RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #1

How to best dry out trailer after severe vacuum breaker leak?

Hello all,
I just did the first black tank flush on our 2020 Backcountry 24RKS. Unfortunately, a poorly tightened fitting on the vacuum breaker led to a leak that covered the whole floor of the bathroom and eventually leaked down through the underbelly and out through a hole in the coroplast. I tightened up the fitting, mopped up the water and dried out the interior with a box fan, but am wondering if I need to pull the coroplast now to ensure that the subfloor and insulation dry out?

brrradj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would think so....
The Nails they used to put it in are pretty easy to get out.
Will need a claw to do it.

I used one of these and it worked like a champ.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Estwing-9-i...Bar/1000402797

camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 11:34 PM   #3

Another thing that will really help is rent a dehumidifier and run it 24 hours a day with the rig closed up for several days. Leave the box fan on low to circulate the air inside. If the insulation in the belly is saturated, it will need to be opened up at least enough to allow the moisture out. A small fan blowing up into an opening will help.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:25 AM   #4

If the batten insulation got wet, it all needs to be removed. Once itís wet itís ruined, and can also spur mold growth.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:57 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just sayin'...

I would personally think it's covered by warranty so let the people who screwed it up fix it.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:37 AM   #6

Thanks all for the advice. While it is under warranty, none of the local ORV dealers can get me in until mid-July so trying to minimize water damage in the meantime (kind of feels like I'm on my own on this and the other warranty issues I've had if I want to be able to use my trailer at all this year). Fortunately (I guess), I have an access panel in the cloroplast right where the leak occurred and can open that up relatively easy to allow some airflow into the underbelly and subfloor.
brrradj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting, my dealer places warranty work above the rest. If I have a warranty issue they move me to the top of the list....

Good luck
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrradj View Post

Fortunately (I guess), I have an access panel in the cloroplast right where the leak occurred and can open that up relatively easy to allow some airflow into the underbelly and subfloor.
Maybe you can get a small heater+fan up there?
Our underbelly routinely gets water in it from running in the rain. I've cut drain flaps at the low points to help it drain.

But you've prolly also got water in the above-frame wood floor with the fibreglas batten insulation. That could be a problem. But drying it all out asap is the most important.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #9

If you can find a local independent shop that can fit you in sooner, might try calling ORV to see if they would authorize them to do the warranty work..
Old 05-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrradj View Post
Hello all,
I just did the first black tank flush on our 2020 Backcountry 24RKS. Unfortunately, a poorly tightened fitting on the vacuum breaker led to a leak that covered the whole floor of the bathroom and eventually leaked down through the underbelly and out through a hole in the coroplast. I tightened up the fitting, mopped up the water and dried out the interior with a box fan, but am wondering if I need to pull the coroplast now to ensure that the subfloor and insulation dry out?
Sounds like a real pain, sorry you experienced this with your new unit. Any lessons learned that you can pass along to the rest of us to help us avoid something similar? Not familiar with the physical location or where the vacuum breaker is in the piping system.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:46 PM   #11

If you canít find a dealer to do it, then I would take it back to the factory for repairs. Had a neighbor at my storage condo experience this same issue.

He removed the coroplast, and the two layers of batten insulation, then had a fan run up from the underneath that laid on blocks for about a week. He then replaced the batten insulation with Rockwool batts. It repels water, and itís r value isnít diminished when it gets wet, like fiberglass batts. Itís not an easy job.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:32 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call Outdoor!! If you've placed your complaint on here, others will access to it. Something like this can make bad news for Outdoor.
I love my Timber Ridge, but do have some head scratching when Outdoor claims to "check" each unit as it comes off the line. We had a faulty back flow connection, but it was discovered and repaired at the dealer quickly.
Keep us informed.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:06 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The back flow valve on our black tank flush is located in the electrical cabinet along with the WFCO distribution panel and converter, EMS and transfer switch. If that valve ever leaked it would be a major disaster. Thankfully it never has; knock on wood.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:16 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If it were me, I would do two things......

Call Todd Morton at ORV and explain what happened. That will give them a heads up on the repair the dealer will do. ORV is easy to work with on issues like yours. They stand behind their product.

I would open the bottom up and see how wet it is. If not bad, or confined to a very small area, let it air out. If worse, pull the batting out and the plastic thermal blanket and let the floor dry. You do not want the floor plywood sitting with dampness until mid July. Obviously you cannot travel with the chloroplast removed if there is other insulation in behind there. If at all doable by yourself, I would just dive in and do the work. The dealer will take weeks to repair it. They have to wait for the OK from ORV and parts etc.

Like mentioned, the insulation is unusable after it gets wet. It has to be replaced.

Good luck.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, leak, trailer