Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2022, 03:06 AM   #43

I'll have to measure at the front then I guess. I will say that the front seems to lift about the same with or with out the bars connected. I will have to put a tape on it to be sure.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2022, 07:32 PM   #44

Undermount coupler will make it interesting to get a WD jhitch that will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yes, ORV has higher hitch heights than most and while this creates an issue with some of our tailgates, everything is a trade-off; the tongue is stronger and has more ground clearance when mounted flush like the Northwood units compared to being tacked on underneath and the extra ground clearance from the suspension, etc. makes taking the trailer offroad a much easier proposition. In my case, without the extra height of an ORV, the trailer would hit the ground going up my driveway so it's a very necessary trade-off.

I'll probably just get an undermount coupler and do it right.

Dave
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
I'll have to measure at the front then I guess. I will say that the front seems to lift about the same with or with out the bars connected. I will have to put a tape on it to be sure.

John
If that's truly the case, you need some adjustment of your hitch. By definition, it's supposed to transfer some weight from the rear axle of the Tow Vehicle to the front axle.

There are several adjustments, more lift on the end bars, more angle to the head of your hitch, ball height, distance from axle all play into how they work.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:51 AM   #46

What a difference a hitch can make, i left the dlr with a BluIx 2 point and the ride was horrible, would not stay straight and was relegated to 55mph max to be comfortable. Went back on our way home to o get the SwayPro that i had asked for and now comfortable at 70.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
We picked up our 26kvs yesterday and they did not have the hitch i asked for, its still a BlueOx but not the SwayPro so going back on Thursday to swap hitches, i have clearance to open the tail gate with the trlr unhooked but the tailgate does rest on the hitch a bit when connected. Truck is 2022 Ram 2500
Old 09-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #47

Quote:
Undermount coupler will make it interesting to get a WD jhitch that will work
You'd only have to extend the chains on that type but it's a moot point for me as I don't need or use a WD hitch with my F350 dually towing my 25RDS. If you did use a WD hitch you would lose clearance with the bars as they would be 5-6" lower but it would work fine.

Dave
Old 09-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #48

Got it, when i had a dually i got to where i attached the chains very loose as i got tired of people telling me i needed them when i stopped for fuel or to park. Also had to tell them they were wrong about me pulling 2 bumper pulls.
Old 09-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Got it, when i had a dually i got to where i attached the chains very loose as i got tired of people telling me i needed them when i stopped for fuel or to park.
Yeah, I did the math and I could use another couple thousand pounds in the bed to make my weights look better! .....as it is, my trailer is a very light load for the truck, particularly as far as tongue weight is concerned (and it's no lightweight at 1280 lbs). Steering axle weight is still more than a stock, empty gas F350 as well.....just no need to redistribute any weight and this way I don't have to remember to re&re the bars every time I go in and out of my driveway.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 10-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 2022 F350 SRW 4x4. MY TT is a 2019 25RDS. I have a Husky Centerline WDH as well. My tailgate would hit the hitch, right at the camera. Mind you, the tailgate on the F350 protrudes at the top, which is the very part that ends up hitting the hitch - if they just made the tailgate flush it would not be a problem! Brilliant engineering work there, Ford.

First thing I did was get an underslung coupler to lower the hitch a couple of inches. https://www.etrailer.com/A~Frame_Tra...CA-5335-B.html

This helps, but in my case I still hit it when the tailgate was down.

My Husky hitch came with a 2 inch shaft and my truck is 2.5 inches (thanks for that one, too, Ford!!!!!) so I had to use a sleeve in there which also added to the slop. So I replaced the shaft with one from Gen-Y https://genyhitch.com/product/boss-t...-distribution/

This shank is the proper 2.5 inches, but it also has its own "suspension" that is supposed to smooth things out. (Jury is still out on that as I just did this the other day and have only driven a few miles with it.)

My new shank and the hitch together are way too heavy for me to remove/re-attach on a regular basis, and since I am going to Full Time in this set up I need the tailgate to sit flush. So, I am leaving the shank and the hitchball "permanently" attached to my truck (which makes this beast of a vehicle even longer and more difficult to park).

By its design, the Gen-Y shank naturally sticks out a lot more than a "normal" one would, but the other thing about this shank - it has two holes in the shaft, and I choose to use the hole that makes this stick out even more!

The net-net of this is that it all sticks out far enough that the tailgate does fully open when I am not hooked up (it would still bump it once the coupler from the trailer is connected though) AND it should provide for a better ride based on its built in suspension.

I hope it does make a difference in the ride qualtiy because this underslung coupler (and the welding to put it in place), the Gen-Y thing plus its install, and the re-install of the WDH (all the pieces needed to be re-worked because of the differences in the coupler height relative to the frame) costs me around $1300. The bummer is that I am not entirely sure that this Gen-Y thing is going to make any difference in the ride smoothness or not - but at least I can open my tailgate all the way!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221002_142230.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	377780   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221002_142034.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	377781  

BlaineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:58 PM   #51

I get the torsion part of the GenY but not in concert with the WDH forces applied to it.
I'll be watching this as it looks like a nice setup.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #52

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Geez! That thing is a monster! What's the weight?
Old 10-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I do not know how much it weighs. I had it installed by the local Gen-Y distributor, and had them attach my Husky hitch ball as well. Because of the weight and the bulk, I do not intend to remove it (as much of a bummer it is to have that thing constantly sticking out of the truck).

re: the potential conflict between the torsion forces and WDH forces - I am not sure, either. I chose this setup without seeing anyone else having done things like this, but this hitch from Gen-Y is designed to be used with WDH's.
BlaineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:35 AM   #54
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineB View Post
I do not know how much it weighs. I had it installed by the local Gen-Y distributor, and had them attach my Husky hitch ball as well. Because of the weight and the bulk, I do not intend to remove it (as much of a bummer it is to have that thing constantly sticking out of the truck).

re: the potential conflict between the torsion forces and WDH forces - I am not sure, either. I chose this setup without seeing anyone else having done things like this, but this hitch from Gen-Y is designed to be used with WDH's.
Another positive thing is it helps protect the rear-end of the truck. I have a step-bumper from Weather Tech:
https://www.weathertech.com/billet-bumpstep/
I had somebody hit us in the rear and she did not get thru the step bumper, but it did damage her vehicle by damaging her radiator.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineB View Post

I used the same setup with an Equalizer Hitch for my old Desert Fox toy hauler. It extended beyond my Ford tailgate as well. You are going to love it as it really smooths out the towing experience and really works well with a weight distribution. I purchased a new 16k equalizer hitch to use with the GenY shank for my new 27TRX but the equalizer only has a 1400 lb tongue weight limit for the 16k head which really makes no sense at all considering the 10-15% tongue weight rule and my tongue weight exceeds the 1400 lbs. I ended up getting the Weigh Safe 21k WD system which does not tow as smoothly as the GenY/Equalizer set up. The camera on my Ford hits the trailer coupler with my Weigh Safe WD hitch which is a bummer. If I set the up the hitch one inch nose low my tailgate clears the coupler by 3/4 inch so that’s how I’ve been towing putting more weight on the bars and more air in the air bags to bring it back to level. A little harsher ride but I can lower the tailgate without worry as I usually have a lot of gear back there.
CoWapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:28 AM   #56

I had the same problem with my '16 F150 FX4.
Fixed it by buying a F350 Tremor! ��

Tags
hitch