RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #1

Leveling

just reading on orv owners on facebook lots of info there too. we ordered the auto level system, getting word you have to be pretty level to use them and you need more power then the battery best to hook up the geny before you use them if you are not plugged in. any thoughts? is it a waste of money?
mareella is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I really like the auto level system. It does not take all that much battery to run and you do not have to be plugged in to use (unless your battery is almost dead). You do have to get reasonably level side to side before starting the process. If I am more then 2 inches low side to side, I will drive up on a block of wood on the low side first. Anderson leveling system makes it even simpler. Front to back I will compensate with blocks under the jack itself so that it does not get to the end of stroke before being level. 9 times out of 10 I sit down with a beer and watch it magically happen.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #3

Is auto-level something that can be retrofitted to a trailer? It is not an option for an ORV Back County Series.

It is probably not a priority, but is something to consider.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:53 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, Lippert has retrofit Auto leveling kits that can go on just about any trailer.
Hoaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:08 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Expensive to add after build....about $3k. Not easy to install if you are not a DIY.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes I agree, very expensive. I was lucky. When I purchased my 2020 250RKS , the Titaniums did not come standard with auto leveling. I had to order my trailer from the factory because I wanted 50 amp service and the dealer didnt have one in stock. Just before being built , the factory made Titaniums standard with auto leveling, so I got it at no extra cost, along with the front bedroom window that also wasn't offered at time of purchase.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interesting. For our type of camping a self leveling system that requires you to be within 2" of level before it can do its job wouldn't be worth the cost. If you've already driven up onto Anderson levelers you're almost done anyway. Especially if you have a LevelMate Pro. Just pull forward on the Anderson levelers, watching the LMP app from the driver's seat, until the app shows that you're level side-to-side, chock the wheels, unhook, and run the tongue jack until the app shows you're level front-to-back. Easy peasy and spot-on level. And you can buy LevelMate Pro and a set of Anderson levelers for a few hundred bucks.

Auto leveling sounds pretty cool, but since we do a lot of boondocking, it would have to be able to easily handle at least 3" to 4" of off-level in order to work for me. But if you mostly do RV parks with reasonably flat concrete pads, then I could see its appeal.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Interesting. For our type of camping a self leveling system that requires you to be within 2" of level before it can do its job wouldn't be worth the cost. If you've already driven up onto Anderson levelers you're almost done anyway. Especially if you have a LevelMate Pro. Just pull forward on the Anderson levelers, watching the LMP app from the driver's seat, until the app shows that you're level side-to-side, chock the wheels, unhook, and run the tongue jack until the app shows you're level front-to-back. Easy peasy and spot-on level. And you can buy LevelMate Pro and a set of Anderson levelers for a few hundred bucks.

Auto leveling sounds pretty cool, but since we do a lot of boondocking, it would have to be able to easily handle at least 3" to 4" of off-level in order to work for me. But if you mostly do RV parks with reasonably flat concrete pads, then I could see its appeal.
Spot on. I have the Beach Lane levelers, (Same as the Andersens) along with the LMP. Along with the level features, the hitch recall is pretty cool as well.
Add a cordless drill in and it's still way way cheaper than the Lippert auto level.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:03 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Not understanding the 2" rule for these to work. Is it a limitation of the jacks travel??
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #10

In June we bought an Anniversary edition 22FQS that has the auto levelers. We love them (really it is a fabulous feature!), but like anything it has pro/cons. Aside from leveling a single axle tent trailer at the beginning of my RV life, using the auto-leveling feature is the only thing I know. I don't have a comparison to using Anderson levelers or anything else.

How level do you need to be to start the auto level? There is what can work and what is probably best practices. I can auto level my trailer parked on the street in front of my house. Our street is crowned, like most streets for drainage. The auto level system will level the trailer and put the street side wheels in the air. Trailer is level but...

It does put a twist on the frame so that isn't great. How do I know? The bathroom door won't latch closed if we are "level" but when you look at the display it shows a degree off. If I park on the street now, I drive up on ramps so the wheels are not in the air and I am not putting any strain on the frame.

The level jacks that come down can run "out of stroke" if you are particularly unlevel side to side. That is fixed with putting leveling bricks under the jack pads.

Yes the system needs power to work, but so far that hasn't been an issue. I have a backup power drill with me if needed. If I have shore power available I plug in before starting auto level and I stay plugged in until I am hitched up at the end of the trip.

We just finished a 2 week trip which started and ended with several one night stops in RV parks. Having the auto level is fantastic in those cases because it works really fast and without any user intervention so you can be off doing other things while the trailer is setting itself up.

The trailer is super stable with the auto leveling jacks in place.

While on the last trip we were overnighting in RV parks, we generally camp in forest service or state campgrounds where the spots are not level and sometimes not paved. I still like having the auto level system, but yes if we are way off side to side, we correct the low side by driving up on leveling blocks. I have started checking level with a torpedo level on the back bumper. If the bubble is near the line that is good enough for auto level to work.

I expect to keep this trailer for many years. If the auto level system continues to work without problems, over the time I have the trailer, it will be worth the extra cost. Right now, I only know that I like it, I'm learning how to work with it, and I'm glad I have it. Reliability will be revealed over time.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice review LEARNINGMORE. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2020, 07:57 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I love mine and it is great for changing tires as well.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:42 AM   #13

Auto level is great. I retrofitted mine and yes, it isn't the easiest mod, but it really just takes time and a very level cement slab to work from. We notice much less bounce, but when on softer surfaces, we need to re-level every few days. No need to worry about starting your generator, just leave it plugged into your TV while it works if you are worried about battery discharge. Like the others, I try to get pretty level side to side, mostly to allow the jacks to level more quickly. Do yourself a favor and pop the big bucks for four of the Anderson leveling blocks.

I jockey back and forth in the site to get the best side to side level, then I attach the Andersons to the front jacks and drop the legs. Unhook and lower the front to something below level, that allows the Andersons room the fit under the rear jacks. Press the auto level button and start setting up the rest of the camper. Very relialbe and easy.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #14

I too have the 2020 ORV 22FQS Anniversary with auto levelers and yes they are very convenient. I have used them on some crazy backcountry & river side terrain and have got them to work every time. The trick is: blocks. Get it close with blocks under the wheels and then use blocks under the jacks. One gets to know when the jack will run out of stroke just by eyeballing it, but I keep a level handy to check as well. Sometimes river banks can be deceiving. I have found that the front hitch jack can run out of stroke, making that awful jumping noise when it does. This sometimes happens when returning it to 'hitch height' too.
The more I use them the easier it gets to read their limitations before hitting the 'start' button. Never had a power shortage using them. Downside: they add over 600 lbs to your tow weight. And I'm always worried about these things breaking down when you need them the most.
BoomtownDave is offline   Reply With Quote