Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
New tires for tow vehicle

Hey all !! I have p 255/70 r 17 on my 2016 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra.. Would like to put a set of BFG all terrain load range E (10 ply )on it---I think these will support a heavier tongue weight than the stock Generals that are on it now-Does any one have any towing comments using this particular tire ? I know it will ride a tad rougher,and with stiffer side walls make sway non existent--not that i have a problem now----but i will feel better about taking my 2019 ORV 21 FQS off road to more boon docking sites--
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

Good plan IMO. The P rated tires are car tires, meant to give a soft smooth ride, are not suitable for towing/hauling.
When you are towing air them up to sidewall maximum for best results of reducing side-sway, truck feeling loose when cornering, sloppy-feeling steering, etc.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ran those for years when I had tiny trucks. They are great tires and will do great off the beaten path. IIRC they also have the mountain snowflake symbol on them.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will take Michelin any day, but that's just me.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:13 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you are having any issues with jounce, sway, or handling issues with your half ton truck - HD tires will not help - nor will shocks. Been there done that bought a 3/4T and never looked back.

As for tires, one thing I will say is that my 1/2T came with LT tires so I stayed with them the best set I had for all around traction and ride came from Les Schwab - I think they were either Cooper or Toyo. They had the snowflake on the side and got me through snow, ice, and were great in sand and mud.

My current truck has Michelin tires (OEM) and they were great in the beginning but are showing wear with only 31k.

My son had OEM Goodyear Wranglers on his Colorado Z-71 at 24k miles they showed very little wear and he had excellent traction in snow, mud, and sand.

while I usually deal with Les Schwab but am thinking seriously about Goodyear.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Tirerack.com has ratings on all tires across most brands that allow you to compare wet or dry traction, snow/mud traction, wear mileage, road noise etc. Very helpful when deciding on tires.

I agree with Randy above that going to load range E tires made little if any difference in the wiggle of my half ton and is why I also have a 3/4 ton. You can make the half ton work if you take the time to set up the hitch correctly at a scale so you can see how much weight you are really restoring to the front axle but it will still wiggle some.

Sorry Randy but Les Schwab is up for sale so you may have to find a new place to buy tires in the future. The family has decided to sell off the whole chain.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post

Sorry Randy but Les Schwab is up for sale so you may have to find a new place to buy tires in the future. The family has decided to sell off the whole chain.
I saw that as well - perhaps another reason to switch tire brands. We might get lucky and they allow an employee buyout.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:30 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I run load range E on our Z71 Silverado 1500, no issues at all.
45 psi for everyday driving, 65 psi when towing our 6000lb boat with 550lb tongue weight. Much better than the stock load range D's imo.
No noticeable harshness in overall ride quality.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I used to be a BFG fan, but haven't gotten the mileage out of them on the last two sets that was promised.

I changed over to the Cooper AT3, and LOVE them. I think that they have better traction than the BFG's and less tire noise. I have a 3/4 ton truck and so far im very happy (I run 315/75/16's on my truck).
The John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Michelin Defenders, E rated.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Michelin Defenders, E rated.
And can handle any off-road conditions that your trailer can handle. Excellent traction in all weather conditions that you'd dare drive in to begin with. I've used these tires, previously known as LTXs, for maybe twenty years now and I've never been disappointed.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I went with Kumho Crugen HT51 All- Season Radial Tire-LT275/65R18 123R 10-ply. Tire rack had a higher rating, they looked identical.

I run them at 50#’s normal driving and 65#’s towing. We ran them down to Assateague and then to Quebec City. The 1/2 ton truck isn’t built to handle tires that are so stiff for normal driving, so you have to depressurize them when not towing. They’re looking and behaving great so far. They were less than $150 each shipped free.
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, tow