Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Made in Oregon,,, really

I was just wondering how much of our ORV's are really made in the US. They are assembled in Oregon but many of the parts are bought from Lippert. I bet much of our TT's are made in the China. I'll have to go out and take a look on stuff. I think the fiberglass caps and much of the structure is USA made. But now days who knows.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

Right now the only things Made In Oregon are the frame, walls and cabinets. Can't even be positive about the cabinets.
The frame steel is USA sourced. Tires are USA made. Everything else is no different than any other RV. Lots of Lippert and other MFG that supply parts from who knows where.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:11 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As I recall from the tour, the cabinets are made "in house" but the hardware is probably made off shore. I would guess that the rubber roof and sidewall skin is USA. Wheels and bearings, china.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sooo what your saying is.. It should be assembled in Oregon... LOL.. Bring that up at the next outing.. LOL
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #5

Wheels and bearing China? Ugh
J Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #6

Judging by the attitude of the company and their history of customer service, my guess would be they would source everything from the USA if they could put out a product at a reasonable sale price with a reasonable profit margin. But the reality is that's not possible right now.
Part-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

I think "made in the Oregon Mountains" is still legit. There aren't many products made in the US that don't use "globally sourced" products. Frame made in the US is most important to me. Pretty sure they lay up the fiberglass for the cap too.
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:37 PM   #8

Global manufacturing is a harsh reality. It is important where the finished product is manufactured however.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:17 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Right now the only things Made In Oregon are the frame, walls and cabinets.

Yes, the cabinets are made in house.

Can't even be positive about the cabinets.
The frame steel is USA sourced. Tires are USA made. Everything else is no different than any other RV. Lots of Lippert and other MFG that supply parts from who knows where

RV's are far more American made than the cars and trucks we drive..

You would be surprised at all the small parts companies around RV plants.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As others have pointed out, its a global reality with fastners and other materials.

a lot of the small companies have been bought out by larger ones during the great recession and during these times not many new companies will be coming up. It makes buying from other channels hard, but I am sure that if ORV could find someone in the US to to the same thing they would.

Besides... anymore most of the wood that makes our trailers is probably canadian anyways..... (Canadian wood isnt a bad thing, just pointing it out. There seems to be not as many mills as there used to be in Oregon, especially with stimpson leaving).
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I was just wondering how much of our ORV's are really made in the US. They are assembled in Oregon but many of the parts are bought from Lippert. I bet much of our TT's are made in the China. I'll have to go out and take a look on stuff. I think the fiberglass caps and much of the structure is USA made. But now days who knows.

Not only ORV, any RV part or anything else money can buy (even food) is at least partially sourced from China. I don't think it is cheaper (or ethically acceptable) in the long run for the consumer to buy cheap and having to replace the item because of premature failure. Look at the large amount of small appliances being returned to the store that end up in dumpsters because they never worked out of the box. A lot of RV owners are p....ed, not so much because of structural issues or errors that occurred during the build process, but mostly because of the poor quality and short longevity of the components used by the manufacturers. Europe, at least for a time, increased production productivity to stay competitive while maintaining quality and standards when other regions of the world simply turned to cheaper 'out of sight, out of mind' sources. We don't always have a choice but sometimes we do. Read The Label and vote with your wallet if it is an option.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Not only ORV, any RV part or anything else money can buy (even food) is at least partially sourced from China. I don't think it is cheaper (or ethically acceptable) in the long run for the consumer to buy cheap and having to replace the item because of premature failure. Look at the large amount of small appliances being returned to the store that end up in dumpsters because they never worked out of the box. A lot of RV owners are p....ed, not so much because of structural issues or errors that occurred during the build process, but mostly because of the poor quality and short longevity of the components used by the manufacturers. Europe, at least for a time, increased production productivity to stay competitive while maintaining quality and standards when other regions of the world simply turned to cheaper 'out of sight, out of mind' sources. We don't always have a choice but sometimes we do. Read The Label and vote with your wallet if it is an option.
All so true on all levels.

thanks,
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I won't buy tires or bearings made in chiner. Same with shoes and clothes.