Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:00 AM   #1

Mistake? Caulked roof sides with Geocel 2300 MHRV

Ok ORV braintrust I have a dilemma…

I noticed the caulking between the roof edge and metal edge strip on my 2015 20FQ was cracking. So I washed the area with soap and water, waited a day to dry, then rubbed it with alcohol and waited another day in prep to recaulk.

Then applied Geocel 2300 MHRV over the old caulking (since it was a vertical surface). Went to order more 2300 MHRV and it states do not use on EPDM roofs! Yikes! (I wonder why?)

After more research apparently I should of used Dicor NON LEVELING Lap Sealant (I didn’t know this product existed. I thought Dicor only came as self leveling. Live and learn).

Now what should I do? Should I try and remove the Geocel and replace with Dicor Non Leveling?If so how do I remove the Geocel?

Or should I do nothing? What will happen if I do nothing? Will it damage the EPDM?

TIA
Mark
SailorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 10:56 AM   #2

you say you placed the geocell over the old caulking so the geocell is not in contact with the roof itself ? if it's not touching the roof membrane it's probably ok. do some checking to see why this stuff is a problem for rubber roofs. maybe call the company.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:41 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorGuy View Post
Ok ORV braintrust I have a dilemma…

I noticed the caulking between the roof edge and metal edge strip on my 2015 20FQ was cracking. So I washed the area with soap and water, waited a day to dry, then rubbed it with alcohol and waited another day in prep to recaulk.

Then applied Geocel 2300 MHRV over the old caulking (since it was a vertical surface). Went to order more 2300 MHRV and it states do not use on EPDM roofs! Yikes! (I wonder why?)

After more research apparently I should of used Dicor NON LEVELING Lap Sealant (I didn’t know this product existed. I thought Dicor only came as self leveling. Live and learn).

Now what should I do? Should I try and remove the Geocel and replace with Dicor Non Leveling?If so how do I remove the Geocel?

Or should I do nothing? What will happen if I do nothing? Will it damage the EPDM?

TIA
Mark
Mark,

Hopefully some knowledgeable person will give you good answers to your questions, buy that's not me. But I recaulked our trailer's roof edges with self leveling sealant, Dicor 502-LSD. I think the tube I used was a gift from the factory at an early ORV Campout. On the tube it says it is to be used "in conjunction with single-ply EDPM membrane and some TPO Roofing."

Good luck!

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #4

My thinking is that Dicor is flexible. The rubber roof will flex in the heat and cold. The 2300 is used around hard surfaces like the front cap. Zero flex sorta.
Since you already have a base of the Dicor I doubt very much 2300 is on the EPDM.
I'm not sure what to tell you about whether or not to worry about it. If it were me and I do worry about things I would let it go and just keep an eye on it. Summers coming so rain is not in the big picture. I would just wait it out and deal with it in the fall if it seems like it's separating. You probably have a very thin layer over the OEM Dicor so I really don't think it's an issue.

You could call ORV and get their opinion.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
A picture or two would help, you could certainly leave it for now, or you could remove it with a plastic scraper and\or plastic razor blades and then come back with Dicor. ~CA
Old 05-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply.

Photo attached of my caulking.

The Geocel is pretty stuck on to the EPDM and black aluminum rail. I think if I tried to scrape it off it would cut/tear the EPDM. Not easy to remove like cutting the excess butyl tape around the windows.

I reached out to Geocel USA (division of Sherwin-Williams) and haven’t heard back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7CCEB8C-BED7-4FA4-866F-0D4313D837B5.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	738.2 KB
ID:	328001  
Old 05-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From the look of your picture, you should be OK and just leave it alone. Removal will compromise the EPDM and become a worse issue.

The compatibility issue is probably due to the solvents they use in the formula are not compatible with rubber compounds.

I could not find a MSDS data sheet on this product.

https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...09&doctype=PDS
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:00 PM   #8

Talked to Geocel this afternoon. The tech rep stated the issue is Geocel 2300 won’t stick to EPDM when it fully cures. 2300 won’t harm the EPDM material.

The rep stated the best coarse of action was to remove the Geocel when it fails (which will likely be sooner than later). It should easily come off the EPDM but will likely take effort to get the Geocel off the aluminum gutter extrusion.

Lesson learned. Don’t use Geocel (or Proflex RV) with EPDM.

Rep stated Geocel 2300 MHRV and Proflex RV are almost identical formulations. Geocel 2300 comes in variety of colors where as Proflex does not. Rep stated for our RV use they are interchangeable.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #9

Buddies trailer had some kind of caulking that wasn't compatible with the EPDM around the edge of the roof. It was cracking so we coverd it with self leveling Dicor. Still looks good after 2 years.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Buddies trailer had some kind of caulking that wasn't compatible with the EPDM around the edge of the roof. It was cracking so we coverd it with self leveling Dicor. Still looks good after 2 years.
This would be my thought also. Let what you've put on there fully cure (I'd give it several weeks, if not months, then go over the top of it with Dicor self leveling.

Tags
roof