed. We had no excuses as many do, to not to jump in and drive. The memories and experiences we have to draw on have been priceless and we take those with us for the rest of our days. There is so much we did back then, our bodies can't do today. I say to all "if the desire is strong enough, do it now while you can", don't have any regrets or be one of those saying "we were going to ..... but ...... and I wish we had done it when we .........."

As for rigs, types, considerations etc, you've got tons of good pointers above and more coming. This is just where we found joy in our life journey thus far and we have been so grateful to have achieved this much to date.
SomeDay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post

The biggest take away you should consider here, is every single one of us has a different personality. What is a major devastation for some in their life journeys (engine blows up for EG), to others like us = "it is what it is lets deal with it", and two new engines, plus a transmission, tire blowout etc, since we first started RVing in the late 90's. So your nature and personality will dictate an awful lot on your perception of RVing compared to others. Our glass is always half full when many other's is half empty so ......... Best lesson always reinforced to us by Barb OK through her writings was, ALWAYS keep an emergency fund and top it up regularly to maintain 10% minimum of your purchase price of the rig. THANK you Barb OK, we pass this along vehemently.

Snip:
Isn't this the truth?

In the same thread, folks who couldn't think of spending time together in a 8x25 foot box alongside folks who love it.

One thing I've learned from all the research I've done is just what Someday has said above, what works for some folks doesn't get off the ground for others. I read about a couple that traded in their 5th wheel because she was constantly stressed about overpasses, and then read right after that about a couple who said 'eh, overpasses'....

My needs are pretty basic, and the motivation for the change in living is the ability to experience more of the country, and more remote areas of it, than I have up till now. I'm not going to be using CGs to any great extent, I can't see downsizing my living quarters in order to spend most of my time 20 feet from neighbors on either side of me. I'm more in the boondocking camp, setting up the rig for extended stays in NF, State Parks, BLM lands etc.
Kstills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My fulltime reasons are probably different than many but I needed to relocate and as I have a very uncommon profession there were very limited places where my 30 years of experience would translate to a wage I am accustomed to. Further, the area I was relocating to has little affordable housing within an hours drive and I did not want to deal with sitting in traffic 2 to 3 hours a day.

I already owned an ORV 23 RBS and have had great service from it however there was no way my wife and I could survive living in that small of a trailer so we bought an F28 Glacier Peak and found a really nice park 8 miles from my new place of work.

Park rates in this large metropolitan area are pretty high compared to what you might be used to, with electricity I pay just under $1000 a month but there is nothing even remotely affordable anywhere nearby. Fixer upers are going for $750,000 with $15,000 a year property taxes and one bedroom apartments start at $2500 a month. No thanks!

In short, we love it. We came from a 3000 square foot house to this and it has all the room we need. Plenty of storage and no yardwork to do. And I am able to load up my retirement accounts with all the money we are saving. I have 7 years to go before retirement and this is just what we needed to fund our dreams.

Depending on where you will live you should consider the second AC. I think slide toppers are mandatory for keeping cool in summer and dry in winter, electric fireplace, Maxx fans and roller shades are also key to making it more livable. We went with the Titanium and feel it is a pretty good value. Auto leveling is awesome as well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer