RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #1

Ideas for keeping fridge and cabinets closed

Just came back from a short camping trip. On the way to the campsite I was exiting a gas station with a tight turn. The inside trailer wheels went over about a 8" curb (at about 5mph, I was watching it in my mirror the whole time), other than that the trip was uneventful, only on smooth paved roads. Arriving at the campsite discovered that the fridge door had opened (breaking a hinge somehow in the process) and the pantry and under sink cabinets also opened. Both my wife and myself had checked that the fridge and cabinets were closed before departing.

Fortunately nothing was broken other than the fridge door. I will be more careful of my packing in the future (no heavy items in the fridge door, no heavy items on top cabinet shelves, etc.) but was also thinking of coming up with something to secure the doors better. ORV advertises off road capability and while the trailer is certainly capable it seems the interior cabinets, fridge doors, etc., may need some help if a 8" curb at slow speed caused this carnage.

Hoping you could share your solutions for dealing with this. Thanks...
dogbreath650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8” curb is a big bump for any RV tire regardless of speed.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #3

Depends on WHICH fridge you have several various options
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover

Cabinets.....several means/methods
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

Thanks Biscuit for the links, lots of ideas to sift through. Hoping to find something just to use while traveling that would be out of the way and not too noticeable when the doors are in use while parked.
dogbreath650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #5

Your Norcold refrigerator may need to door reinforcement kit. Several posts here describing how to do that.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

We've had issues with our cabinet doors and the oven door coming open. I put tension bars across the little "hallway" from the door/s to the other side of the hallway to keep the doors closed. We've not experienced the struggle with the fridge though. I do always put smaller tension bars inside the fridge to keep the "surprises" to a minimum when we open the doors the door for the first time after some travel. Hope this helps.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
No problem with our frig or stove. But we routinely run cords thru the drawer and cupboard handles and tie them off to hooks I've installed.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #8

Given the several bone-jarring roads we navigated recently (that shook our new dinette window valence off) I was pleasantly surprised to find that our fridge was still in the same place! Our Norcold's latch seems pretty secure but I have entertained the thought of adding a velcro backup with double-backed tape.

The cabinet door below the sink opened because somebody (whose name will not be mentioned) put some poorly secured heavy things against it. Velcro is cheap though so those doors will probably see it employed soon as some potentially bumpy roads could be in our near future. It's why we bought a 'Backcountry', right?
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:16 PM   #9

There are spring loaded hinges and tension adjustable drawer runners........European hidden hinges also that are spring loaded...
Old 09-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #10

I had a cabinet shop - bought Blum hinges by the 100's. No euro hinges I know of have enough spring tension that I would rely on them in a travel trailer. Some kind of positive catch or straps are needed. You could use rare earth magnets as long as you didn't use some that Godzilla himself couldn't open. I believe Rockler sells sets of rare earths in various strengths with a matching 'washer'. Since ORV cabinet doors are full overlay there might be enough overlay that they would work.
Gammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Don't have the issue with the refrigerator door, but we use short bungees from Harbor Freight to tie the handles of the cabinet doors so they can't open. If they try to, the bungee snaps them shut again.

Gotta make sure they are all closed before departure.....I double check my wife's work inside and she does a second walk around outside.

An 8" curb will bend your rim if you aren't careful, depending on your speed. Don't ask how I know this.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #12

We now use bungees on the cabinet doors but (so far) the only one that has opened previously was the pantry....made a big enough mess though to go the bungee route. Haven't had the refrigerator open. This was after traveling 35 miles on forest service roads to our campground so the ride was a little rough in places.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've been lucky so far with the fridge, factory locks are holding the doors shut. On all my double cabinets, I use a short piece of p-line with a bowling tied on each end. Slip it over the handles, and the cabinets stay shut. On the stove, a longer piece of p-line with a bowling on one end, slipped onto the stove grate then tied in a clove hitch around the oven handle. No problems with anything opening that's been tied shut.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #14

We have a Norcold, no issues so far but we put these https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Cupbo...G2NGJ0P70KDBQC on each shelf of our fridge.

Tags
fridge