Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2022, 08:07 AM   #1

Issues with Outdoors RV

Hi all, new to the forum. Just looking for tech info and solutions to issues. Growing disappointment with my new Outdoors RV tt quality. Anyone else have issues with their new propane generator?
Jobyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We are glad you joined us. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

What kind of problems are you having? What year, make/ model RV & generator do you have?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:59 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2, and congratulations on your new ORV. Unfortunately, it seems that most new rv's come with thier share of problems. FWIW, I had a couple problems with my ORV, but they were appliance issues, not manufacturer issues. From what I understand, ORV changed thier policy about dealing with customers, and basically wants the customer to go through the dealer. Thats tough for some customers, such as myself, that live many miles from the dealer. Hopefully, you won't run into that problem.
Try posting this in the ORV forum, or the "systems and appliances" forum. Describe your problem and give make and model of your trailer and the problem appliance (generator). If you post on one of those two forums, I'm sure you will get the information you need. Best of luck to you, and again, welcome.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can,

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:46 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 09:59 AM   #7

Other than the gen what problems are you having?
BTW the Gen is not an ORV built item. It's an Onan that's used in almost every RV that has a gen.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Other than the gen what problems are you having?
BTW the Gen is not an ORV built item. It's an Onan that's used in almost every RV that has a gen.
Yep...

Dave
Old 01-31-2022, 03:33 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP: get a hold of your dealer and ORV. They are warranted for the first full year. Use it as much as you can during this time and let others foot the bill.

Issues with gensets can be corrected by your dealer or a factory authorized Onan shop.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:37 AM   #10

ORV/Cummins Onan 3.6 KY generator problems.

Hi all, I am still learning to navigate this forum so apologize for they delayed response. I have an Outdoors RV 2022 Backcountry 21 RWS (it appears they have since changed the model number on their web page). The built-in generator began running really rough at about 20 hours (time to change break-in oil) so I changed the oil and spark plug and discovered the spark plug gap was at .028" instead of specified .020". I installed a new champion plug and it ran like a champ for about 1.5 meter hours, then suddenly died. It will start but not run, displays code 3-6 which Cummins says indicates lack of fuel. I now have an appointment with Cummins for (within warranty) repair. They and RV Dealer suggested could be propane regulator so changed that out but not the problem. During this process discovered that one of the propane tank hoses was leaking so replaced them both as they appear cheapo. Also found much oil and debris in the various propane hose connections so I suspect that the generator jet is plugged. Why is there no filter on these units? I will be adding a fuel filter at Cummins. Other issues with the ORV: The large 5' window roll shade and valance (15 pounds+) fell off on the first trip. I found that it was fastened with 4 small screws...that have no backing, only supported by the thin paneling. RV dealer sent me 4 more L brackets and I reinstalled myself. I must say, the dealer has been supportive but as we are traveling (Texas from Oregon) not possible to have warranty work done by them. Newest issue, the vent fan above the bed starts whenever it wants to, then goes berserk beeping and opening-closing. Kinda comical except that it is 10 degrees this morning in Roswell NM. Due to the generator issue we have to stay with shore power to have heat as the single solar panel doesn't keep up with charging the batteries even when we are careful with the power usage. Another issue is the Furrion CD/DVD Radio doesn't seem to be connected to the TV correctly so is difficult to manage the sound/speakers for CDs, movies etc. Also, the factory does not provide an awning over the dinette slide. I feel that is going too cheap for a company that touts it's "quality". Overall, we like the TT. Just frustrated while trying to enjoy traveling.
Old 02-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #11

It's frustrating to have issues with a brand new rig. Keep in mind that as mentioned previously, third party appliances and device issues are not really indicative of ORV quality; Onan, MaxxAir, Furrion, etc. .......most of these things are, frankly, poorly built but are pervasive in the industry with no good alternatives. On the generator, I didn't have a filter on mine and it worked great for 18 years....
MaxxAirs are known for circuit board problems and you probably need a new one (IIRC it's the ones with the remote that fail more often).

The lack of an awning isn't a quality issue but I certainly recommend them; I had the dealer add one to our slide before pickup.

Of the things you mention, the only thing I'd suggest that is an ORV quality issue is the blind/valance. Just so you know, there are supposed to be galvanized metal anchor strips bonded to the foam under the Luan to mount them; clearly it didn't work on yours so perhaps the strip is missing, maybe it shifted during lamination or they just missed it with the screws.....who knows for sure but hopefully it stays put now.

Here's to hoping you get the kinks ironed out and enjoy your new trailer.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #12

Thanks
Old 02-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
It's frustrating to have issues with a brand new rig. Keep in mind that as mentioned previously, third party appliances and device issues are not really indicative of ORV quality; Onan, MaxxAir, Furrion, etc. .......most of these things are, frankly, poorly built but are pervasive in the industry with no good alternatives. On the generator, I didn't have a filter on mine and it worked great for 18 years....
MaxxAirs are known for circuit board problems and you probably need a new one (IIRC it's the ones with the remote that fail more often).

The lack of an awning isn't a quality issue but I certainly recommend them; I had the dealer add one to our slide before pickup.

Of the things you mention, the only thing I'd suggest that is an ORV quality issue is the blind/valance. Just so you know, there are supposed to be galvanized metal anchor strips bonded to the foam under the Luan to mount them; clearly it didn't work on yours so perhaps the strip is missing, maybe it shifted during lamination or they just missed it with the screws.....who knows for sure but hopefully it stays put now.

Here's to hoping you get the kinks ironed out and enjoy your new trailer.

Cheers,
Dave
Thanks for the encouragement
Old 02-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #14

Not everyone wants a slide awning which is why it's an option. It's a DIY project so that saves some money on the buyers part.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, doors, outdoor, outdoors rv