Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2021, 03:05 PM   #1

Help identifying vent on 21 RBS

I found some moisture in a closet at the rear of our new to us 2019 21 RBS. Looked on the roof to try and find where it could be coming from and the corner caulking looked like it might be the problem. Fast forward about a week (lots of rain, NW WA state) and I get a dry day to seal it and when I get up on the roof I see a cover plate on one of the vents is missing allowing a straight shot into the trailer. Pretty sure I would have noticed it missing when I first inspected that area and traveled a 150 miles since then so it could have blown off on the freeway. Talked to an ORV dealer and no one could tell me what that vent is for but thought a vent for the black tank. No sewage smell from it at all and I think I can see some foil and maybe some fiberglass insulation in there. I'm wondering if it vents the roof structure? If it does there's a bunch of water in there now and what do I do? Concerned about mold if it is a ceiling vent. I got a cover and replaced it and the local RV repair place also couldn't tell me for sure what the vent is for but it is called a sewage vent cover. It's located at the back of the roof about 16" ahead of the back edge and about 2-3' in from the passenger side. It's located above the pantry, not the closet where I'm finding the moisture. Any help appreciated, we're just getting started on the rainy season here. Looked for a phone number to call ORV directly but couldn't find one? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	E553740A-A3FA-4F02-B833-5A7590C24A65.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	347464
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That looks like o e of the roof / attic vents. Depending on how wet it got in there, I'd try to get some air circulating through the roof structure. If you're lucky, it didn't get to wet and you'll be able to dry it. Good luck, I hope things turn out well for you.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I hope it didn't get too wet in there. The moisture on the wall in the closet (looked like it was weeping through in a 3" band) seems to have dried up even though it's been steady hard rain all day.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:57 AM   #4

Yep, attic vent and it's a common thing to loose the cap......I'm really surprized the dealer couldn't tell you what it is if they saw a picture.

Dave
Old 10-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #5

Our dealer (Apache, Everett) replaced the attic vent cover for free when ours disappeared. Use some loctite to keep it from coming loose.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #6

Thanks for confirming what I suspected but the dealer (Apache - Everett) and repair shop said it was a vent for the black tank. I hope not too much water got in there, we're supposed to have several days of sun so that should help.
Will Loctite (blue) hold on PVC? I was going to use some 3M 4200.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #7

If it is the black tank vent, it will have a vent pipe coming up through it:
Old 10-29-2021, 06:33 PM   #8

Thanks for the pic Dave. That's what I expected to see if it was a plumbing vent. I'm sure it is the roof vent and I don't think too much water got in. Haven't seen any leaks in the ceiling. The moisture I saw in the closet seems to be condensation and I've found several other places on the walls and in other cabinets where there is condensation forms, maybe where the aluminum frames are. It only shows up when it's really wet outside and we have the heat on (lots of condensation on the windows and frames too). So I don't think it was water from the ceiling.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #9

This type of roof construction, batten insulation with no vapor barrier, can have serious moisture, and mold issues in the roof. If it was my unit, I would remove the vent shroud on the inside bathroom, and pull down the insulation, and with a flashlight inspect for mold, or moisture on the underside roof sheathing.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #10

bneukam- now you have me worried. I know the vent cap was there when we bought the trailer a couple of weeks ago in MT. I "think" it must have blown off on our return from a few days on the WA coast and it was about a week before I discovered it missing. We had some rain during that time but not a lot before I covered the base until I got the new cover and installed it. Do you think there could be a mold problem from it's two + years in MT, or from the rain while the cover was missing. How common is this mold problem in ORVs?
Thanks
Old 10-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #11

So after reading about loosing a vent cap I decided I better check what I have on my 21RBS. Mine was in the left front area of the trailers above the over head cabinets over the bed. Mine was loose as it was easy to turn by hand. So I put some teflon tape over the threads of the bolt sticking up to try and tighten up the cap so it wouldn't unscrew. Well that didn't work so I put a dab of caulk on the threads of the cap and when that cures it should be harder to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer_cap.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	347630  
Old 10-30-2021, 11:44 PM   #12

Help identifying vent on 21 RBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
bneukam- now you have me worried. I know the vent cap was there when we bought the trailer a couple of weeks ago in MT. I "think" it must have blown off on our return from a few days on the WA coast and it was about a week before I discovered it missing. We had some rain during that time but not a lot before I covered the base until I got the new cover and installed it. Do you think there could be a mold problem from it's two + years in MT, or from the rain while the cover was missing. How common is this mold problem in ORVs?

Thanks

No, I don’t think it’s common, but then again most don’t inspect their roofs attics. But due to its lack of proper materials it can be an issue depending on its prior usage.

It’s very easy to inspect the underside of the roof sheathing by removing the fan screws on the inside, and removing the fan trim. Then you have reasonable access to inspect by pulling down on the insulation, and radiant barrier. I would do this on a regular schedule.

If the insulation did get wet it will not dry out on its own, and it needs to be removed. Batten insulation is like a sponge, and will cause problems before it has any chance to dry out.

Is the vent close to a fan? If so it would be the very least to inspect, and feel for wet insulation.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #13

That sounds like good advice. The vent is only about two feet away from the fan in the bathroom. I'll tear into it and see if I can get access under the vent.
Thanks, last thing I want is black mold.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:05 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I noticed my attic vent cap was loose. Tightened it and a few days later it was loose again after towing 500 miles.

Solved it by using locktight on the bolt. Never loose again.

Keep an eye on it every time you get on the roof.

If you look closely along the side of the highway, you'll see these laying there.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent