Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 10:39 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lights dim in slide

Anyone got an idea why the led lights in my slide come on, but dim? Everything else in the 12v system seams to be working okay.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

Based on another recent discussion where the owner lost power in the trailer, I suggest you check for loose connections, bad crimps, or partially broken wires in the junction box for the slide.

The other place where you might have a problem is at the fuse panel. Check for loose screws there.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Indicates to me a loose connection or partially broken wire.

Especially a ground wire.

Happy hunting!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
May not be your problem, but thought I'd throw this out: What year trailer?? I ask 'cause the mfg of the "puck" lights that ORv uses (ITC) has had problems with them in the last 4-5 yrs. They were replacing them no charge until last summer, said 5 yr program ended!! I have had 4 lights go bad (dim - 2/3 of the leds dead) and they always replaced. But called last week 'cause one more going bad, and no help, they won't even sell to consumer, gotta go to an RV supplier. Anywhere from $13.00 on eprey (+frt!!) up to $22.00 shipped from ones I looked into. Haven't called ORV to see how mucho they want. May do that if another dies.

Try taking the lens off, and rubbing the leds with your finger, works for a while, but not a permanent fix. The new ones I did recieve look better built, other than the wires are smaller guage!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
May not be your problem, but thought I'd throw this out: What year trailer?? I ask 'cause the mfg of the "puck" lights that ORv uses (ITC) has had problems with them in the last 4-5 yrs. They were replacing them no charge until last summer, said 5 yr program ended!! I have had 4 lights go bad (dim - 2/3 of the leds dead) and they always replaced. But called last week 'cause one more going bad, and no help, they won't even sell to consumer, gotta go to an RV supplier. Anywhere from $13.00 on eprey (+frt!!) up to $22.00 shipped from ones I looked into. Haven't called ORV to see how mucho they want. May do that if another dies.

Try taking the lens off, and rubbing the leds with your finger, works for a while, but not a permanent fix. The new ones I did recieve look better built, other than the wires are smaller guage!!

2018 Thanks, I’ll gave that a try
Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I recently had no lights in my slide. The problem turned out to be a broken connector between the 12v power supply wire and the coil harness under the slide. Had to pull off the panel for the slide motor to see the wires as the connection is inside the frame. The connectors looked like they were decomposing. The one that failed had disappeared. Replaced with a better quality one. Hopefully lasts longer. If all the lights dim I would suspect a wire issue but if it’s only one or two I would look at bulbs like mentioned in an earlier post.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks to all. When I get back from this trip I’ll climb under to have a look. I only have 5v at the light switch.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #8

Had the same problem. Turned out to be a blown fuse.
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post

I bought these to replace my pick lights so far so good.https://www.ebay.com/itm/251459571725
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:23 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So crawled under the slide area and found a outdoor junction box, removed the first screw and took a face full of water. Once inside I found both wires sitting in a pocket of water. The positive wire was coming out of the connector, put a new one on taped it and put the wires at the top of the box. Now it’s working. Thanks all for your input.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgwj View Post
So crawled under the slide area and found a outdoor junction box, removed the first screw and took a face full of water. Once inside I found both wires sitting in a pocket of water. The positive wire was coming out of the connector, put a new one on taped it and put the wires at the top of the box. Now it’s working. Thanks all for your input.
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I'm glad it was a relatively easy fix. I'm definitely going to spend more time going over the wiring this spring.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:32 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgwj View Post

Glad you found your problem.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:49 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob26rls View Post
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I'm glad it was a relatively easy fix. I'm definitely going to spend more time going over the wiring this spring.
We have a 2019 24RLS. While I am very happy with the overall build quality I would say electrical is the weakest point.
I wondered why the lights flickered when on shore power if you walked through the unit. I found out why when I swapped out the WFCO converter guts for a PD Wildkat. Every neutral was loose and the main neutral for the shore power wasn't even in a screw lug, it was just laying on the buss bar.
Not only aggravating but also a major safety hazard.
The 12v isn't much better, I want to repurpose the off/on switch for the small solar panel to an interior switch for outdoor LED floods. The spade connectors were just squished with pliers, not crimped correctly and the wires just pulled out with minimal effort. Every wire so far that has a crimp terminal that I have checked is of a similar fashion.
Before hitting the road I am going to go through every connector and splice I can access and redo as neccessary.
They could really do a better job as far as workmanship on the electrical side.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, slide