Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2021, 07:45 AM   #1

New Coleman Mach A/C kaput

Bought a new 21DBS in April 2021, had it out in hot (AC) weather for the first time last weekend - no AC. Blew 2 degrees colder than ambient. Since I live in Michigan, I have to remotely work with ORV/dealership.

Dealership informed me I could work with an in-house or a mobile tech, and gave me Kevin Kincaid's email at ORV. Asked Kevin about the mobile tech, as in-house places near me were booked up through July. I was told mobile tech fees wouldn't be reimbursed, as this was a "convenience". So I paid out of pocket ($120) for a mobile tech to come diagnose the bad unit and start the warranty process with Coleman Mach.

No big deal, I suppose. I knew buying a "west coast" brand and living east of the Mississippi would cause some issues. And I'm really not *too* upset with ORV or the dealership in Colorado about the AC unit - maybe it tested fine but went kaput afterwards.

The only bad taste in my mouth is the communication with ORV. Mr. Kincaid's customer service was prompt, but terse, short, and left me sort of grasping at straws for awhile until I came to understand the process, when it would have been nice to have been guided through it.
Danny Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My mobile techs; I've used CCo and RV Doctor in the SLC area; BOTH charge LESS per hour than a RV shop.

Tell Kevin he can pay up to the in-house fee and you'll pay whatever is above that. Craig at CCO charges $75/hr, RV Dr charger $95, most shops charge about $150/hr and employ a few high skilled techs and some minimum wage beginners learning on your coach. Craig, who worked in a shop for 10 years, sometimes cons his dad, with 30 years of RV experience, out of retirement for the big or tough jobs.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sorry that you're going through the stress of getting warrantee repairs, Danny.
I sympathize with you.
I know you'll understand that ORV didn't build the A/C unit and that for the better part of construction, ORV just installs parts and pieces built elsewhere. That said, inside one of the cabinets and/or inside the manual should be the name of the supplier and ultimately the warrantor of the A/C unit, aside from ORV. ORV just installs the unit. Aside from this, it's amazing how many suppliers contribute to our ORV's; it must be quite a jungle for ORV, trying to have enough parts/pieces on hand from all the suppliers, of whom Lippert is probably the largest.
Again, I'd consider dealing with the Coleman Mach manufacturer first, as that is probably what ORV has to do. You would just be cutting out the 'middle-man'.

Not knowing any of the details on your A/C unit, one thing I found when the temp inside our Glacier Peak wasn't changing much, I took off the interior plastic valances (4 screws) to see what I could see. I found the interior baffle plate that separates warmer air from cooler air, was not installed properly so air was just going around and around. It is just a friction-fit between warm and cool air. Also a good time to check your ductwork and see if there are any impediments to air flow. It's a long-shot I realize, but might just be a contributing factor.

Hope all goes well.
Cheers
Glen
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:56 AM   #4

Just to close this thread, Coleman Mach sent an entire new unit on warranty. AC now turns my rig into a meat locker. :-)
Danny Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman