Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
New To ORV

My wife and I have been RVing since 1996 for all those years we have been faithful Jayco fans specifically to fifth wheels. We recently decided to downsize to a bumper pull and were decidedly unhappy with the quality of new Jayco travel trailers. Our salesman said that we should take a look at ORV. We did and were very impressed. We ultimately settled on the Blackstone 260RLS. One question I have for which I did not receive a satisfactory answer concerned the LP regulator. The technician said that although the regulator is automatic and will switch from an empty tank to a full one, it will actually bleed off the fuller tank during use and therefore the full tank should be turned off until needed. This was contrary to everything I've ever been told about automatic regulators. I have always believed that they fed off the tank the selector switch was pointing toward and would automatically change when that tank was empty. I'm confused.

Jim

2007 Dodge 2500 5.9L Diesel
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #2

Never heard that. I leave both tanks on and let the regulator decide when to switch over. No issues.

And welcome to the ORV family! If you're on Facebook be sure to join the Outdoors RV Owners Group.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

I always kept both tanks on also.

My BackCountry ORV, by the way, did not have an automatic switching regulator.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:54 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm admittedly a bit anal about my propane tanks. I want to know for sure when a tank runs out so I only turn on one at a time. I then immediately switch to the other tank and get the previous one refilled. I also use the Mopeka ultrasonic tank sensors so it's easy to check the propane level at any time on my cellphone.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:21 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have always ran my propane tanks one at a time. My thoughts were if there were a serious leak developed it would only drain the tank that was open. I monitor my volume with the Mopeka system and when the volume in the open tank becomes low enough to be of concern I switch it off, turn on the other and plan to refill the empty at first convenience.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 12:37 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Iíve had that exact situation happen while boondocking 75 miles from anywhere. Had both tank valves on and one of the hoses ruptured and drained that tank and started on the other. By the time I got back I had about 25% left in the second
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #7

I've left both on by mistake. One time when out dry camping the 2nd tank ran out right as we were starting to cook dinner. Fortunately we were at a CG that had a gas station about 2 miles away. Had to run up and get a tank filled to finish cooking dinner.
I have the change over valve but only use one tank at a time.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote