Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #71

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Interesting. They were on sale for $699 when I started this thread. In any case, I decided that I wasn't ready to go Lithium so went with two Trojan T105 6 volt's instead.
If you purchase the Lion 2-Pack from Costco, they are still $699 each, but you have to get 2 at a time.

Still a good deal if you wan to go Lithium instead of FLA, AGM, or Gel. This is how I purchased.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 04:20 PM   #72

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Installed 3 of Lion Energy 1300’s 3 weeks ago. We just returned from a 10 day trip. They worked great with the 540 watt solar panels on the roof.
I chose the 1300’s for there size. They fit in the F27MKS battery box. You could actually fit 4 in there.
I will try to post a pic.
Sorry, the pic rotated 90*??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	566C0BB4-3B71-4AF8-8798-79C6A1866A66.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	318.7 KB
ID:	290886  
Tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:25 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbarb View Post
Installed 3 of Lion Energy 1300’s 3 weeks ago. We just returned from a 10 day trip. They worked great with the 540 watt solar panels on the roof.
I chose the 1300’s for there size. They fit in the F27MKS battery box. You could actually fit 4 in there.
I will try to post a pic.
Sorry, the pic rotated 90*??
I would hope they worked fine, they are brand new.

Let us know how there doing in 10 years.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #74

Here you go. [ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	491.1 KB
ID:	290903  
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #75

I bit on the Cosco sale for 2 Lion Batteries. I also ordered the WFCO Lith. converter replacement and the Victron SmartShunt for monitoring. TT has the factory Zamp solar package (1 panel) with the Lith. compatible controller. I plan on pulling the fuse on the TV for the 12 v 7 pin charging circuit to isolate the TV from the TT and letting the solar do the majority of the charging. Anything I am missing?
https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...Ion-Manual.pdf https://invertersrus.com/product/victron-smartshunt/
Old 07-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #76

Why bother with the tow vehicle cord removal? That’s really just a trickle charger anyway due to the small size of the wiring but in a pinch it could help out when, for example, you haven’t had sun for a few days.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #77

Outdoors RV Owners Club
X2 on Natty’s point.
Why not leave it hooked up? I do not notice any problems with mine running the truck or shore power through the Progressive Dynamic that came with the unit and the Victron solar controller that I installed. Maybe I am missing something and the more knowledgeable on solar install may want to chime in here!
Tbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #78

Thanks for the input. In my Lith. upgrade journey over the last year+ I had seen some concern of the higher voltage Lith. may not play well with the voltage regulators mounted on the TV alternator . Back feeding I suppose. This is why I was isolating the TV by pulling the charging circuit fuse. Looking forward to hearing everyones thoughts.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #79

Lion Energy Lithium Phosphate Battery

Lots of good input here. I am giving this topic some thought because my local Costco has a Lion Energy booth this weekend. The UT1300 is $700.

Lithium has some obvious advantages such as rapid charging throughout the charge cycle, built-in BMS (battery management system controller), no maintenance and longer life.

My Interstate GC2’s (6v golf cart, liquid filled) are reaching their end of life at seven years.
Do I consider lithium now ($1400) or go with GC2’s ($380).
Will the lithium deliver $1000 of value?
If I go with the GC2’s for another 5+ years, what will the lithium market look like then? (i.e. buy a $90,000 Tesla now or wait five years for the $40,000 model?)

BattleBorn offers a ten year warranty on their battery, which we can understand. Lion offers a lifetime warranty up to 3500 charge cycles as counted by the BMS. While it sounds good, what is a charge cycle? We seldom go through a full charge and discharge cycle in our usage experience. If your solar panels are blocked by one or more trees throughout the day, does each tree count as a charge cycle? I will ask.

Here is a problem for the compulsive number crunchers:
Farmer Brown has a herd of four GC2’s. Based on his usage experience, he runs his generator one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. Assume the GC2’s are discharging to 50%. The charger can deliver up to 50 amps. Assume the generator consumes 0.75 gallons per hour. Assume fuel is $3 per gallon.

How much fuel and generator wear can Farmer brown save in 100 days by switching to lithium batteries?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #80

Well, Farmer Brown's Li cow is going to out live the barn. And the Li cow can stay out all winter without being fed -- unlike the four GC2 cows that need to be brought into the house and be fed every now and then. That saved Farmer Brown a lot of hassle which can be priceless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Lots of good input here. I am giving this topic some thought because my local Costco has a Lion Energy booth this weekend. The UT1300 is $700.

Lithium has some obvious advantages such as rapid charging throughout the charge cycle, built-in BMS (battery management system controller), no maintenance and longer life.

My Interstate GC2’s (6v golf cart, liquid filled) are reaching their end of life at seven years.
Do I consider lithium now ($1400) or go with GC2’s ($380).
Will the lithium deliver $1000 of value?
If I go with the GC2’s for another 5+ years, what will the lithium market look like then? (i.e. buy a $90,000 Tesla now or wait five years for the $40,000 model?)

BattleBorn offers a ten year warranty on their battery, which we can understand. Lion offers a lifetime warranty up to 3500 charge cycles as counted by the BMS. While it sounds good, what is a charge cycle? We seldom go through a full charge and discharge cycle in our usage experience. If your solar panels are blocked by one or more trees throughout the day, does each tree count as a charge cycle? I will ask.

Here is a problem for the compulsive number crunchers:
Farmer Brown has a herd of four GC2’s. Based on his usage experience, he runs his generator one hour in the morning and one hour in the evening. Assume the GC2’s are discharging to 50%. The charger can deliver up to 50 amps. Assume the generator consumes 0.75 gallons per hour. Assume fuel is $3 per gallon.

How much fuel and generator wear can Farmer brown save in 100 days by switching to lithium batteries?
Species8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post

The Lion rep said that a charge cycle is counted for a >50% increase in charge state (0 to 51% or 30 to 81%, etc.). Unfortunately, reading the count is not available to the user and requires a magical device at the warehouse.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkaye View Post
what did you do to limit the alternator current?

mark

Thank you for pointing this out. Yours is the first reference I have seen to this problem. The battery can draw so much current that it will burn up the alternator without protection in the circuit.

Here is an excerpt from the Lion web site regarding the alternator:

Yes, the Safari UT will take too much current so you must limit it with the wire you use to charge it. For example, if you need 10-12 feet of wire, a 10-12 gauge wire will work to limit the current. Double check the actual current with a current meter and size the fuses appropriately. You may need to add fuses and other protective equipment to protect the system. To prevent possible damage to your alternator we recommend using the Redarc (Model #BCDC1225D), which is a DC-DC charger. It will safely charge your batteries while you are driving.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:50 PM   #83

Rexhall Owners Group
Just received my 2 Lion Energy batteries from Costco. Lion recommends a Redarc DC-DC charger to protect the engine alternator from overheating. The Redarc is rather pricey and I was looking at a few others. I already have a Victron BMS so am somewhat familiar with their products. They have 20, 40 and 60 amp chargers for maybe half the price. I may upgrade to a 3rd Lithium at some point, so thinking a 40 amp DC-DC charger makes sense.

I've read the alternator issue is not as great with a larger unit. A high output alternator with 255 amps can be purchased for about $125.00. I'm not a gear head so excuse my ignorance, but why not just buy a better alternator?
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #84

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb1st View Post
Just received my 2 Lion Energy batteries from Costco. Lion recommends a Redarc DC-DC charger to protect the engine alternator from overheating. The Redarc is rather pricey and I was looking at a few others. I already have a Victron BMS so am somewhat familiar with their products. They have 20, 40 and 60 amp chargers for maybe half the price. I may upgrade to a 3rd Lithium at some point, so thinking a 40 amp DC-DC charger makes sense.

I've read the alternator issue is not as great with a larger unit. A high output alternator with 255 amps can be purchased for about $125.00. I'm not a gear head so excuse my ignorance, but why not just buy a better alternator?
The Redarc's include both Solar MPPT and DC-DC capabilities which may explain, at least in part, why they tend to cost a bit more. I recently installed the VE Orion-TR Smart 12/12-30 for increased charge from my TV and have found it to work very well. I did run dedicated 2 gauge from the truck battery and 6 gauge for the trailer umbilical which is the largest gauge the lugs on the Orion-TR allow. You can install multiple units in parallel if you grow your battery bank past the capability of a single charger. For the money I think the VE products are a good value.

Tags
battery, lithium