Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 08:17 AM   #1

One AC or Two 250RKS or RDS?

I've come from an Airstream that did a lot of things well. Towing, use of space, ease of use, simplicity. One thing it did not do well was cool down when in a hot climate. One week of 100F temps in Denver with two ACs (30' trailer) was not effective.

I'm looking at ORV 250RKS or RDS and debating 30 or 50 amps. The ORV seems to do insulation really well, but I don't want to be on the margin if we are in a hot place. Most of the time our rig will be in moderate to cool climates.

What has been your experience with this size ORV with either one or two AC units?

Grateful for your input.

Bruce
BAP5340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP5340 View Post
I've come from an Airstream that did a lot of things well. Towing, use of space, ease of use, simplicity. One thing it did not do well was cool down when in a hot climate. One week of 100F temps in Denver with two ACs (30' trailer) was not effective.

I'm looking at ORV 250RKS or RDS and debating 30 or 50 amps. The ORV seems to do insulation really well, but I don't want to be on the margin if we are in a hot place. Most of the time our rig will be in moderate to cool climates.

What has been your experience with this size ORV with either one or two AC units?

Grateful for your input.

Bruce
If I could have a do-over, I'd spec the 50 amp system and a single 15K A/C unit vs the 13.5k unit that is in our TT. With this setup you could always add a 2nd unit if you find that a single 15k isn't adequate.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

We have a 280KVS and are glad that we opted for 2 A/Cs. We spent part of this summer camping in Eastern Washington with temperatures over 110º. One A/C couldn't keep the trailer cooler than 85-90º. The second A/C made for a comfortable 75º.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP5340 View Post

Grateful for your input.

Bruce
We have a 2020 250 RKS. Love it. It is wired for 50 amps. We only have one 13.5 AC. Live in Sacramento area where we get temps of 100 often. It takes the trailer HOURS to cool down from that temp but I’ve been very pleased that it can hold 72 easily throughout the trailer once it gets there. I actually don’t want a 2nd AC because I love the maxair fan over the bed. But I am still am glad I got 50amp. Use the fireplace on cold mornings with the microwave, etc. and who knows maybe someday I’ll want another AC.

Cheers
wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:44 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 14 250RDSW and just have the one 13.5 AC. It runs a lot when it's hot. I travel with 2 Bernese Mtn dogs and I find that a small fan on the floor moving the air really helps.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote