Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2018, 12:02 PM   #1

Omnidirectional antenna

Are there any connections to check at the roof? I've checked the connections behind the tv (and behind the booster switch plate, verified they are correctly connected and tight, but really poor reception. I can upgrade to a new antenna, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I get a few stations inside a major city, but not all. At home I get nothing, despite getting about 6 or 8 over-the-air in the house.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2018, 04:28 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Maybe silly question, but have you pushed the button to turn on the OTA signal amplifier?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #3

Has to have a coax up at the antenna......so there's a coupler........and if your unit is set up for a bedroom tv, there'll be a splitter....more connections......have seen bad crimps on cable ends.....last winter the camper next to me, which had that style of antenna couldn't get anything, and with my batwing, was pulling in 20..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't know about that button on our first trailer....wondered why there was snow and only 2 stations! DOH!

Some folks are finding damaged cable inside the trailer due to bad installation. Yes, there is a connection up on the roof under the antenna. Hope you don't have to open that up and disturb the sealing.

The omni ORV uses is a weak link in my opinion. I used to get more stations with the Winegard crank up on my last trailer. Went to satellite and ended the crappy reception issue.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:55 PM   #5

Booster is on. I'd have to check again, but at least some of the coax connectors are the non-crimp type.

Behind the panel I find numerous coax, 2 unused, 1 must go to bedroom tv connector, not sure on the other.
5 total, ant in, cable in, sattelite in, bedroom, mystery and number 5! I've tried all of them anyway. I'm sticking with the original, as it did get a few stations at one time.
I'll probably upgrade to the directional batwing. I don't foresee using the tv much, but when I want to catch the news it would be nice to have a working unit (that I paid for)
Old 06-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

….my experience with the old omni-directional antenna [disc] went south with the advent of digital, OTA, TV signals....in general, digital signals are more directional and line of sight vs the old analog….accordingly, the new digital antennas need to be pointed toward the tower/station source and things like hills or ridge lines will also block the signal....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 05:06 PM   #7

If you decide to change, before you disconnect the coax, and if there's any slack in the cable, raise it up as much as you can and see if it works any better...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:23 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One of my spring camping weekends to a place I normally get 60+ channels with my old bat-wing antenna I can now only get about 40 channels. And only 3 of the 4 major city channels. The old bat-wing I could move it about 30-40 degrees to get that 4th major city channel. Now you get what you get....With the built in DVD played we now tend to watch a movie instead, Or, according to my son "We will be watching his movie tonight"
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes the transition from analog to digital changed the pattern of the transmission and reduced what they call the contour or transmission pattern - they shrank. Also DTV either works or doesn't there is no in-between - no fuzzy picture. The same frequencies are being used as the old VHF and UHF channels - so the same antennas can work. I have not found where my new omnidirectional antenna is any worse than my old Bat Wing at finding and bringing in stations. I get all my locals and have had few problems in our favorite campgrounds. Recently in Bend I got 16 stations and the person a few sites over got only the PBS station.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

My antenna looks like a batwing, but is fixed, no extension or rotation. From previous experience installing a handful of yagi antennas on the house, I'm probably expecting too much of this omni ORV antenna. I hate to have to remove a new antenna for another new antenna...

Tags
antenna