Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2020, 07:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
The day I purchased my ORV 25RDS, I stopped at a rest stop to fill it with water (tank in the rear) with the anticipation that we were going boondocking that evening. I had less than 30 miles to go for home on an Interstate. I could not keep it on the road! Despite an elaborate sway bar system, the added weight on the rear without a front load caused tremendous sway at 50 mph. Lesson learned: balanced load is super important. To date, I've had no problems towing my ORV with my F-150, but I have encountered significant sway at times (particularly during gusty days).
Not to go all in weight police but I hope you have an F150 with the HDPP option.
I tow my 25RDS with a Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 and on occasion still get moved around a little. I can't imagine a lighter shorter WB truck in those situations.
I wish ORV could've made the 25RDS with the axles a little further rearward for more stability. I tow a lot with the fresh water tank full or at least 1/3 full. I don't notice much difference.
How are you setting up your WDH. Is there a chance you're not getting enough weight transferred back to the front end?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #30

Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not to go all in weight police but I hope you have an F150 with the HDPP option.
I tow my 25RDS with a Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 and on occasion still get moved around a little. I can't imagine a lighter shorter WB truck in those situations.
I wish ORV could've made the 25RDS with the axles a little further rearward for more stability. I tow a lot with the fresh water tank full or at least 1/3 full. I don't notice much difference.
How are you setting up your WDH. Is there a chance you're not getting enough weight transferred back to the front end?
Maybe that's the issue...
My F-150 is the XLT series supercrew with a 3.5L V6 Ecoboost and 157" WB, but NOT the HDPP option. Interesting...I was assured by both dealers (Ford and ORV) that towing wouldn't be an issue with this combination. Now, I'm not a happy camper...
Medicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
BAAA HAAA
Sorry not so funny, did you tell them WHAT you were planning on towing?
Not that it matters, they will tell folks anything to sell a truck Same goes for Boats, campers, Yada Yada.....

I bought a 3/4 Ton and then went Truck Camper shopping... Bought an Arctic Fox 811 cause it was made for my truck... sure.. till I started running the numbers with it loaded..... Not so much... Yeah the truck worked for it, but a couple of thousand later it drove better but still had me worried for the 12 years I owned it..
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
Maybe that's the issue...
My F-150 is the XLT series supercrew with a 3.5L V6 Ecoboost and 157" WB, but NOT the HDPP option. Interesting...I was assured by both dealers (Ford and ORV) that towing wouldn't be an issue with this combination. Now, I'm not a happy camper...
On paper everything fits. Out in the real world it's much different. Years ago I had an F150 145" WB Max Tow (11,200 lbs) and towed a 7200 lb 31' TT. The truck and TT were never totally on the same page. I always had to be aware of what was going on. Two hands on the wheel most of the time. Never any serious sway issue. Moved up to a 3/4 ton and the TT didn't move the truck around. Much easier tow.
I would say that if you're happy with your truck except for towing and don't want to drop some big $$$ on a new one then you should look into a premium hitch like a Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow.
I found a used one for $950 and used it for the last 1.5 seasons with the F150. It made a HUGE difference. Zero push pull when passing semis.
In Oregon semis at the time were limited to 55 mph. I usually ran 60-63 mph so I had to pass many on a longer freeway trips.
It was now a one handed affair.
Even going to the 3/4 ton didn't give me the solid feel as much as the HA or PP did with the F150.
Just something to ponder.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
On paper everything fits. Out in the real world it's much different. Years ago I had an F150 145" WB Max Tow (11,200 lbs) and towed a 7200 lb 31' TT. The truck and TT were never totally on the same page. I always had to be aware of what was going on. Two hands on the wheel most of the time. Never any serious sway issue. Moved up to a 3/4 ton and the TT didn't move the truck around. Much easier tow.
I would say that if you're happy with your truck except for towing and don't want to drop some big $$$ on a new one then you should look into a premium hitch like a Pro Pride or Hensley Arrow.
I found a used one for $950 and used it for the last 1.5 seasons with the F150. It made a HUGE difference. Zero push pull when passing semis.
In Oregon semis at the time were limited to 55 mph. I usually ran 60-63 mph so I had to pass many on a longer freeway trips.
It was now a one handed affair.
Even going to the 3/4 ton didn't give me the solid feel as much as the HA or PP did with the F150.
Just something to ponder.
Cumminsfan, thank you so much for the excellent info. Your perspective is spot on. I thought my sway bar system was top notch, but maybe I should look into both Pro Pride and Hensley Arrow. Again, thanks for following up with me. Happy travels and stay safe!

Medicus
Old 05-08-2020, 05:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
BAAA HAAA
Sorry not so funny, did you tell them WHAT you were planning on towing?
Not that it matters, they will tell folks anything to sell a truck Same goes for Boats, campers, Yada Yada.....

I bought a 3/4 Ton and then went Truck Camper shopping... Bought an Arctic Fox 811 cause it was made for my truck... sure.. till I started running the numbers with it loaded..... Not so much... Yeah the truck worked for it, but a couple of thousand later it drove better but still had me worried for the 12 years I owned it..
Yea. I agree. I believe BOTH dealers were only interested in the sale. Man, the real problem now is that I really love my truck!!! I'd hate to give it up for another and incur another $20k or so to upgrade.

Tags
tongue weight, weight