RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
MBD

Update - Took it out for its maiden voyage last week. In addition to the warming, the fridge actually threw an error code (5 flashes) a couple of times. According to the repair manual, that means the gas valve is stuck open and the gas train needs to be replaced. We took it into the shop (a local RV repair shop that's a Norcold repair facility) and they could find nothing wrong with it. There definitely is something wrong with it so not sure where to go next. Does the error has to be happening to diagnose? When we first noticed a problem, I sent a message through ORV's website for technical help and never got a response of any kind.

MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBD View Post
...the fridge actually threw an error code (5 flashes) a couple of times. According to the repair manual, that means the gas valve is stuck open and the gas train needs to be replaced.
Did you noticed if there was a flame present while this code was thrown? We got that same code and when checked, there was no flame present. I installed our spare board (like a spare tire, we carry one of these too) and the problem went away. For us, the code thrown was incorrect. The board, was replaced on warranty. We're still on our 3rd board, maybe this one might be a good one .

Old 07-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
MBD

Not sure about the flame. Will look at that next time it happens. Did you take it in while the code was flashing so it could be diagnosed?
Old 07-09-2020, 01:02 PM   #18

I have a Dometic side by side that's 22 years old. The ice maker crapped out long before I bought thr coach almost 4 years ago. I don't understand all this talk about fans... I don't believe my Dometic has any. Absorption fridges aren't supposed to have any moving parts! Back to making ice... we bought a counter top ice maker which makes ice cubes like crazy. Soon as the bin gets full, we toss the ice into the Dometic freezer... when that bin gets full (about 4-5 hours) we turn off the ice maker 'til the next day!
tommar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I have a Dometic side by side that's 22 years old. The ice maker crapped out long before I bought thr coach almost 4 years ago. I don't understand all this talk about fans... I don't believe my Dometic has any. Absorption fridges aren't supposed to have any moving parts! Back to making ice... we bought a counter top ice maker which makes ice cubes like crazy. Soon as the bin gets full, we toss the ice into the Dometic freezer... when that bin gets full (about 4-5 hours) we turn off the ice maker 'til the next day!
I believe the fan talk is to help air move over the coils to dissipate heat, helps them run more efficient especially when fridges are in slide outs (no roof top vent) the air stays kind of stagnant, it just relies on the heat rising into a sealed box basically.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #20

Found out today that Norcold is having a new circuit board installed. We'll see this coming weekend if that was the fix.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #21

They put in the new circuit board, and had tested it on both electric and propane, through two hot days and a night. We'll see. It didn't automatically switch to propane but that may have been air in lines since I also had some propane work done. Oddly, I got dinged for some of the cost, what they said Norcold would cover only $87, plus the board. I would think that a dealer charges the whole job to the warranty. It was hard to make detailed sense out of the work order since I also had that propane quickconnect added out of pocket.
We'll be camping on Sunday and almost 100 degrees out. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
These type reefers don't work well without something inside to cool down.

There needs to be food in the freezer for it to work correctly. Then the cool air flows down into the main compartment thru the fins.

Try putting a couple of gallon jugs of water in the freezer and see if it improves for a test.

I also would call ORV (Todd Morton) and ask him about this issue. He should know a lot. He was very helpful during the first year of our ownership.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #23

Update, not fixed yet

So, new circuit board and throwing the five flash error after running on propane, and may be related to moving rv.
I'm not convinced that the diagnosis is correct on replacing that propane part that they are pushing. It would seem that the electronics has dementia, can't remember if it's on power or gas.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
So, new circuit board and throwing the five flash error after running on propane, and may be related to moving rv.
I'm not convinced that the diagnosis is correct on replacing that propane part that they are pushing. It would seem that the electronics has dementia, can't remember if it's on power or gas.
Sounds more like you're having an issue with the propane feeding your refer.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #25
MBD

OP here. The saga continues. Took the trailer back to the shop where they again didn't see the refrigerator warm up. The ambient temps here have cooled from the high 90s - 100 so I imagine that has a lot to do with it. I could certainly understand it warming maybe 10 degrees but not 25 - 40! I am talking about an empty refrigerator warming like that, not one that is stuffed full of food. Since a battery operated small fan in the outside compartment, and ice packs seem to keep it from warming, we are going to just have them install a refrigerator fan. The shop said it would probably void our warranty but I would rather pay for that than give everyone food poisoning.

I did speak with Todd at ORV about this issue and he tried to be helpful. Suggested things the shop should check and told me to contact Norcold. He also suggested that RV refrigerators do warm with ambient temps. I informed him that our last ORV trailer we had for 9 years and it never had an issue. Had another trailer before that and it never had an issue. He did ask me if our fridge came with fans installed and I told him no. Apparently newer models come with fans installed?

Last camping trip I met someone who has a 2 yr old ORV with similar fridge issues. She said they had taken it in 4 times and still hasn't been fixed, so I am giving up on the warranty. I didn't buy this thing to leave it in the shop all summer.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #26

I have a 24 year old coach with a 24 year old Dometic side-by-side fridge. So, both the coach and the fridge are vintage. So far, the fridge keeps on "fridging..." Before taking a trip, I turn on the fridge 48 hours in advance to cool it down. I also drop the jacks and level the MH to assist the fridge which must be kept level as possible. This time due to near 100 degree weather, it took every bit of those two days for it to cool down. Our destination this time was East Texas, near Emory, TX. Each day, the afternoon sun played on the fridge side of the MH. I was amazed that despite the high afternoon temps the fridge maintained the freezer at about 8 degrees and the fridge side at 37 degrees. So our frozen food stayed frozen and the refridgerated food stayed at the proper temperature; even the beer stayed cold! If I was shopping for a new MH or if this fridge failed, I would want a residential electric fridge but for now, this one is OK.

tommar is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator