Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #1

Newest issue

The skylight in the bedroom, which has a sliding blind on it, is on my wife's side so never noticed this until she pointed it out yesterday. There is a lot of condensation between the domed roof part and the flat, clear inside. I went up on roof today, took this photo, and sent it to the factory to see if they've seen this before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211114_100742102.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	371.5 KB
ID:	348846  
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 06:19 PM   #2

I suspect a tiny crack in the outer dome, or it might be inside condensation getting between the pieces. At any rate you RV should still be under warranty, any DIY fix might void the warranty for that issue.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #3

Well, actually, about a year our of warranty. I do have two items going in tomorrow that the factory is going to cover, but this is new and I just emailed the factory today.
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looks like condensation to me.....is the bathroom dome OK and clear?

Moisture is penetrating the space between the dome and the inside plastic cover seal. Maybe a hairline crack in the roof dome itself.

Look at the dicor carefully for cracks and voids. They are easy to work in if you have to remove it. The inside cover comes off without much fuss.

Do you have lots of humidity where you keep it? Are you full timing?
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Looks like condensation to me.....is the bathroom dome OK and clear?

Moisture is penetrating the space between the dome and the inside plastic cover seal. Maybe a hairline crack in the roof dome itself.

Look at the dicor carefully for cracks and voids. They are easy to work in if you have to remove it. The inside cover comes off without much fuss.

Do you have lots of humidity where you keep it? Are you full timing?
Bathroom dome is fine.
I'm not going to try removing the inside cover as I want the repair shop to see things before I mess with it.
Being in western Montana, our humidity fluctuates a lot, but lately it's been raining and have had light snow already, but like I said in original post, I was just made aware of this so no idea how long it's been going on.
As far as full timing, we have been in the RV since March, awaiting new home build, and move out today.
I'll report back after it's inspected and the extent of any damage. I expect to hear from the factory soon, and am dropping it off today for a complete shower replacement and probably removal and replacement of both slide covers that are coming off the wall.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:02 AM   #6

It appears that you haven't checked / maintained the dicor every 90 days as called for. I suspect the issue is from circled area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211114_100742102.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	348917  
Choclabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #7

Word back from factory is that it isn't a result of sealant, based on that same photo.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:21 AM   #8

looks like condensation rather than leakage to me.

Dave
Old 11-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #9

Hope the OP is keeping an eye on the underside of the roof sheathing.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Hope the OP is keeping an eye on the underside of the roof sheathing.
Yep, I'm 99.9% sure those aren't any sort of sealed unit so it's likely just humid air making it's way to the cold inner surface of the skylight and condensing. Increased ventilation (and/or a dehumidifier if you are plugged in) is the answer.

I would be dropping the inner assy. and check for further condensation issues in the attic space.

Dave
Old 11-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #11

...but not in the bathroom skylight, in the shower? Seems that we'd see the condensation in the more moist area, since its the same construction, before finding it in the bedroom. We've always been good about running fans, and our last fifth wheel, which was not a unit with dual pane windows and would require towelling each morning, never had this issue.
Its at the repair shop now, and we're out of it until spring ir summer, so will report back on what they find.
Not going to be happy if this high end, four season, needs babied more than our old
Jayco.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #12

Water Vapor will move in mysterious ways. Not saying this is your issue. Just saying it will find the weakest link. Warm moist air is drawn to cold drier air, and will find the easier pathway to getting there.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
...but not in the bathroom skylight, in the shower? Seems that we'd see the condensation in the more moist area, since its the same construction, before finding it in the bedroom. We've always been good about running fans, and our last fifth wheel, which was not a unit with dual pane windows and would require towelling each morning, never had this issue.
Its at the repair shop now, and we're out of it until spring ir summer, so will report back on what they find.
Not going to be happy if this high end, four season, needs babied more than our old
Jayco.
depends; if you use a fantastic fan every time you shower and you don't use a fan in the bedroom, it's possible......you'd be surprised at how much water vapor comes from a human body...

Dave
Old 12-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #14

Update. This was added to a short list of items needing attention. The shop pulled the outer part off, cleaned it and resealed top and bottom. The tech wrote "unable to determine cause". We'll see. Was only an hour of labor.