Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
gray tank construction 22FQS

I'm planning on installing an electronic pressure sensor using a 3/4" uni-seal to provide a usable opening at the bottom of the (50 gal) tank. This requires drilling a 1.25" hole in the bottom.

My only concern is that inside the tank there might be stiffening ribs, and with that large a diameter, the odds go up of hitting one. To my surprise in inspecting the tank ahead of the operation, I discovered its black - so no chance at all of determining anything (unlike a more translucent tank.) After watching a video on spin roto molding, I"m thinking this is not a worry.

Anyone done this?

Any idea if the inside of the tank is uniform or not?

And - I"m not terribly concerned, but wall thickness for Uni-seals can't exceed 1/2". I'd be shocked (it would make it very heavy), but anything's possible. Anyone know that?

Thanks in advance
PaulStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2022, 11:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulStafford View Post
I'm planning on installing an electronic pressure sensor using a 3/4" uni-seal to provide a usable opening at the bottom of the (50 gal) tank. This requires drilling a 1.25" hole in the bottom.

My only concern is that inside the tank there might be stiffening ribs, and with that large a diameter, the odds go up of hitting one. To my surprise in inspecting the tank ahead of the operation, I discovered its black - so no chance at all of determining anything (unlike a more translucent tank.) After watching a video on spin roto molding, I"m thinking this is not a worry.

Anyone done this?

Any idea if the inside of the tank is uniform or not?

And - I"m not terribly concerned, but wall thickness for Uni-seals can't exceed 1/2". I'd be shocked (it would make it very heavy), but anything's possible. Anyone know that?

Thanks in advance
You can't get reinforcing ribs inside a roto mold tank. The along the corner will be thicker than the body of the tank.

Why are you putting a pressure sensor into a tank that's not meant to hold pressure?

Spin welding takes a little practice. I do it with a 1hp router.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:59 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks, no ribs is what I suspected.

the pressure sensor will give a signal proportional to how full it is. Max pressure will be about .8 psi. So you need a sensitive sensor.

This works very well- I've already installed and calibrated one in the fresh water tank. The signal goes to a Victron Tank 140, which conditions the signal so it can be displayed on the Cerbo GX/Touch 50. Here's a shot of the display with the fresh water tank level displayed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	377405  
Old 09-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, surprise, surprise. I also wrote to ORV service mgr. Here's his reply. I guess I DO have to worry about hitting a stiffening rib.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	377454  
Old 09-27-2022, 12:23 PM   #5

Seems like a lot of effort to go thru to get info of relatively little importance. Then again it's your mod, if it makes you happy go for it.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MT Camper- If I'm honest, modding the RV has turned into an obsession.

And a follow up in case anyone's interested- Rick wrote back after his first response- turns out only the fresh water tank has ribs, the gray and black do not.
Old 09-27-2022, 09:43 PM   #7

Quote:
MT Camper- If I'm honest, modding the RV has turned into an obsession.

And a follow up in case anyone's interested- Rick wrote back after his first response- turns out only the fresh water tank has ribs, the gray and black do not.

Ribs in a black/grey tank would prevent stuff from draining out of the tank.

On rotomold the ribs are depressions that can be seen from outside
Old 09-27-2022, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks, no ribs is what I suspected.

the pressure sensor will give a signal proportional to how full it is. Max pressure will be about .8 psi. So you need a sensitive sensor.

This works very well- I've already installed and calibrated one in the fresh water tank. The signal goes to a Victron Tank 140, which conditions the signal so it can be displayed on the Cerbo GX/Touch 50. Here's a shot of the display with the fresh water tank level displayed.

It won't be affected by the stuff in the tank?

I'd check to see if there's an external sender with the correct output to work with the Cerbo.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Ribs in a black/grey tank would prevent stuff from draining out of the tank.

On rotomold the ribs are depressions that can be seen from outside
yep.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:15 PM   #10

What are the "ribs" you are referring too here?
BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #11

I think you plan will work. This is what I do....I have 60 gallons of fresh water. When I'm nearly out of water, I'm nearly 2/3 full on either or both tanks. The factory sensors are really a "suggestion" of what could be.............
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray tank, tank