Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Norcold issues continue.....

08/2018 bought a new 2019 260RLS with a Norcold N8XCL fridge.

First trip out it worked on electric 2 days then burnt a resistor in the fridge circuit board and switched over to propane. Worked fine on propane.

Todd at ORV shipped me a new board free I installed it easy peasy. Norcold claimed they "got a batch of bad boards".

Next time out it worked 2 days and burnt the same resistor. Same results.

Todd at ORV shipped me a new board free I installed it. Different part number on the board this time. Much larger resistor on this board.

Next time out it worked 2 days, burnt larger resistor, switched to propane.

Took it to huge Norcold service center near me. They replaced the circuit board, tested all the camper wiring etc. Norcold whines about "dirty electric". Warranty work no charge.

Next time out (October 2019) it worked 3 days, same issue, same resistor, same junk problem.

Took it back to same service center. Norcold refused to warranty it..."dirty electric". But unbeknownst to them I had installed a 350.00 surge protector so there was no chance of that being the issue. So after a conversation with the warranty folks at Norcold they said that they would provide a 5th board.....yes this was number 5 in a year......and if it failed again they would replace the fridge. So my camper sat at the dealership from early November until last week. The warranty repair shop isolated the fridge by plugging it directly into an extension cord. Norcold of course was blaming ORV for wiring issues even though the warranty center checked all that out. So after a couple of months of testing it blew another board and Norcold FINALLY replaced the fridge. So even though they finally had to admit their product was garbage....they took one more parting shot by telling the warranty center that I have ZERO warranty on the fridge they sent to replace the defective one. During this entire year of 2019 I had nothing but problems....EVERY time out. Todd at ORV was perfect through it all. He even wrote up a work order to provide a new fridge if Norcold refused. I have nothing but praise for ORV during this.

I guess we will see how long this one lasts....and how soon I have to sue Norcold if they don't step up and repair their junk.
Nodrama43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 PM   #2

Wow. Glad ORV was responsive. Why do companies (Norcold) have to be such jerks about a small thing that won't move the needle on their year-end profit statement? Just give the customer a new fridge and say thank you for your business. Avoids all the dramaand creates good will amongst the RV community. Hope this one works for you.
Mordecai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #3

These kind of stories never cease to amaze me! This one got my attention since we also have an N8XCL in our 250RDS and on our first major trip out covering 5k miles it only worked about 1/3 of the time with no error indications or obvious bad electronics or heating issues. Your experience and our experience reminds me that when we go out this year to not have any preconceived notions of reliability with our refer and to always have a backup ice box with plenty of ice. Unfortunate reality we live in...
Old 01-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #4

Nodrama43 For crying out loud please LEARN how to spell correctly! It’s NOTCOLD, damit!!!
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #5

On our N7LX.3F if we drive a rough road or over 35 mph our flame goes out; built a baffle to protect the flame and it’s better but it’s still a NOTCOLD!
Old 01-27-2020, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff-Happens View Post
On our N7LX.3F if we drive a rough road or over 35 mph our flame goes out; built a baffle to protect the flame and it’s better but it’s still a NOTCOLD!

Would you be willing to share what your baffle design looks like? I also tried a variety of baffles during our trip but flame would never stay lit while traveling...
Old 01-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #7

Had a 8 cuft Norcold in our Fox Mountain for 6 years and zero issues.
Our 2019 Norcold is temperamental sometimes. When running on propane while traveling the switching to elec sometimes it won't switch. I have to completely turn it off then try elec again. Once in a while it takes two tries to make the switch over.
Seems like every time a MFG tries to make something bettter it makes it worse. Our 2013 Norcold just had the little temp slide lever. The new one's got the push button temp changer. Can't wait for that part to fail.
It is nice to see that ORV will step up in these types of situations.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #8

prefers check your mail.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:26 PM   #9

rpeders check your mail...
Old 01-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wonderful to hear that Todd and ORV were extremely helpful in this case. This process sounds like a real pain in the butt. Luckily, you had a norcold service center nearby.

I guess it is good practice to always travel with spare cooler just in case.
TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post

I guess it is good practice to always travel with spare cooler just in case.
.... or a spare Norcold control board
Old 01-28-2020, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
.... or a spare Norcold control board
We shouldn't have to, but we carry a spare board. It's become that important to us, kinda like having a spare tire. Heck, it's just gonna need to be replaced anyway. Cheaper & smaller to carry than a Yetti.

Hadn't gotten a flat tire the 4 months of use before winterizing, but we're on our third board. Thanks NotCold!

--------------------------------------------------
>>> Don't want to wait around watching your fridge to throw a code? Not to worry, just download NotCold's free Android app to let you know when it does <<<
--------------------------------------------------

-Winnie the Pooh-
Leaf-Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is ridiculous.

Our ancient Norcold is still chugging along, under propane or 120VAC, despite my several attempts to kill it by parking at extreme angles.

Sometimes newer isn't better.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I just replaced the AC heaters in my 1200LRIM. $120 and she's working perfectly again.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold