Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2022, 05:39 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Needing New Tires

Looking to put new tires on my 2013 Wind River 280RLS and before making a purchase thought I'd get the collective current thoughts of this wise group. Here's what I am considering:

MAXXIS: $156.22 at Tire Rack. I've been running 2 Maxxis Load Range E tires since 2016 and they still look great. Excellent wear characteristics.

CARLISLE RADIAL TRAIL HD: $111.12 at Walmart. The only "speed rated" tires in the group I'm looking at. (Speed rating "M" for 81 mph).

GOOD YEAR ENDURANCE: $144.99 at Tire Rack.

I like my Maxxis. And I like that the Goodyears are made in the USA. But for the price and the speed rating I'm leaning heavily towards the Carlisle. I don't usually drive much over 65 but I would like to feel comfortable driving 70 when, like recently, I'm in a state where the car limit is 80, the truck limit is 70, and the semis are blowing by me. I've read good reviews on all 3 tires. Anybody have any personal experience that says not to go with the lower price Carlisles?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #2

i'd stick with the Maxxis or the Goodyear. I don't know for sure that Carlisle owns and manages their own factory like Maxxis and Goodyear does. Goodyear has a plenty fast speed rating according to what I read on the web...... "The Endurance is available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger load capacities, according to Goodyear. It also has a speed rating of N (87 mph), which is considerably higher than the usual trailer tire speed rating of L (75 mph), according to Mr..........."
Vintage465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #3

Id stick with the Endurance or Maxxis 10 ply's , Or , When in North Carolina I replaced 2 Maxxis tires with Hercules 10 ply's as that is all I could get. I told the Shop that I'd pull em off as soon as I got out west and could find some Endurance or Maxxis tires but he talked me into giving them a honest try as they swore by them. They outlasted my Maxxis 8008's and were still on the 280 RKSB when I sold it. Id definitely buy them again.
They make a 14 ply highway tire as well. H-901ST but they are pricey.

https://www.herculestire.com/our-tir...-and-bias-ply/
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 10:42 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarc View Post
Id stick with the Endurance or Maxxis 10 ply's , Or , When in North Carolina I replaced 2 Maxxis tires with Hercules 10 ply's as that is all I could get. I told the Shop that I'd pull em off as soon as I got out west and could find some Endurance or Maxxis tires but he talked me into giving them a honest try as they swore by them. They outlasted my Maxxis 8008's and were still on the 280 RKSB when I sold it. Id definitely buy them again.
They make a 14 ply highway tire as well. H-901ST but they are pricey.

https://www.herculestire.com/our-tir...-and-bias-ply/
Interesting. One of the reasons I'm buying new tires is because I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip during which the one Hercules 10 ply tire on my trailer (purchased at roughly the same time as the Maxxis tires) blew in a catastrophic way. I had just done a visual on all tires at a fuel stop and the temps all looked good according to my TPMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hercules.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	363179  
Old 04-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #5

I have had all 3 brands and had no problems with any of them. The Maxxis i had were rated at i believe 87mph. I tow the speed limit where ever i am weather permitting.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:58 PM   #6

Yea I guess you never know. The tire shop in N.C said they had been installing them for years and no returns with issues so I don't know. The only failure I've ever had was on a fairly new Maxxis 8008 10 ply on the 101 and it looked like a piece of steel had cut the belt in my tire. The new 20 BD has Endurance 16 inch E rated so Im hoping for the best. Leaving next week and driving Vancouver Island to P.E.I so hoping to get the round trip of 20,000 miles out of em. We will see what they look like before the return trip in the fall. Sad to hear about Hercules as they were on my list of good replacements. Im usually way below GVWR and Tire rating and usually set the cruise at 60 MPH so usually manage to not have issues unless we run over something sharp. Weight and speed are the biggest factors that create heat. We scaled the trailer and truck hooked up with WDH on..
Truck Front 4717
Truck Rear. 5754
Trailer 6350

Then we added another 2 batteries and the inverter and electronics so will likely be another 250-300 lbs on trailer. Shooting for around 7000 on Trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Interesting. One of the reasons I'm buying new tires is because I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip during which the one Hercules 10 ply tire on my trailer (purchased at roughly the same time as the Maxxis tires) blew in a catastrophic way. I had just done a visual on all tires at a fuel stop and the temps all looked good according to my TPMS.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:42 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage465 View Post
i'd stick with the Maxxis or the Goodyear. I don't know for sure that Carlisle owns and manages their own factory like Maxxis and Goodyear does. Goodyear has a plenty fast speed rating according to what I read on the web...... "The Endurance is available in Load Ranges D and E to accommodate larger load capacities, according to Goodyear. It also has a speed rating of N (87 mph), which is considerably higher than the usual trailer tire speed rating of L (75 mph), according to Mr..........."
I hadn't seen the "N" speed rating for the Goodyears, but just confirmed that on their website. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
I hadn't seen the "N" speed rating for the Goodyears, but just confirmed that on their website. Thanks for pointing that out.
Just a little more info on the "ST-Special Trailer" Tires. I read an article in Trailer Life Magazine(RIP) and as of that writing the only tires made in China that had it's own factory and was run and managed by it's own employees was Maxxis. They noted that all the other Chinese Trailer tires were really just cookie-cuttered tires that were branded to what ever company marketed them. I don't know as of this writing if Herculese fell in that catagory at that time or now. I do know they have some real heavy duty tires though.
Old 04-22-2022, 12:27 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Another interesting note about Maxxis. I just emailed them to inquire about their speed rating and the response I received says that they are a "Q" rated tire, which is a 99 mph rating. However there is a fairly long disclaimer that requires the adjustment of tire pressure and load as speeds increase. Here is their response:

"Thank you for writing us and your interest in Maxxis Tires. Our M8008 ST radials have a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire & Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires, regardless of the tire manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:

From 66 to 75 MPH - the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.

From 76 to 85 MPH - the tire inflation pressure needs to increase an additional 10 PSI from the 66-75 MPH setting (not to exceed the maximum PSI tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by an additional 10% from the 66-75 MPH setting. "
Old 04-22-2022, 12:43 PM   #10

I went with the Carlisles from WalMart and will be having them mounted tomorrow.
Carlisles have worked well for me in the past.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:56 AM   #11

We haven't had a travel trailer since 2018, but I always had very good luck with Maxxis tires. I would stay with Maxxis before getting Carlisle tires. But the Goodyear Endurance tires are getting good reviews and could be a good choice.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had 2 blowouts with my notorious Goodyear Marathons. Decided to try the Goodyear Endurance. So far so good. They are rated E and have a speed rating of 87mph I believe. I like that. I tend to go a little quicker at times and speed means heat build up, killer on cheap ST tires. Maybe LT the way to go?! Anyways, I'll continue my my Endurance for now and see how they hold up. It will be fourth season this year. Good luck fisher.
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
I had 2 blowouts with my notorious Goodyear Marathons. Decided to try the Goodyear Endurance. So far so good. They are rated E and have a speed rating of 87mph I believe. I like that. I tend to go a little quicker at times and speed means heat build up, killer on cheap ST tires. Maybe LT the way to go?! Anyways, I'll continue my my Endurance for now and see how they hold up. It will be fourth season this year. Good luck fisher.
I don't think you can compare a Goodyear Marathon tire and a Goodyear Endurance. Though they are the same name they have nothing in common. And I had C-rated Marathons on my 20fq for about 20,000 miles and never had problems. I ran them at the max allowable pressure. I did a lot of 75mph traveling with those tires and I think that's above their speed rating too..........I knew nothing of speed ratings when we first got our coach!
Old 04-24-2022, 01:36 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, after a bunch of research it appears to me that all 3 are good choices. And since I have 1 brand new Carlisle Radial Trail HD already on the trailer (replacing the blown Hercules in my post #4 above - it was what the closest tire dealer had in stock) it makes some economic sense to just buy 3 more of the same. I wouldn't buy trailer tires just on price alone but in this case it seems that the least expensive tire is a solid option.

Tags
tire, tires