Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hot water recirc alternatives

It seems like a common approach is to plumb a T into the hot line (near point of use like shower or kitchen faucet) that returns to the low pressure side (say the fresh water tank fill pipe) with a normally-closed solenoid and an electrical timer. This periodically renews the hot water in the supply line to the point of use, so you don't waste water waiting for it to be hot. Clever...

However, unless the timer runs fairly often (< 10 min), the hot water in the line has time to cool off, and reduces the effectiveness. Sometimes you get lucky (its just run), and sometimes it's been 10-30 min...Also, its possible the timer kicks off just after you turn on the tap, and you have no pressure till its run its cycle.

An alternative is to simply wire a push button to the solenoid. Before you need hot water, push the button for 5 seconds - then the supply line has really hot water, every time. Positives: saves water like the other methods, ensures really hot water at every use, reduces water pump usage, and much simpler to wire than than an asymmetric timer. Negatives: slight annoyance having to push a button for 5 seconds first.

Love to hear feedback on this approach
PaulStafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 04:08 PM   #2

I looked into this on my coach, but never got around to it. https://tweetys.com/aqua-view-smc001...RoCDSsQAvD_BwE
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:14 PM   #3

Recirculating works great at home. Just set it, and forget it.......should work great on the road too! keep us posted
Ol Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problem with an automatic or timed recirculation system is you're heating water more often. If you're on shore power with an electric water heater than this is inconsequential but boondocking running on propane you're burning through fuel to keep the pipes hot. You'd get to hear your water pump grumble from time to time which may or may not be annoying.

Ideally, the hot water feeds to all the fixtures would be in series and you would only need one return circuit from the farthest fixture to serve all of them. But that's not how mine's plumbed, so it would require a return from each fixture. I personally like the timed button, just bump it, wait and it's ready. But that wouldn't be a cheap or easy refit. I've seen a manual valve on some Winnebago units, looks like a sink shutoff valve you manually turn, wait, and turn off again. Called "eco hot". Not "foolproof" but cheap/easy and can sell it as a feature.

Recycling cold water while boondocking is an option but less convenient, so I'm trying to decide what fixtures, and what method might be the best way to go myself.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:31 AM   #5

We put in this almost 4 years ago (two weeks after picking up the coach new), and never looked back. Instant hot water at every faucet and in the shower. I go an extra sensor valve so I could do the galley loop and the 1/2 bath/full bath/shower loop (just one pump can serve multiple loops).

Watts Premier Instant Hot Water Recirculating Pump System

I removed the timer pins...the pump runs constantly (uses little energy). We had the same system in several prior stick-and-brick homes.

This works with hookups or when boon docking...and it's real a hot water saver when boon docking.

hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
shower miser

I used the aqua-view shower miser in my RV. It has worked great for the last several years. It saves on the water until it's hot.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:22 PM   #7

Please see the post below.....This is a post I did sometime back. Sorry the pics are sideways. I used the bathroom light switch(never use it, it's just "on" all the time) that is on the outside of the bathroom to switch the pump on and off as I want it. I turn it on 30 seconds before i want to shower. Then turn it off and there is instant hot water at the shower. About 3 seconds to get hot water to the basin.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f282/hot...mp-546175.html
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water