Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 07:10 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Opinions on 24RLS or 24RKS

We are thinking of selling our 27BHS as kids gone and don't need the large size trailer anymore. We are looking at the 24RLS or 24 RKS. We haven't had a chance to see them in person yet. We live in southern Wisconsin and are waiting to hear from a dealer in Nebraska that is suppose to be getting both. We can then look, decide which one we like, come home and sell ours.

Would like to hear pros and cons of both floorplans please.
2015 Ram 2500 6.4/4:10
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Waunacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waunacamper View Post
We are thinking of selling our 27BHS as kids gone and don't need the large size trailer anymore. We are looking at the 24RLS or 24 RKS. We haven't had a chance to see them in person yet. We live in southern Wisconsin and are waiting to hear from a dealer in Nebraska that is suppose to be getting both. We can then look, decide which one we like, come home and sell ours.

Would like to hear pros and cons of both floorplans please.
We chose the 24RLS. We like the large window in the rear, sort of like an enclosed porch. I am also not a fan of the kitchen being at the rear of the trailer, it's gonna get the full effect of bouncing down the road.
Also the floorplan is fully usable with the slide retracted.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We love our rear kitchen, (not traipsing though the unit to grab a beverage) tons of storage, usable when slide is in. They changed the layout in the back country series and looks like they lost some inside storage capabilities, mountain series timber ridge class is still the same.

As far as rear kitchen bouncing down the road, I personally don't think it's a issue..up and down vs side to side.

Unfortunately the best way for YOU to figure which one would suit you best, is spend some time in each one, you and the DW walking around, sitting, trying to move past each other in different areas of the trailer. Rv shows/dealers is the best place for that, but cant imagine rv shows happening anytime soon. If your not too far away from the dealer in Nebraska, call it a weekend getaway with the missus..

You can tell the build quality of these rigs as soon as you step into them, floor is solid, try stomping your foot on some of others..feels like your going to blow right through, lean on a interior wall..etc...

Happy hunting, I'm sure others will chime in, the RLS model does seem to be fairly popular.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:33 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And there, in just 2 posts, you have the reason that ORV makes both layouts. People tend to be polarized to one or the other. As Brad says, you really need to experience them yourself. It's a personal choice.

By the way, my wife and I absolutely LOVE our RLS, with the great visibility out when we are relaxing in our recliners. But we have friends who will only buy a rig with a rear kitchen. There's no right or wrong answer.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

We chose the 25RDS out of all 3. Reasons were that we had already had a 5er with the sink in the bedroom and didn't like it. We also had an RLS and the recliners in the rear were sometimes a PITA. We also don't like step in tubs for showers. We wanted more counter space in the kitchen as well. We also wanted a door into the bedroom for more privacy/quietness. Our FM 235RLS had a curtain like the 24RKS and we got tired of it.

If there wasn't a 25RDS I would go 24RLS. Enclosed all in one bathroom, bedroom door, large rear window. The 24RKS does have awesome storage inside but being dry campers out is scenic areas we really love the big back window.
All subjective of course.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Been looking at the 24RLS a couple yrs and finally am close to buying if I can find a decent price. Not seeing many left over 19’s and the ones I’ve seen are not substantially cheaper then the new 2020 version. I do like the couple of changes they’ve made to the 2020.

Owners, if you don’t mind what are decent price ranges and did you find dealers willing to deal a little? My local dealer doesn’t seem to be flexible at all. When I’ve emailed out of state dealers they are apprehensive to give prices maybe because I’m out of state?
I’m in N.CA and retired so really watching my $, just trying to keep it under 40k total. Both our boys have moved out of state which we plan on doing as well very soon but buying trailer first would be very helpful for us. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated!
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
CNPH: I agree, with inventory low the prices are high. We looked at a 2019 thinking we could get a deal, but no. They wanted high $30's, I told them I thought price was high and could get a '20 or even '21 model for not much more. They even agreed! Stock is just starting to roll into dealers so we will wait and see. We need to physically see them before we will put ours on the market.
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Old 06-02-2020, 05:55 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I almost bought in Feb. of this year. I made an offer of 34k and literally was a day or two from driving, then had a health issue pop up which kept me at home and of course then we got locked down for virus. Still locked down basically where we live but not feeling worried about driving since everywhere else seems to be much less restrictive. Just trying to keep purchase close to 35k which after my state fees will keep us under my cap of 40k.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:20 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We came from an AF 22H and were at first looking for something just a wee bit bigger with a walkaround bed. Our fist ORV choice was a Creekside 23RB it was the same layout as our 22H but with a walkaround bed. It felt too cramped. Next we started looking at way larger units - 24RLS, RKS, and 25RDS. The RDS checked all the boxes - the RLS was a close second. Now for the reasons why the RKS did not check the boxes. Tub Shower and separate sink were show stoppers. Also with the rear kitchen you are trying to cook and people going in and out of the rig. Pros for the RKS - fridge access from outside is great. lots of kitchen storage also more sleeping space with the sofa. RLS was nice and probably if my wife had not been set on the RDS we would have one. There is no substitute for the big rear window.
Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We just drove 2 1/2 hours to look at a 2020 24RLS Anniversary edition. While there we had the opportunity to also look at the RKS and other ORV models. In the bedroom, they have a swing door that doesn't work for us. You have to close the door once you walk into the bedroom in order to walk to the port side of the bed. I decided you could remove the door, but we felt it was just poor design.
X1G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What I find frustrating is how some dealers list their units. Some list them as 2019’s some list the exact same unit as a 2020. My guess is some list the year based on when they took delivery. Plus I know ORV does make changes sometimes mid run.
All I know is I want the larger bed, the non-split kitchen sink.
We shall see, I’ve talked to 3 dealers this far just waiting to hear back.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have read where others with the 24rls removed the bedroom door and just open the bathroom door to serve as a block. I was told there are no changes to the '21 models although they can always make changes on the fly as usual. I do like the changes they made to the '20 model over the '19.
2021 Back Country 24KRS
Old 06-03-2020, 05:28 PM   #13

Well, if you Badgers want to take a drive over to southern Michigan we will gladly show you our 24RLS. Proud owners for four weeks and stayed in it 12 nights thus far. If you’re looking for a good price call Karl at Apache in Everett. I got a pretty nice deal on a 2020 but it was during the Covid scare and things werent moving. I removed the bedroom door and think the layout is perfect. The HUGE rear window sold us and the recliners dont bother us at all. Slide away from the wall and kick back. Wake up in the morning and turn around in the chairs and see the sunrise. We love the dang thing and are camping in northern Indiana next weekend. It was well worth the week of driving.

T4
T4halo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:13 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
During our 18 month "next" RV search, the first time we were on a lot (WY.) that sold ORV product, I first went in the 24RLS and loved the size of the bathroom. That was one thing on my "must have" was a larger size shower stall than the two previous Aerolite RV trailers. The downer on this units was there was no couch, so my adult son would have to put the dinette down every night.

Next was the 24 RKS, took my wife all but 15 minutes to say "This is the one". Checked all her boxes: couch, large dinette table, everything can be used when slide is in, and have plenty of storage space. Enough said. The 24 RKS will have a some what more storage than the 24 RLS. The rear kitchen was a non-issue. As someone said above, having the kitchen right there at the rear door is very convenient. When were loading all the food stuffs and beverages, we just open the rear RV door and sling the Rubbermaid tub of food items in. Beer, pop and juice go in the narrow cabinet next to the stove (two cases of pop fit side by side in the cabinet ). The water goes under the couch.

Having now used it for two seasons, the storage is endless in the 24 RKS. I did take that drawer under the frig out and convert it to a hinged cabinet door for my tool area. The bathroom shower has plenty of room over the two other RV's we had. You do have to get used to not walking into the actual bathroom to wash your hands, as the sink is in the hallway.

I would not limit yourself to one dealer. We actually bought it from the furthest RV dealer of the 3-4 I was getting quotes from (Thompson RV in Eastern OR.) When your coming from Ohio, they were all going to be 1500 to 2200 miles away anyway. All the others would had to order one, Thomson RV had my unit on the lot. The RV dealer we first looked at ORV's in WY. was trying to sell the left-over 2017 they had on the lot, we wanted a 18' and not a Titanium.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	288215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	288216  

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote