Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
For those that have installed the smart shunt, I hear the bluetooth
range is not so good.
What type of range do you get from the shunt to your phone typically?
My Wind River 280RLS is 34' from bumper to hitch. When I'm sitting in my chair at the back of the trailer it is hit and miss, but if I take a couple steps towards the front it is solid. Would be nice to have a bit longer range but it's certainly not a big deal given the ease of installation (no wires to route through the trailer) and the wealth of information that it provides.

I also love that I can simply drive to the front of my trailer when it is in storage and check the battery readings without even having to get out of the truck. That will be really handy this winter!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #16

So mine is in the pass through and I have signal to the table at the back of my 20BD and also when sitting in the truck. Smart shunt is mounted vertical on forward wall if orientation matters. Same with Orion charger . I usually use the Wi-fi access point on my Cerbo GX now to access Control panel which gives me all the info I need when parked and use the bluetooth on the Smart shunt or Orion charger when we travel. Smart shunt is better as then I get charge total from charger and solar combined.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My Start Shunt is mounted on the front wall of the pas through along with the Victron Multuplus and dongle. I can receive Blue tooth signal all the way aft sitting at my dinette (25RDS). Most times I have to orient my iPhone with the back of phone facing forward, then I get a good signal.
Teakmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:15 AM   #18

I opted to mount the BMV-712 shunt in a waterproof junction box on the front frame of the trailer. I ran 1/2 inch pex pipe along the outboard edge of the passenger side of the trailer. I drilled one hole through the base of the sink cabinet and through the floor of the trailer and threaded the RJ12 cable into the cabinet and mounted the display head to this cabinet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_130015.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	361629   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220405_130523.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	361630  

Name:	20220405_130653.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	361631  
SteveG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 05:13 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Fyi -

Typical Victron SmartShunt or BMV712 settings. Lithium (lead acid)

Battery Bank size to gross AH.
Charged voltage .2v less than charger absorb voltage.
Tail current to 2% (4%)
PK to 1.05 (125)
Charge efficiency to 99% (95%)

Floor typically 10-20% (50%), this is used in the time remaining estimate.

Turn off starts synchronized.

Don't manually synchronize
. With these settings it should automatically sync to 100% when battery bank is fully charged (charged voltage AND tail current met for time). See history tab, last full charge field to see when occured.
Could you elaborate on these 2 items? I just installed a SmartShunt and looking at the instructions it "seems" like I should turn off "Battery start synchronized", as you sugggest, but then would want to "Manually Synchronize" each time i fire up the app to check my battery status. You are saying not to manually synchronize. I assume that you just wait for it to automatically synchronize when you start the app? How long does that typically take? And why not manually synchronize? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Could you elaborate on these 2 items? I just installed a SmartShunt and looking at the instructions it "seems" like I should turn off "Battery start synchronized", as you sugggest, but then would want to "Manually Synchronize" each time i fire up the app to check my battery status. You are saying not to manually synchronize. I assume that you just wait for it to automatically synchronize when you start the app? How long does that typically take? And why not manually synchronize? Thanks.
The SmartShunt or BMV712 count amps in and out of the battery bank to determine SoC. Whenever it 'synchronizes' the counting is restarted from zero and SoC is set to 100%.

It's important to ensure the synchronization occurs when the battery is truly full charged. The battery bank is fully charged when the tail current has dropped during absorption.

The monitor automatically synchronizes and sets 100% SoC when the 'Charged Voltage' AND 'Tail Current' have been met for a duration of the 'Charged Detection Time'.

Set charged voltage at about .2v below the charger absorption voltage setting. Tail current typically at 2% for lithium, 4% for lead acid. And time at the default of 3 minutes is usually good. Adjust from there as needed.

You can typically tell when 100% was set on the history tab - last full charge.

##$

Turn off start synchronized. This will confuse the SoC percentage indication if the monitor is restarted for any reason.

Name:	FB_IMG_1640361789945.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	361993
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ok. That makes sense. I was misunderstanding the synchronize function, thinking it was simple telling the shunt to update the app with current information. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 04-13-2022, 10:51 PM   #22

I installed the Victron BMV712 in my trailer. I ran the cable for it inside conduit that I installed under the trailer. I installed an inverter at the same time so cables for the inverter went in the same conduit.

I don't use the display very much, but I learned from Victron that the bluetooth is in the display, which I think is why I don't have any issues with range. If you only have the SmartShunt, the bluetooth signal is at the shunt, which is why I think some people do have range issues.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:06 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningMore View Post
I don't use the display very much, but I learned from Victron that the bluetooth is in the display, which I think is why I don't have any issues with range. If you only have the SmartShunt, the bluetooth signal is at the shunt, which is why I think some people do have range issues.
Agree, can be a factor. Adding the Bluetooth dongle to the SmartShunt can help to mitigate coverage issues by providing radio positioning flexabilty. I often recommend to go with the SmartShunt if thinking it will work ok - and then csn always add the dongle if needed.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:54 AM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In addition to increased Bluetooth range of the display, it allows you to reset the conditions it’s tracking. For instance if you want to know what your deepest discharge day to day you can reset that parameter every day, but you have to use the display and toggle through the displays. If you want to start out with a zero rate discharge before a trip to see what you used you have to reset it on the display. The app doesn’t allow for this. At least I haven’t figured it out.
spogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not aware of that feature difference. Only the display and related function.

Are you synchronizing to make that usage reset count happen happen? If so, the same could be done in the app. Not really what it's intended for, but if it works for you, ok. But you have to truly be at 100% SoC as it resets SoC as well. And would synchronize again on next full charge if properly configured.
Old 04-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #26

I went under, putting the cable in a loom for additional protection.
Came through the floor into a pantry, mounted display on outside of cabinet by 120V monitor.
Sealed hole, done.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I'd suggest to use the app before going to the effort to run a cable for the remote. Easier to use and more effectively informative, imho. If you don't like it - then run the cable.
I’d suggest this approach also. Mount the 712 where it is east. Add the Bluetooth dongle.
I barely use the physical 712 and usually just my phone. All information displayed at once. So much nicer. I did do all the wiring in my class A and ran it up inside the bathroom and mounted on the interior wall by a lift switch and fantastic fan control. Looks nice just rarely use it.
With it mounted there I can pick up on my from between 50 and 60 feet from the coach.
It’s parked on the side of the hose 10 feet away. It will not pick up Bluetooth through solid filled cinderblock. It will if my phone is by the window.
If you just want a project run the wire. But if I had ti do over again like the others say I’d leave it near the batteries and just add the Bluetooth dongle. Easier and nicer.
BLKCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 03:43 PM   #28

I installed the 712 with head because my wife and other friends she sometimes travel with don't use the BT apps that much. The LCD head is very convenient to view. I use the BT app all the time (Multiplus, 712, Lifeblue batts, etc) but I'm a nerd and find those tools convenient. But sometimes its not just about me..... what the hell?!?!?
KajiMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, installation