Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #1

NOCO Genius10 recommendation

Funny story: When I worked for an electrical contractor we'd occasionally get a call from a homeowner that a breaker tripped, and the homeowner wanted us to come out and replace the 'bad' breaker. What's wrong with this picture is there is usually a good reason the breaker trips. Here's the funny part: It's years later and I'm retired, and last September we realized that the ceiling lights in our '19 21RBS were brighter on shore power (generator) than on battery. So we discussed getting brighter ceiling lights. Not 'Why are they dimmer?', just 'Replace the bad lights!'.

When I took my Rolls GC2 230Ah batteries out for winter storage I checked the specific gravity: 1125. Oops. I think I found our problem.

So now I'm looking for a charger that will also desulfate our 230 Ah batteries, and the propaganda for the Genius 10 says it will, for batteries this size. Iíd be grateful for any input on this brand, or for a charger/desulfator that would be better. Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #2

I've always used BatteryMINDer chargers with pretty good success. But the NOCO does say it will "rescue" almost dead batteries which mine won't. But I note that the specs on your battery suggest a recommended amperage of 25 for charging. So you might want to look at the NOCO GeniusPro 25.
Old 11-27-2022, 09:49 AM   #3

I have had good luck with the Genius line of chargers, but not for your use.

Which charger/converter is in your trailer? I know there was a switch to the PD4060 I have, which does equalizer on a regular cycle.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #4

The dealer I got the batteries from has offered to put them on a charger that should reverse the sultifation, at least the stuff that hasn't hardened, so we'll give that a shot. I've brought them up to almost full voltage (12.75) but the s.g. is still only 1.175. We'll see. And I did order the Genius10 for future use, whatever battery I have.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatCJ View Post
I have had good luck with the Genius line of chargers, but not for your use.

Which charger/converter is in your trailer? I know there was a switch to the PD4060 I have, which does equalizer on a regular cycle.
I junked the WFCO a couple seasons ago for a PD 4655. The problem, I think, is I didn't fully charge up the batteries on shore power after boondocking and only partially recharging with the small genny. The PD with the booster dongle (whatever it's called, wizard-something) does a good job in the field.
Old 11-28-2022, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Burger View Post
I junked the WFCO a couple seasons ago for a PD 4655. The problem, I think, is I didn't fully charge up the batteries on shore power after boondocking and only partially recharging with the small genny. The PD with the booster dongle (whatever it's called, wizard-something) does a good job in the field.
That makes sense. Charge Wizard Pendant. I need to add it myself.
Old 11-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Outside of winter storage do you leave the camper plugged in to shore power between trips? The Progressive Dynamics charge wizard has an equalization stage that automatically runs for 15 minutes every 21 hours when plugged in to shore power. Leaving it plugged in between trips allows the charge wizard to help prevent stratification and sulfation. I think the Genius10 will work well for maintaining them in winter storage.

I also programmed in a custom charge profile on my Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT solar charger that includes the recommended equalization voltage from Trojan for my T-125's. With the VE solar charger you can have it automatically include an equalization stage or you can initiate it manually which I will do on occasion when we've been off shore power for an extended period of time.

Hopefully your dealer will get them back in shape for you.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Outside of winter storage do you leave the camper plugged in to shore power between trips? The Progressive Dynamics charge wizard has an equalization stage that automatically runs for 15 minutes every 21 hours when plugged in to shore power. Leaving it plugged in between trips allows the charge wizard to help prevent stratification and sulfation.
Thank you for your post. No, I wasn't leaving it plugged in between trips, but I will next year. I bring in my batteries in the winter and will hit them up monthly with the genius10.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Funny story: When I worked for an electrical contractor we'd occasionally get a call from a homeowner that a breaker tripped, and the homeowner wanted us to come out and replace the 'bad' breaker. What's wrong with this picture is there is usually a good reason the breaker trips. Here's the funny part: It's years later and I'm retired, and last September we realized that the ceiling lights in our '19 21RBS were brighter on shore power (generator) than on battery. So we discussed getting brighter ceiling lights. Not 'Why are they dimmer?', just 'Replace the bad lights!'.

When I took my Rolls GC2 230Ah batteries out for winter storage I checked the specific gravity: 1125. Oops. I think I found our problem.

So now I'm looking for a charger that will also desulfate our 230 Ah batteries, and the propaganda for the Genius 10 says it will, for batteries this size. I’d be grateful for any input on this brand, or for a charger/desulfator that would be better. Thank you
I generally equalize battery whether there is too much spread between cells or if SG is on the low end. You clearly are a knowledgeable person so may have done this already. If SG is still low I repeat the process but normally wait a month. Rolls has some good information on this in their manual. For simplicity, when stored I keep my GC batteries on a 2A smart charger and it easily keeps them fully charged, does not consume water and cycles them through a changing voltage/current routine to keep them exercised.

A higher amp charger (20C? or much higher if the battery is rated for it) rate is good if batteries were run to less than 50% SOC but I do not know if it really desulfates better than a smaller charger. Ask Rolls, if they think that desulfating is any better/as good as equalizing.

I too used to bring batteries inside and charge them when they reached 85% SOC but above approach is simpler and may increase battery life a small amount with less risk of charging errors that could dramatically shorten battery life.

I have a PD4060K but don't use it while storing because it an over kill, keeps converter running all the time, likely uses excess energy and may shorten its life and any other item running in camper.
TimtheToolGy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:19 AM   #10

Rolls manual: https://www.rollsbattery.com/wp-cont...ser-Manual.pdf

Search for desulfate.

I no longer have a solar charger that equalizes so use a DC bench top power supply https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The charger that I store batteries on actually is 1A and I know it is keeping batteries charged well because of Victron BMV-712 battery monitor. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have the NOCO 10A but it is an overkill for battery storage.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #11

I use a NOCO GENIUS5, 5-Amp automatic smart charger for a battery maintainer for my truck and trailer https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS5-.../dp/B07W8KJH44
Old 12-03-2022, 05:27 PM   #12

So is the charger that comes in the trailer not desirable for winter storage if the trailer is plugged in? I also have a Zamp solar controller and two panels on the roof that get sun 1/2 the day. I have 4 AMG 6v batteries.

Yesterday I flipped the battery disconct switch and planned on just unplugging the trailer from the house, using the solar panels and Zamp controller to keep the batteries up this winter. I know that will work but maybe I should do something different? Should I just keep the trailer plugged in? Keep the disconnect switch on? I'm new to multi 6v batteries and solar on this trailer.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:43 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post
So is the charger that comes in the trailer not desirable for winter storage if the trailer is plugged in? I also have a Zamp solar controller and two panels on the roof that get sun 1/2 the day. I have 4 AMG 6v batteries.

Yesterday I flipped the battery disconct switch and planned on just unplugging the trailer from the house, using the solar panels and Zamp controller to keep the batteries up this winter. I know that will work but maybe I should do something different? Should I just keep the trailer plugged in? Keep the disconnect switch on? I'm new to multi 6v batteries and solar on this trailer.

John
As I recall starting with the 2020 MY ORV started using Progressive Dynamics power centers that include converter/chargers with the Charge Wizard technology. My 2019 23DBS had the WFCO power center and I swapped out the converter/charger for a Progressive Dynamics PD4655 as my past experience with WFCO hasn't been very good. For flooded lead acid batteries I like to keep mine plugged in when not in use including over the winter. The Charge Wizard will float at 13.2v and then for 15 minutes every 21 hours boosts for a light equalize charge which is supposed to reduce sulfation/stratification. You can see that activity in the below screenshot of the last week of history from my BMV-712.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 3.36.24 PM.png
Views:	4
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	382050  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post

John
Your plan is quite good and there is no reason to change it. With the stock battery disconnect switch off the Zamp solar controller will charge the batteries for a shorter period of time than with it on which in my mind is a good thing (minor) but with zero proof. I also have zero data to indicate that using a plugged in AC smart charger is any better than what you are doing.

As a matter of fact I recently have no AC where camper is stored so the AGM batteries are just 100% disconnected and likely are fine for quite a number of months. To reduce risk of me accidentally leaving batteries connected with just stock shut off switch turned off, I may do exactly what you have done and let the solar charger do the work. Your approach of using the solar controller is simpler than plugging in a smart charger and reduces risk of accidentally having smart charger unplugged.