Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Newbie Question: Fresh Water Level Between Trips

Alright, during the winter, how much water I keep in the freshwater tank is pretty cut and dry: none. But it's not winter anymore so the question has come up: how much water should we keep in the fresh water tank? Drain it after every trip and fill the night before the next one? Just top it off whenever...?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 08:41 AM   #2

I drain and refill if in storage more than a few weeks.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:18 AM   #3

Depends on how long between trips. If its going to be more than 1 week I drain it. I suspect how long the water will stay fresh will depend on how well your water system was sanitized and how warm it gets.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Assuming your tank is clean, what would cause water to go "stale", even if it sits in the tank for a month or two?
Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher99 View Post
Assuming your tank is clean, what would cause water to go "stale", even if it sits in the tank for a month or two?
Google might be your best source. The tank and plumbing might be clean or even sterile but that doesn't mean the tap water put in after can't go stale. To me stale means water that no longer tastes fresh, like a glass of water left sitting out over night.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:03 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If I'm driving back home from a trip, I'll drain it my last dump. I only drain the hot water heater if the RV is going to sit for more than 3 weeks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

I drain mine when on my way home and fill the tank just before leaving on a trip. Water is always fresh and safe for drinking.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can't go wrong with draining almost all of the water out after a trip, and refilling before the next. Even water from a system that uses chlorine dioxide to sterilize the water can sit long enough in an environment that isn't absolutely sealed and sterile and develop some slime bacteria in the holding tank.

For those that don't want to to try to drain, there are ways to store water more safely.
https://www.aquamira.com/product/aqu...reatment-2-oz/

Tags
fresh water, newbie, water