Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #1

Need advice

I will be heading to Apache RV from Colorado to pick up my trailer at end of March. Would it be a good idea to stay in a campground near by for a night to make sure everything is OK or can you rely on PDI. My other thought was to head home and find a spot near the factory as it is about 4 hours closer
Thanks, Bob
sbb888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #2

Very good idea to spend the night there. Even better is to spend 3 nights there which is what most new purchasers are offered by dealers as many dealers have hookups just for that. Don't trust anyone. Even if your independent inspector says it's good to go (they were independent, right??).

Note that the dealers PDI is basically a scam. If one salesperson walks through the RV, even with their eyes closed, they consider that a PDI. Some of the stories I've read are hilarious because of the things the dealers PDI somehow missed. Some dealers even try to charge hundreds for it. And they get laughed at by the majority of buyers.

Expect to spend 4-8 hours inspecting your new RV. If you hire a pro, note that it'll cost a few hundred. Trailers aren't as complex as a Class A or a 5th wheel but they still have all the systems those do so you're still looking at a few hours to make sure EVERYTHING works. And that the frame is good, the brakes are working, etc. etc.. It's a sure bet that the dealer won't.

Go to google and type "Complaints about...name of dealer" and then read the reviews.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb888 View Post
I will be heading to Apache RV from Colorado to pick up my trailer at end of March. Would it be a good idea to stay in a campground near by for a night to make sure everything is OK or can you rely on PDI. My other thought was to head home and find a spot near the factory as it is about 4 hours closer
Thanks, Bob
Which Apache dealer?

There’s an RV Park right next door to Apache Everett.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

If you decide to stop in La Grande at the factory, let me know. We keep a 5th wheel at Rendevous RV and spend quite a bit of time there.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Which Apache dealer?

There’s an RV Park right next door to Apache Everett.
The one in Portland
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
If you decide to stop in La Grande at the factory, let me know. We keep a 5th wheel at Rendevous RV and spend quite a bit of time there.
Thanks rampowerwago, we also thought about staying close to the factory. If we do I will look you up. I was wondering if we find a problem will the factory fix it or do I need to take it to a dealer?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Typically you would give the dealer the first chance to fix it unless it is an invasive repair where the sidewall or roof needs replaced. With your fresh water tank full use the city water hookup to make sure it does not overflow your fresh tank, sometimes some debris fouls the one way valve and it will leak to the fresh tank. If after filling the fresh tank and leaving the city water on a couple hours so you are reasonably sure it is working correctly, remove the city water connection and turn the water pump on and leave it on for an hour or so. If you hear the pump cycle a little every few minutes you have a small plumbing leak. It may just be the anode rod is not tight enough or did not get any teflon tape. Try it without the water heater on first. If no cycling for an hour try heating up the hot water tank with electric and gas. If it starts cycling now you know that the pressure relief valve on the water heater is peaking a little. You may be able to flip the lever on it and get it to re-seat but if not have the dealer replace it.

The water pump is a great way to assure yourself there are no leaks, and be sure to use a pressure regulator on the city water connection or you could blow out the plumbing. I turn off the city water when we leave the RV so we do not have that happen and flood the trailer while we are gone.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with the last post.....dealer should be able to do most repairs except invasive or cosmetic type failures.

Down the road you can expect to fix things.....nature of the beast. Having skills to do this yourself will save you a lot of grief. Some repairs are very simple, especially with the help of us on this forum,

ORV has sent me parts to install at my home, no problem at all. Had a few minor issues early on during the first 16 months. TV failed, they sent me a new one within a week. Water pump failed, sent me a new one to install. I rebuilt the old one for a spare.

If your trailer is new, remember that they have your back for the first year 100%.

Enjoy the trailer and have fun!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbb888 View Post
Thanks rampowerwago, we also thought about staying close to the factory. If we do I will look you up. I was wondering if we find a problem will the factory fix it or do I need to take it to a dealer?
As has been stated, the dealership should be able to fix most anything, but the factory will bend over backwards to help you if needed. However, if a problem should develop between Portland and La Grande, I'm almost certain that the factory would fix it.
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:21 AM   #10

Thanks for the replys everyone, it is greatly appreciated

Bob
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 AM   #11

I would say 2 nights minimum locally is a good idea. Book 3 or 4 then if(when) you find something the dealer can fix it, especially if a part needs to be ordered. We spent 3 nights and am glad we did. Dealer took 2 tries at fixing a water tank issue. They wanted to do it right and having the time scheduled on our end helped a great deal.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a nice CG very close to the factory.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
There is a nice CG very close to the factory.
If you're referring to Hot Lakes, it is closed for the winter and may not open by April 1. I'm not 100% certain when they re-open, as it seems to be weather related. Best to call ahead.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:03 AM   #14

Champoeg State Park, just about 30 minutes from Apache in Portland, it is a beautiful spot and some full hook ups. There are also a couple of State parks on I 84 that are still close enough to Portland.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice