Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #1

Happy ORV customer with new roof

I want to thank Todd and all the folks at ORV for doing such a fine job on the installation of my new PVC roof. I have a 2020 Timber Ridge 25RDS that had bubbles all over the EPDM roof. ORV replaced the roof with PVC and did a great job. I think the sealing and the routing of solar panel wiring is actually better than the original.
I had read on this forum that ORV was insulating the passthrough area on the 2020 trailers as well. Todd told me that this area is still not insulated so I removed the panel separating the bedroom area and will be insulating that as well as the ceiling area of the passthrough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4157.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	346162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4246.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	346164  

Name:	IMG_4248.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	346166  
RandyandLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 06:38 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
The new roof looks great! Glad they stepped up and took care of things for you. Don't forget to insulate the underside of the bedside nightstands as well. It makes a difference in the surface temp of those in colder weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2023.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	346177  
Old 10-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The new roof looks great! Glad they stepped up and took care of things for you. Don't forget to insulate the underside of the bedside nightstands as well. It makes a difference in the surface temp of those in colder weather.
The underside of the bedside stands are actually insulated with Styrofoam. I attempted to remove the ceiling of the pass through area to insulate but it is nearly impossible to remove. I have also looked under the mattress at the area in front of the under-mattress-storage (space between pass through storage and front of bed) and it too looks like it would be difficult to remove. I don't know if that area is insulated or not. Any suggestions for that area?
Old 10-15-2021, 10:11 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I don't know if it is insulated in that area either. I did not attempt to open up the underside of the bed but my guess would be it's not insulated. I added the foam block insulation in the rear wall of the pass-through that your picture shows opened up, and also under the nightstands. We had used it a couple of times in colder weather before doing that and I could tell afterwards that it had made an improvement in the bedroom area.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Is ORV now starting to use a PVC membrane, or was that something you wanted?
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
PVC? really. Not TPM. No more rubber roofs?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyandLynn View Post
I want to thank Todd and all the folks at ORV for doing such a fine job on the installation of my new PVC roof. I have a 2020 Timber Ridge 25RDS that had bubbles all over the EPDM roof. ORV replaced the roof with PVC and did a great job. I think the sealing and the routing of solar panel wiring is actually better than the original.
I had read on this forum that ORV was insulating the passthrough area on the 2020 trailers as well. Todd told me that this area is still not insulated so I removed the panel separating the bedroom area and will be insulating that as well as the ceiling area of the passthrough.
Does this mean they will be switching over to PVC? Or is this a one-off?
laura970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:45 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is the PVC better than the EDPM that is used by many now? Is it like TPM?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura970 View Post
Does this mean they will be switching over to PVC? Or is this a one-off?
Todd told me they went to PVC about 6 months ago. I did some comparison research and I feel there are more positive qualities of PVC over EPDM. It is more reflective, stays cleaner, as dirt doesn’t stick to it like it does on EPDM. There are other aspects that I don’t recall right now, but I’m very happy with the installation.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:33 AM   #10

We have a PVC roof on our unit, and after 5 years it still looks new. Doesn’t get hot to the touch like EDPM on a sunny day.

Two concerns are, it is slicker when wet, and the material must be super clean before applying Eternal bond tape. Even then there has been more reports of it peeling up on the edges. Had a couple small areas that had started to peel up, but adding a small bead of Dicor along those edges took care of it.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV does not think that Eternal bond tape is a good idea on even EDPM roofs. How long has PVC roofs been in use?
Old 10-17-2021, 04:37 PM   #12

PVC roofing material has been out for a long time. But made a return on RV ‘s the last 5 years when they started using Levelor in the manufacturing process which gives its 96% solar reflectivity.

Would think it does a better job keeping the radiant heat out, than the reflective bubble wrap they use under the roof sheathing.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I hope it holds up in the sun better than white PVC pipe does.

Tags
roof