Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2022, 03:17 PM   #1

Installation of Victron BMV-712

I have an Outdoors RV 24RLS, and I just competed the install of the shunt and wiring of a Victron BMV-712. I would like to install the Head Unit near the other controls (slide, water tanks, etc) on the rear of the kitchen cabinets near the rear door. I do not see a simple way to run the RJ12 cable from the battery area of the front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer and into the rearmost top kitchen cabinet. Has anyone else done the head install in this area, and if so, how did you accomplish this?
SteveG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2022, 07:19 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I find the Victron Connect bluetooth app to be a lot easier to use and more useful than the physical display. Making those cable runs isn't very easy and I opted not to go to the trouble. The bluetooth range on the BMV-712 is pretty good and I've not had any trouble getting a solid connection anywhere inside the trailer or in the tow vehicle when hitched to tow.

For my install I put the shunt in a plastic watertight component box mounted on the end of the battery box right next to the negative terminal. I placed the display in another watertight component box on the other end of the battery box and stuffed the extra signal cable in the junction box behind the battery box under the trailer. Simple and no tearing up the camper in order to fish cables under and through the floors/walls.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG. View Post
I have an Outdoors RV 24RLS, and I just competed the install of the shunt and wiring of a Victron BMV-712. I would like to install the Head Unit near the other controls (slide, water tanks, etc) on the rear of the kitchen cabinets near the rear door. I do not see a simple way to run the RJ12 cable from the battery area of the front of the trailer to the rear of the trailer and into the rearmost top kitchen cabinet. Has anyone else done the head install in this area, and if so, how did you accomplish this?
Exactly why I went with the Victron Bluetooth SmartShunt...
Old 04-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #4

Me too. Victron Smart Shunt and Victron connect app on the iPhone.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Installation of Victron BMV-712

For those that have installed the smart shunt, I hear the bluetooth
range is not so good.
What type of range do you get from the shunt to your phone typically?
Old 04-02-2022, 08:33 PM   #6

I am already into the purchase of the 712, so just using it as a smart shunt won't fly. I decided to get 1/2 inch pex to use as conduit. Tomorrow I will run it down the outboard passenger side of the frame and mount the display head on the rear face of the lower cabinet near the rear door. It won't be next to the other controls, but will be usable and visible from that area.
SteveG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
range is not so good.
What type of range do you get from the shiny to your phone typically?
I ordered and installed a Victron Smart Shunt. The range was about 3 feet in open air. Unfortunately I am not exaggerating. I wanted to love it but the range rendered it useless. Many reviews echo that experience, though many don't, so who knows. I had to return mine.

I've since installed a Thornwave Labs Powermon. The range is fantastic, I can connect through multiple walls in my house with the trailer outside. It has a built in 60A shunt and is 100% weatherproof. For my use (<60A load and installed in battery box on tongue) it's been perfect. You can add an external 500A shunt if necessary. Thornwave also makes a version with a 500A shunt just like the Victron if that's your flavor.
Keith67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 09:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith67 View Post
I ordered and installed a Victron Smart Shunt. The range was about 3 feet in open air. Unfortunately I am not exaggerating. I wanted to love it but the range rendered it useless. Many reviews echo that experience, though many don't, so who knows. I had to return mine.

I've since installed a Thornwave Labs Powermon. The range is fantastic, I can connect through multiple walls in my house with the trailer outside. It has a built in 60A shunt and is 100% weatherproof. For my use (&lt;60A load and installed in battery box on tongue) it's been perfect. You can add an external 500A shunt if necessary. Thornwave also makes a version with a 500A shunt just like the Victron if that's your flavor.

I’ll take a look at that Thornwave. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 04-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #9

V712 in 21RBS

Steve, I, too, ran the wire for a Victron 712 back to the wall with the other readouts. You will have about 50 ft of RJ12 to play with, but you can build yourself a longer one if necessary. (I bought the crimp tool to install end connectors on a custom length but I didn't need it. If you want to go the custom route, PM me and I'll loan it to you).

On my install I ran from the front pass through to the 'nightstand' on the passenger side, along the wall inside the bedroom through a piece of round wiremold , into the compartment for the furnace, and up through the back of the sink area into behind the refrigerator (outside access via refr inspection cover) and into the cabinet above my sink. And just made it to the back door where the other readouts live.

Iin the pictures the larger wiremold below the tube is for the 12-2 from the inverter to the transfer switch; in the pass through the control wire for the V712 is zip tied to the nonmetalic conduit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	instrument panel.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	361145   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211218_144551.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	361146  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7534.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	361147   Click image for larger version

Name:	conduit and control wire into bedroom.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	361148  

Howard Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblas View Post
range is not so good.
What type of range do you get from the shunt to your phone typically?
Yes, some have coverage issues with the SmartShunt. Depends on where located, obstructions, etc. If you have issues add the external bluetooth dongle - it performs better and can provide placement options.

That said, I've the SmartShunt instslled in the basement just aft of the front wheels of our 40' motorhome. I and can readily access it from anywhere except the rear of the bedroom.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd suggest to use the app before going to the effort to run a cable for the remote. Easier to use and more effectively informative, imho. If you don't like it - then run the cable.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I found the SmartShunt a bit lacking in BT range. So I added a Victron VE.Direct Bluetooth Smart Dongle and this totally fixed the problem. I didn’t mount it all that far from the shunt. Just 18 or so inches higher and close to the underfloor. It doesn’t need separate power. You just plug it in to the smartshunt. It costs $49. Which is a bummer but I wasn’t going to use the 712 display at all.

It’s at least twice as powerful a Bluetooth signal and I can monitor from anywhere inside my 38’ coach now.
Old 04-02-2022, 10:28 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fyi -

Typical Victron SmartShunt or BMV712 settings. Lithium (lead acid)

Battery Bank size to gross AH.
Charged voltage .2v less than charger absorb voltage.
Tail current to 2% (4%)
PK to 1.05 (125)
Charge efficiency to 99% (95%)

Floor typically 10-20% (50%), this is used in the time remaining estimate.

Turn off starts synchronized.

Don't manually synchronize. With these settings it should automatically sync to 100% when battery bank is fully charged (charged voltage AND tail current met for time). See history tab, last full charge field to see when occured.
Old 04-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #14

I have a Victron Smart Solar charge controller with the BT dongle mounted in the passenger side shirt ward. I have to be with in 10' of the rear of my 25RDS for it to work. So roughly 35' away from the dongle.
Running wires and cables in a TT sucks compared to a 5er so I went with the dongle.
Another reason I put it in the shirt ward is the blue light on it is super bright. I didn't want more lights in the TT. There's enough already with the other things I have. Red, green and blue little led lights are annoying to me at night.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, installation