Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM   #1

Newbies! Purchased 2021 Creekside 18RBS - Backup Cameras

Hello! We are so excited to join this community.

With your knowledge of backing up these leviathans in the dark can we discuss the best backup camera for the 18RBS? High to low price points cameras are fine. Thank you and again, we're so thrilled to join you! Cindy
peletelitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Welcome! I'd suggest a person outside guiding you, at least the first several times you back it up. Possibly with cell phones talking to each other, as sometimes hand signals can be mis-understood.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. This is what we did when I brought the trailer home, my husband guided me. We are leaving soon to travel the West for a few months and don't want to take out someones slide if we arrive in a campground late or have to back into something around Mt. Ranier in the dark. I don't want to commence our trip without the camera.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by peletelitan View Post
Thank you for your reply. This is what we did when I brought the trailer home, my husband guided me. We are leaving soon to travel the West for a few months and don't want to take out someones slide if we arrive in a campground late or have to back into something around Mt. Ranier in the dark. I don't want to commence our trip without the camera.
My back up camera is of no use to me when I back into a campsite. Someone outside with clear hand signals who can see the driver's mirror is best for me. I use my backup camera just to see traffic behind me.

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:54 PM   #5

Back-up cameras can be helpful, but my take is that they are no substitute for a spotter, particularly in the dark. My back-up camera has a wide-angle lens, and so it creates quite a fish-eye effect. I am still trying to figure out where things in the image are in relationship to my rig.

I have just one camera. Some camera systems have several, and perhaps those can be positioned to give you a better sense of how close you are to an obstacle.

Best thing is to Get Out And Look (GOAL), even with a good spotter.

My wife spots for me, but has never towed any of our trailers. I wish she would, because that would probably improve her spotting.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #6

If you want cheap, Yakry $150, and they’ll give you a second camera if you ask. Easy install. Great for highway. However, no substitute for spotter, especially in the dark.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
Back-up cameras can be helpful, but my take is that they are no substitute for a spotter, particularly in the dark. My back-up camera has a wide-angle lens, and so it creates quite a fish-eye effect. I am still trying to figure out where things in the image are in relationship to my rig.

I have just one camera. Some camera systems have several, and perhaps those can be positioned to give you a better sense of how close you are to an obstacle.

Best thing is to Get Out And Look (GOAL), even with a good spotter.

My wife spots for me, but has never towed any of our trailers. I wish she would, because that would probably improve her spotting.
The only problem here is I may be on my own for numerous nights. My husband may have to travel, I'll have to do this on my own. This is why I think a system will be important for us.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #8

It makes sense that a single camera wouldn't be of much help. Actually, until we are both very proficient with backing we should stick to using a spotter - experience only can build proficiency!
Old 09-25-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:

With your knowledge of backing up these leviathans in the dark can we discuss the best backup camera for the 18RBS? High to low price points cameras are fine. Thank you and again, we're so thrilled to join you! Cindy
Does your trailer come pre-wired for a camera? If it does what is the brand on the mounting bracket on the trailer? If not you will need to find a power line for the camera, most tap into the running lights on the top edge, so you will need to have your lights on for the camera to work.
All this being said we use the Furrion rear view camera. Our rig came with an installed system for the camera. We just had to connect the power cable and mount the camera. Our camera is a wireless system and does a very good job and we do not have any dropped videos from the rear of our 45 ft. toy hauler to the Ram.

But as suggested we also use a spotter anytime backing up. I get out and look before I start backing:
1) helps decide how I want to position myself to back
2) look for any obstacles you may need to clear out
3) look up for any tree branches that could damage your rig

Rear view cameras are a great aid in helping to back but do not rely on it solely for backing into a strange spot, just my thoughts
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:

This is what we used on our 28BH before it was totaled.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly, it worked perfect for us. Huge bonus is that it's on all the time so it was great on the highway. You do need your headlights on for it to work but I tow with lights on anyway.

Link if for the Halo and the bracket to convert from furrion. ten minute set up if prewired.

No more cell phone to cell phone.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:27 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
love mine

bought Voyager WVOS541 a couple months ago. $479 (alaska, may be less elsewhere, dunno).
Love it. Not hard to install; camera wired into rear running light, wireless connection to monitor in cab. requires a little drilling and simple wiring; sealing.
It's a dream while driving, really expands what I can see. now, I do use it aggressively for backing into camping sites. I'm one of those guys - despise anyone talking or waving at me while I'm trying to focus - wife learned that the hard way, as well as my neighbors...
Anyway, it works well for me. At night: my wife stands at the center back point where we want the trailer and holds a headlamp about chest high. It shows up in my monitor as a perfect white "target" dot. I just keep it centered as I back, no worries. when i get close to her she becomes lighted up and visible and when to stop is easy to see; ok she does yell "stop" - I'll give her that. oh, the camera has audio as well so if someone is guiding you they can talk to you through the camera. can't talk back though...but it'll keep me from running over my wife.
anyway, well worth having, glad i have it.
troutmandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #12

On a little bit of a tangent. I have a 2020 GMC AT4 with the towing camera package. I bought a GMC trailer camera that makes the trailer invisible when towing. Its mind boggling. When pulling straight you get a very high def view of everything out the back as if the trailer is not there. As soon as you make a lane change it converts the image to the entire side of the truck and trailer on that side. There is another view for backing up that I will never trust as you cant see anything at the upper corners. Overall its bloody brilliant.
Doc Sarvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, newbie, newbies, purchase