Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #1

Golf Cart Battery

Need to replace (2) golf cart batteries on my trailer, and wondering what seems to be the best bang for the buck. Only boondock a few times a year, mostly in campgrounds with shore power. The old ones are Interstate. I do believe they are the original ones, and the trailer is 2016 model. When I pulled them out today, they were both dry and dead. I leave it plugged into power at home and I am wondering if my charging system boiled them? It is supposed to taper off when they are charged or so I thought. Not looking to cheap charlie it, but dont want to spend my kids inheritance!
mikeylikeslv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #2

Even with the best charger, you need to check and refill regular batteries with distilled water once a month. If they seem OK then sometimes every other month.

You can get 2 new GC2 6 volt batteries from Sams Club or CosCo for about $90 each. Battery plus also carries them for around $100 each.

If you don't want to check the water, you can get sealed, AGM, GC2 6 volt batteries in the same stores for about $180 each.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Even with the best charger, you need to check and refill regular batteries with distilled water once a month. If they seem OK then sometimes every other month.

You can get 2 new GC2 6 volt batteries from Sams Club or CosCo for about $90 each. Battery plus also carries them for around $100 each.

If you don't want to check the water, you can get sealed, AGM, GC2 6 volt batteries in the same stores for about $180 each.

Not sure what kind of a charger would require monthly watering of the batteries. I only have to water my golf cart batteries about once every three months.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikeslv View Post
Need to replace (2) golf cart batteries on my trailer, and wondering what seems to be the best bang for the buck. Only boondock a few times a year, mostly in campgrounds with shore power. The old ones are Interstate. I do believe they are the original ones, and the trailer is 2016 model. When I pulled them out today, they were both dry and dead. I leave it plugged into power at home and I am wondering if my charging system boiled them? It is supposed to taper off when they are charged or so I thought. Not looking to cheap charlie it, but dont want to spend my kids inheritance!
If your only boondocking a couple times a year, do you even need two 6 volts? Whatever you get, if it’s a “wet battery” check it once in awhile. I had two 6 volts in my TC added water maybe 2-3 times a year. As twinboat have stated, many options on batteries.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Not sure what kind of a charger would require monthly watering of the batteries. I only have to water my golf cart batteries about once every three months.
OK, check and refill " if needed "
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Trojan T105 all the way!

I personally would highly recommend the Trojan 6 volt T105's. They are one of the best flooded cell batteries out there in IMHO, but like any battery, you have to take reasonable care of them. You should get about 8 years out of them. At least that has been my experience over the many years of owning Rv's. They run about 135.00 a piece and are rated at 225ah. Worth every penny! Just purchased a new RV and that is the first thing I put in it. Told the dealer to just give me credit for whatever he was going to put into it on delivery and I would buy a REAL battery.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went through Interstate for my GC2's so far so good. I also leave my TT plugged in when home. Just took her out of her winter wraps and they were both fine with water. The charger was floating at 13.2
Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM   #8

My thought is: Unless your battery/batteries are just there as "place holders" to make a spot for the wires to hook up, I'd go with the 2 6v. In reality, they are down in the low 100's each and the amp hour gain is significant. Thinking you mentioned you boon dock 2-3 times a year? Makes a lot of difference how long you boon dock. You'll get 4-5 days at the most without some kind of recharging plan like solar, or generator:(. I think your situation is kind of worthy of having a couple six's. But you will want to get used to taking a gander at the water level every month or so........
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frequency of use does not reduce the need for Ah, and the benefits of having capacity margin. Two 6V batteries gives you the most Ah for the money and is a very durable configuration. The only reason I wouldn't use this solution is if two 6V didn't physically fit.

Your charger may be working as designed but many chargers are a compromise between cost, size, and recovery time. I have one just like it - it would take days to recover a discharged battery and had too high a float voltage for storage. You could replace your converter with a modern multistage one that takes care of this. But in keeping with your inheritance preservation, my suggestion is whenever you're not using the trailer just disconnect the batteries and connect a maintainer. Easy, cheap, effective. A maintainer plus a new set of 6V batteries and you're going to be set for a long time.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've seen a lot of people recommend the T105's. What's the general consensus regarding flooded vs AGM? Seems like AGM might be worth spending a bit more in return for less maintenance concerns? A hundred or so over 5-8 years seems a small price to pay?
Old 03-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I got the Trojan t105's as I was told they would last the longest. I also replaced the charger with a PD unit from Best Converter. Check the water a few times a year and I should be good for a few years.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:44 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Seems like AGM might be worth spending a bit more in return for less maintenance concerns?

It's a judgement call for your application and preferences. One has to factor the cost of a replacement converter if the one they have can't charge AGM's.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
sort of in the same boat,, it is about cost, needs, personal preference and the Rv system..

I have an older RV 96, it had a replacemnt charger in 2013 before i got it.

I cannot fit 6v height.. or width for a 4d style.. I tried to shoe horn 2 - 31 but I was against solenoids.. Had to put a 27 and 31, enough to slide a thin rubber protector on each end..

So I can add another 27 in my inverter bay to piggy back.. 300 AH so I OK..
Local Advanced auto hooked by up 260ish out the door for 2 27 and a 29/31..

Fits my unit and budget,, In long storage I use a smart charger instead of the RV unit as I am not sure .

I was getting 3.5 years avg out of 2 27s and they worked fine in my other RV.. In my minnie, my avg amp use is higher at night.. Genny is used during the day 90%, the onan 4000 when AC, I have a 2200 i use otherwise or a 1000 but the 1000 seems to work hard charging and running heat etc..

Blah Blah.. I have not had issues with water. I just took out 2 24's I hammered since june ( log story) they are 3 years old.. they took not even half a 16oz bottle of distilled water..

lucky i guess.. i only use them 12-16 weekends a season
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:38 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
It's a judgement call for your application and preferences. One has to factor the cost of a replacement converter if the one they have can't charge AGM's.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
So AGM's require different charging than flooded batteries? Guess I need to head over to storage and dig out my converter/charger manual.

Tags
battery