Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
MaxxAir / MaxxAir II vent covers - Do you use them?

I've used these on past RVs and they appear to work well in being able to keep vent open during rain and also when using an RV cover. However the install has been a nearly flat roofs with only a slight convex / curved shape.

Thoughts on these vents on an Outdoor RV with the curved/convex roof?
I'm purchasing a used 2016 TR 280RKS and it is stock/original with no vent covers. While inspecting the roof I notice it was very curved/convex...much more so than the older TT/Fivers/MH I have owned.

Any difference in installation due to curve??
Any better models of vent covers for curved roofs?
Do you not use them...if so why?
Do you use something different?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used the Fantastic Fan Vent covers on my previous Outback TT that had a sloped roof and they worked fine. I put them on my Timber Ridge also and they installed with no issues and work great. I did have the MaxxAir II on a previous trailer but it had a flat roof. I think either would work fine.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #3

I installed two on my curved roof. Installation is the same as a flatter roof. No issues.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All of the roof items are black in color (AC cover, vent pipes, refer cover, etc) with the exception of the opening vent covers which are white.

Do you ORV owners use black colored AirMaxx II covers to match all other items on roof?

Does it matter or will the black color Max Air II covers attract heat into vents and into RV?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used a white cover. I am not concerned about looks anywhere near as I am about function, and I got a good deal on it as a clearance item. All of the covers are not made with any kind of curved base, but they still work.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler View Post
All of the roof items are black in color (AC cover, vent pipes, refer cover, etc) with the exception of the opening vent covers which are white.

Do you ORV owners use black colored AirMaxx II covers to match all other items on roof?

Does it matter or will the black color Max Air II covers attract heat into vents and into RV?
The vent covers are not supposed to sit directly on the roof. They are meant to sit proud of the roof surface to allow any condensation that might develop under the vent to drain away easily without pooling under the cover. A side effect of this design is warm/hot air build up can also circulate and escape out the screened louvres through natural convection. The amount of additional heat that might be created by a couple small black vent covers is pretty insignificate compared to the much larger surface area of the roof and walls. White or black, on a hot day as the interior heats up you'll be opening windows or turning on the AC anyway. Choose whatever color pleases you most.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went with the Camco brand as it was easier to clean as the vent area only required one Philips screw to pull the back vent cover off to clean out. Has the Maxx-Air changed their design for easier cleaning?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:10 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
oops
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I put two maxxair 2 covers on my last trailer and loved them. Will definitely do the same for the new trailer I just purchased. They allow the vent to open just a little higher than the camco or maxxair 1.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Max Air II vents.....Do you use them? Thoughts?

Asked this several months ago but was unable to bring it back up.....

According to ORV, I have power near the bedroom vent but not at kitchen... At kitchen is where it would be most needed to assist in warm/hot air escape

Have any of you installed a powered fan in bedroom utilizing exiting wiring that is supposed to be there ('16 280RKS or similar application)? Can you comment on install procedures?

I am considering installing Max Air II vents at kitchen, bathroom and can't decide between the Max Air II or Powered Max Air in bedroom.

Since AC cover, refer cover, vent pipes, etc. on roof are black, I was considering black Max Air II covers......is white or smoked preferred?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have two of these. One is a straight replacement in the bedroom. The other one was a new installation in the kitchen lounge area. Had both installed by the factory guys in La Grande. Didn’t feel like or confident enough of cutting a hole in the roof for the new one. The bedroom was just a straight in out already had power from existing power vent. Love the new one in the kitchen lounge areas as it provides much needed ventilation. Especially dry camping. They came with remotes with built in thermostats...Just what I needed for camping.. 2 more friggin remotes to go with the remotes for the TV, dvd, awning,stabilizing jacks, outside lights, fob for the truck, remote for the sat.radio. Lolol
I kept the original bathroom fan.
To me the new fan vent in the kitchen/ lounge area is well worth it.
Hope this helps.
Coops
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10AD2CAE-12AA-4440-90FF-A3B60A8E288C.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	197850  
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM   #12

Our previous camper had a powered vent lift and on/off switch on a wall plate that was nice. My current unit has one over the bed and I have to crawl onto the bed to raise/lower it and turn it on/off. It isn't hard but it is inconvenient. I'd go with a powered unit where access is hindered.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

According to ORV, I have power near the bedroom vent but not at kitchen... At kitchen is where it would be most needed to assist in warm/hot air escape

Have any of you installed a powered fan in bedroom utilizing exiting wiring that is supposed to be there ('16 280RKS or similar application)? Can you comment on install procedures?

I am considering installing Max Air II vents at kitchen, bathroom and can't decide between the Max Air II or Powered Max Air in bedroom.

Since AC cover, refer cover, vent pipes, etc. on roof are black, I was considering black Max Air II covers......is white or smoked preferred?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
SoCalAngler, I'm interested in the covers only over my vents to help with the rainy days and ventilation so I will be following your thread closely.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

Quote:

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I am smack dab in the middle of installing a Fan-Tastic Vent model 7350 fan in my bedroom. I have a '18 26RKS and I knew before I bought it, that this would be my first add-on. There was a bundle of wires in the ceiling near the existing vent. (Front A/C ready) They were all just bare, cut wires with the exception of one yellow wire that was not cut. Just a long, continuous loop of wire. Sure enough, that was an unswitched hot wire for me to use in the fan install. I'm waiting for a tube of Dicor lap sealant and some butyl rubber tape to show up on my doorstep tomorrow and I'll put it in.
I want to also put one in my kitchen dining area really badly, but that will involve cutting a 14 inch square in my roof and I might have someone do that for me. I am hesitant to start cutting holes in my roof! I had the same set-up in a 34 ft. Montana I just sold. One in the bedroom and one over the kitchen. The air those things move is quite impressive, and having the remote and thermostat is really nice when the A.M. air outside gets too chilly while sleeping. They just shut off when you get to a set temp. With the rain sensors on them, I'm even questioning the need for the vent covers. They add overall height which can be a problem with tree branches.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cover, vent