RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Maxxfan green light of death

Had two of my Maxffans shutdown on me. I guess I had a amp spike. They both showed the green light of death. I pulled the 20 amp fuse for the rear area and the fan reset and works again. The 15 Amp fuse was pulled for the bedroom and resets, but as soon as I turn it on it defaults back to the green light. Any help would be great.

T4

T4halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
On mine the green light comes on when the fan is in "auto" mode.
The Green Light I am talking about is up on the fan by the control pad in roof..
Meaning the fan will turn on and off based off temp on remote....
Check your set points, could be that... If temp is where selected then fan will not come on.

camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exactly right. On my new 5th wheel I have 3 Maxx Fans and the one in the kitchen started to open, then closed before it had opened fully and beeped 30 times with the green light stuck on. It would no longer respond. I put a new board in it and it did the same thing. Hit the auto button once, light went out and fan works great. Boy did I feel stupid. At least I have a spare board now.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:58 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Green blinking light of death

There is a green light of death. It is the same on that comes on with the auto mode but it continually blinks for a while then I think it goes solid and nothing functions. I called max air when mine did it (of course I was camping at the time) and I couldnít get it to work. They told me that it indicated improper voltage was being sensed. I have surge protector in line indicating good line voltage. Later, i had the unit in for Normal service and mentioned to them about this. They said they had several fans with this problem that needed to be replaced under warranty. Then they checked mine and it worked fine! I had done nothing to resolve this. It has worked fine ever since. I Am often amazed at how well benign neglect can work
Lowriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #5

When it comes on there is nothing you can do but pull the fuse. Iíll try taking it off auto but doubt that works.

T4
Old 05-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #6

Green light blues

After a week of use my fan started acting erratic. It would turn on all by itself and off without even touching the remote. Outdoors mfg suggested I do a main power off and on. This worked for a day and it happened again. Now powering off and on makes no difference. The green light is on all of the time. The factory is sending me a new circuit board and I will see how that goes. I do understand that during this pandemic things are slow to be resolved. I am glad that it is still under warranty.
jonfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 03:47 PM   #7

Iíd love to see a video on the board replacement. Let us know how it goes Jon.

T4
Old 05-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine decided to have a random open/close fan on/fan off out of body experience last year while elk hunting in Montana. My wife informed me that this was not a good thing as it was about 20 degrees outside. No amount of cajoling and cussing would get it to stop. Since the fuse for it and the refer are on the same circuit I ended up snipping the wire so we could sleep in warmth and peace. Circuit board was replaced under warranty and I really haven't had a chance to use it much because of Covid. Seems to work in the driveway.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine wont open anymore.... Working with Maxx to get a new board or something from what I understand these things are junk
Old 05-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #10

Ok, so replacing a tired, yet functional, Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair is a bad idea?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Dont know for sure as I have not gotten parts to fix mine yet But Lots of threads on troubles with these things... I was perfectly happy with my old camper and the manual open one speed... simple and it worked flawlessly.......

My wrist and finger never broke once in the 12 years I owned it..LOL
Old 05-20-2020, 07:01 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You do not need parts, mine also had a blinking green light that then turned solid and nothing worked when you pressed the remote or even pushing the buttons on the fan. I replaced the board but it made no difference. What fixed it was pushing the "auto" button on the remote which turned off the auto function. Then the fan worked perfectly. You also must point the remote directly at the fan, even if you are fairly close to it.

They are great fans and now that I have experienced this I feel pretty certain that most of these "board failures" and voltage issues are simply that the fan has been put in auto mode accidentally.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:28 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Ok, so replacing a tired, yet functional, Fantastic Fan with a Maxxair is a bad idea?
I would think yes, if it ainít broke donít fix it. Sometimes all this fancy stuff, leads to more issues.
Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
You do not need parts, mine also had a blinking green light that then turned solid and nothing worked when you pressed the remote or even pushing the buttons on the fan. I replaced the board but it made no difference. What fixed it was pushing the "auto" button on the remote which turned off the auto function. Then the fan worked perfectly. You also must point the remote directly at the fan, even if you are fairly close to it.

They are great fans and now that I have experienced this I feel pretty certain that most of these "board failures" and voltage issues are simply that the fan has been put in auto mode accidentally.
Pretty sure my experience was not user error. I know about the auto button and pointing at the unit with the remote. I think what caused my failure was putting the foam vent plug in. When I pulled it out there was a lot of condensation behind it which I believe messed up the circuit board. For sure try turning off the auto mode first but that may still not solve it. My last ORV trailer had one of these fans and it worked flawlessly in both auto and manual mode.

Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, light