Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #15
R.B

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
So, for a guy who knows absolutely nothing about electricity, I have a question: If we assume that this particular campground was consistently 132-134v, was it "toasting" all the 110v equipment in trailers across the park? Or can the average trailer get by with that much overvoltage on the fridge, microwave, A/C, and other standard 110v equipment in most trailers? I don't carry anything to check voltage before I plug in. Is ignorance bliss in most cases?
At a previous job we had a consistent over-voltage in the upper 120s because of how close to the transformer hub we were. What we found is that some things would have no issues at all while other electronics would die prematurely. The ones that had the most problems were those with power supplies that stepped down the power, such as those in computer towers. The capacitors would bulge and eventually rupture, "leaking" out through the top.

I doubt something in the low 130s will damage anything immediately; rather, it will be a cumulative effect over time where it leads to an early death of an electrical item.
R.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #16

And this is why I always convert all incoming power to DC and then invert as needed. Chargers are relatively insensitive to this problem.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #17

Hi all. I'm a little chagrined at some of the posts to this thread. I posted the thread as a friendly heads up and reminder to pay attention to pedestals. I commented about the ranger simply to note that I had tried to get the word to the local authoritie. The ranger was embarassed at the situation. he was polite and would have done something had he been able. The issue is apparently a provider problem and has been occuring for some time. Certainly many rv's were connected directly with no ill effects. We chose not to do that. The campground itself was busy with a lot of turnover. its primary value is location. The drive from Lake Louise to Jasper was spectacular. Well worth the trip. So please don't beat up the poor ranger or cg staff, they were helpful and doing their best.
colobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobear View Post
Hi all. I'm a little chagrined at some of the posts to this thread. I posted the thread as a friendly heads up and reminder to pay attention to pedestals. I commented about the ranger simply to note that I had tried to get the word to the local authoritie. The ranger was embarassed at the situation. he was polite and would have done something had he been able. The issue is apparently a provider problem and has been occuring for some time. Certainly many rv's were connected directly with no ill effects. We chose not to do that. The campground itself was busy with a lot of turnover. its primary value is location. The drive from Lake Louise to Jasper was spectacular. Well worth the trip. So please don't beat up the poor ranger or cg staff, they were helpful and doing their best.
Thanks. We had reservations made at that same campground around mid-August but at that time the smoke was so heavy the mountains were invisible beyond a ¼ mile so we cancelled. The high voltage wouldn't have deterred me from staying there as its definitely a beautiful area but I'm thinking next time we'll book in June to beat both the summer tourists and fire season.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by colobear View Post
I am here offering an apology for my comment on firing the Ranger.
At the least someone at the front desk should have known about the power issue and should have informed anyone checking in to be aware of this and take necessary precautions. A printed handout given out with the payment receipt would suffice.
I'm curious what brand and model your circuit protector is. It sounds like the protector did it's job. I have been gathering information to make an informed purchase. I don't have one now but after reading this thread I believe it's time I did before the next camping season.
Respectfully,
Lynn
Old 09-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #20

Thank Lynn. We had an electoral 'event' happen to our last trailer so when I bought this trailer I immediately installed a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C to protect it. We also carry a generator now not only for dry camping but for backup just in case there is a pedestal problem.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Thank Lynn. We had an electoral 'event' happen to our last trailer so when I bought this trailer I immediately installed a Progressive Industries EMS HW30C to protect it. We also carry a generator now not only for dry camping but for backup just in case there is a pedestal problem.
Thank You. I'll add this model to my list. I plan to buy a protector soon while it is fresh on my mind. I'm putting the MH into winter storage soon and will forget about it for a while.
The protector could be used with your generator. Who knows? Something could go haywire with the generator's voltage regulator and send high or low voltage through your shore cord to your RV.
Lynn
Old 09-30-2018, 07:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy the sly old fox View Post
Unless you have CPAP machines, the only real 110V item in your TT is the microwave - and it is unpluggable if you are really concerned about it. The converter will be able to handle the extra voltage.

You have 12V USB ports for phones and tablets.

Now I suppose that I have overlooked a few entertainment items like a blue ray player, a dish box and perhaps some wi-fi or cellular extenders. But if you boondock I suspect they would also run on DC power.

Now I would probably switch the fridge to gas and not use the AC element in the HWH.
Did you forget the Air Conditioner????
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:41 AM   #23

Quote:
Was it used as a polling place during the election?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Did you forget the Air Conditioner????
Yes I rarely use
Old 09-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Was it used as a polling place during the election?
Probably not lol. I call it an event because no one knows for sure what happened other than something happened to take out the board on the fridge. The dealership covered it under warranty and that's the last I heard of it. Could have been a bad board for all I know but installing an EMS just seemed like a good idea.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:45 PM   #26

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
So, for a guy who knows absolutely nothing about electricity, I have a question: If we assume that this particular campground was consistently 132-134v, was it "toasting" all the 110v equipment in trailers across the park? Or can the average trailer get by with that much overvoltage on the fridge, microwave, A/C, and other standard 110v equipment in most trailers? I don't carry anything to check voltage before I plug in. Is ignorance bliss in most cases?
Need to. There is such a thing as hot skin that can actually kill. It’s a case of the wiring in the pedestal being out of whack mostly from lack of proper grounding.

Google: hot skin rv.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:04 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not knocking the Canadian National Parks, but a couple of years ago we were at the PEI NP and the gate guy gave us a spot in a brand new camping loop.

But my EMS complained (bad ground IIRC?). Same at the spot next to us. So I tried a spot in an older loop and no problem. So I complained to the gate guy and switched to the old loop.

Next day I saw a couple of electricians busily checking pedestals all over the campground. Prolly the same guys who had mis-wired the new loop. Problem should be fixed by now.

Anyway, we now carry a separate plug-in tester and V readout that we use before going to all the trouble of backing in and setting up at an electrical site.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:05 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Probably not lol. I call it an event because no one knows for sure what happened other than something happened to take out the board on the fridge. The dealership covered it under warranty and that's the last I heard of it. Could have been a bad board for all I know but installing an EMS just seemed like a good idea.

Best investment for your RV is an EMS from Progressive. They're the best, either portable or a hard wired version!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote