Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 04:15 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I guess no one told Mac the Fire Guy about the check valves to stop high flow in the system. Is he also an RV propane system expert? I have no doubt he is a fire expert, as that is his professional field. Does he know what my model year 2015 ORV 19B trailer is equipped, or not equipped, with for propane safety? I know the pressure regulator at the tank tee has the high flow check valve in it, maybe Mac doesn't?

I'm not being sarcastic, I want to know.

Do the systems built in to my (modern RVs) trailer to stop high flow such as a catastrophic failure of the propane piping increase the safety of the system against large leaks?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Actually there are built in safety features on propane cylinders/tanks and within the hoses/connections.
Excess flow check valves, spring loaded shut off valves & thermal bushes that melt and cause shut down of propane flow
Traveling with propane service valve OPEN is no more of a danger than running with gas/diesel fuel tank, fuel pump/pressurized fuel lines, pressurized oil lines/systems or batteries full of acid.

Read up on RV Propane systems and get a better understanding of the SAFETY of propane use.
You are correct.

Propane OPD - Overfill Prevention Device Cylinder Valves
Old 12-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #17
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
With respect....
This is a great device that only works to stop the tank from being overfilled..it does not restrict the flow of propane when the valves are open...please read below that I copied from the link you gave me.

"The OPD valve is only actuated during the filling process, not during operation. In other words, inverting a cylinder will cause an OPD float to actuate but it will not stop the flow of gas out of the cylinder. Why is this important to know? Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process.
OPD equipped propane cylinders will allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. [Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage." emphasis mine.

So I hope you folks don't think this mechanism will stop the propane flow during normal operation especially if your in an accident or rupture a line...it will not. If you have a rupture in your propane supply line between the propane tank and the appliances the only way to stop the flow is closing the tank valve...or it empties it self.

I will err on the side of my safety and run with my valves closed.
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #18
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I guess no one told Mac the Fire Guy about the check valves to stop high flow in the system. Is he also an RV propane system expert? I have no doubt he is a fire expert, as that is his professional field. Does he know what my model year 2015 ORV 19B trailer is equipped, or not equipped, with for propane safety? I know the pressure regulator at the tan tee has the high flow check valve in it, maybe Mac doesn't?

I'm not being sarcastic, I want to know.

Do the systems built in to my (modern RVs) trailer to stop high flow such as a catastrophic failure of the propane piping increase the safety of the system against large leaks?
Good question...here a link to his web site...you may want to ask him direct.

HOME

Send the folks at ORV an email as well.
Would be very interested what you find out.

Good comments
Coops
Old 12-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
With respect....
This is a great device that only works to stop the tank from being overfilled..it does not restrict the flow of propane when the valves are open...please read below that I copied from the link you gave me.

"The OPD valve is only actuated during the filling process, not during operation. In other words, inverting a cylinder will cause an OPD float to actuate but it will not stop the flow of gas out of the cylinder. Why is this important to know? Because the OPD valve is not designed to restrict flow out of the cylinder, it's only designed to stop flow into the cylinder during the filling process.
OPD equipped propane cylinders will allow liquid propane into gas lines and hoses if tipped over or inverted. [Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage." emphasis mine.

So I hope you folks don't think this mechanism will stop the propane flow during normal operation especially if your in an accident or rupture a line...it will not. If you have a rupture in your propane supply line between the propane tank and the appliances the only way to stop the flow is closing the tank valve...or it empties it self.

Correct OPD is a float actuated shutoff valve to prevent overfilling of propane containers (80% liquid level)

BUT Mac the Fire Guy is misinformed, uninformed or just is not aware of the safety features built into RV propane systems.

First off is the 'Excess Flow Devices' ........a ball/spring check valve assembly that operates off of 'equalized pressure'.
LP Regulator output is 0.4 psi (11" WC) and downstream pressure has to be same in order for ball to stay centered. Should a line rupture, a fitting break etc. downstream pressure will drop and the LP Regulator output pressure will be higher causing ball to move to closed position.

Secondly the compartments/areas of RV will not FILL with propane.....volume is lines/system is very small and only under 0.4 psi. You blow harder than that whistling.

Dometic, Norcold & Atwood ALL state that operating their brand of refrigerators while in transit is NOT an issue.

Nothing wrong with NOT wanting to operate propane while in transit.
BUT do so based on knowledge of systems/required safety features and not out of fear or misinformation.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:49 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
BUT Mac the Fire Guy is misinformed, uninformed or just is not aware of the safety features built into RV propane systems.
The world could use a hell of a lot less fear and a hell of a lot more facts. Thanks for more details on the safety devices in propane systems.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
With respect....

Sorry all for the incorrect advice. Thank you Lac!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I believe there is an "Excess Flow Safety Device" built into the regulators. I mistakenly thought it was part of the propane tank valve in my earlier post.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/parts/products/two-stage-auto-changeover-regulator-bulk-66-8631?gclid=CMG90sLH78kCFQEaaQodEVcKmQ

If I were to travel with the furnace on, I would turn it off as I do with my refrigerator, before pulling into a gas station. Never know if someone might get careless and accidently spray some fuel while filling.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwron View Post
Greetings one and all, Have read a few posts here RE: running heater while going down the road. I have read in the so called owners manual for my trailer that the fan will run on 12v power. I do not plan on running down the road with the heater on. Just wanted to know if it would be safe to do so? Would the flame blow out? has anyone in the group done this? Again just trying to learn more.

TIA

WWR
Yes, I do it and it's perfectly safe. When driving long distances, we often pull into rest stops to sleep. In the winter it's really nice to crawl into a warm bed. I don't normally run the water heater until I'm actually camping. Any hot water needs on the road are supplied by the stove (coffee pot, etc.).
Due to it's large volume, I don't worry about the water tank freezing, and we probably stop to use the bathroom and kitchen sink often enough they're not going to freeze, but, since I hate climbing into a cold camper, water lines are a non-issue anyway.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #24

Quote:
God forbid one has an accident while in transit, ruptures a propane line and a spark ignites the propane in the line.
There is no way to shut off the propane.
Coops
Quote:
With respect....
The OPD valve is only actuated during the filling process, not during operation. In other words, inverting a cylinder will cause an OPD float to actuate but it will not stop the flow of gas out of the cylinder.
OPD equipped [Overfill Prevention Devices are not a safety mechanism used or actuated during cylinder usage.
This is a great device that only works to stop the tank from being overfilled..it does not restrict the flow of propane when the valves are open.
Lac
No disrespect intended but I disagree with red highlighted portions of those statements

Quote:
Actually there are built in safety features on propane cylinders/tanks and within the hoses/connections.
Excess flow check valves, spring loaded shut off valves & thermal bushes that melt and cause shut down of propane flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
1bigmess
Old-Biscuit is correct

The "EXCESS FLOW VALVE" used on propane tanks is the device which will stop the flow of propane if/when a catastrophic failure occurs anywhere in the propane system.
(See this pdf: http://www.lp-gasequipment.com/produ...010_p45-51.pdf)

BTW, (as Lac stated), the "OVER FILL DEVICE", (aka: OPD valve), simply and only prevents overfilling... (IT IS NOT a safety mechanism to stop propane flow in the event of a catastrophic failure).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:46 PM   #25
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of the most important questions ask I myself is, “Do I want to be ‘right’ – or do I want to be happy?” Many times, the two are mutually exclusive!

Being right, defending our positions, takes an enormous amount of mental energy and often alienates us from the people in our lives. Needing to be right – or needing someone else to be wrong – encourages others to become defensive, and puts pressure on us to keep defending.

I want to be happy and have spent enough time on this when I could have spent it with my grandkids...you folks are right. ....thanks
Merry Christmas to you and yours
Coops
Old 12-22-2015, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
One of the most important questions ask I myself is, “Do I want to be ‘right’ – or do I want to be happy?” Many times, the two are mutually exclusive!

Being right, defending our positions, takes an enormous amount of mental energy and often alienates us from the people in our lives. Needing to be right – or needing someone else to be wrong – encourages others to become defensive, and puts pressure on us to keep defending.

I want to be happy and have spent enough time on this when I could have spent it with my grandkids...you folks are right. ....thanks
Coops
You have a point, do what makes you happy.
Why not be happy and right? 5, 10, 20 years down the line I may decide being 'right' means nothing.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #27

Quote:

Coops

Not trying to be defensive or 'right'.............just providing factual information so that you can be informed

Like I stated earlier...........your choice to do as you please but hopefully from an informed placed vs one from misinformation or out of fear.

Merry Christmas
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, travel