Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
ORV East Coast Rally 2021 “Where & When”

I guess it’s never “too” early to at least start a discussion on our next ORV Rally. The big monkey in the room will be how will Covid19 and a possible vaccine work it’s way into retuning us into a more normal time. We just don’t know.

On my return from North Hampton Beach I stopped at Glimmerglass State Park near Cooperstown. Nice small park, but being so close to Cooperstown, im afraid it would fill up early. I’m not sure how far ahead New York allows reservations. Even driving thru Cooperstown on a Sunday it was packed.

** In researching locations I like to keep in mind locations that don’t fill up completely 6 months ahead. For our first ORV Rally that was way I mentioned Cook Forest as going there for years the electric loops never filled up in the summer till a month or two out, even a week or two out.

My actual next stop was Gilbert State Park about an hour north of Binghamton. Very nice lake, nice hiking. The whole campground was split into two areas 2 miles apart. I was in the lower loop (Electric section). The electric sites were OK.

Presently we’re on a 16 day loop around The Allegheny National Forest in NE. PA. Our first stop was Chapman State Park about 10 mile south of Warren PA. Very well maintained park. It was rebuilt two years ago and they did a fantastic job. A little bit of everything here: kayaking ( 50 acre lake ) hiking, bike trail on an old railroad bed right thru the campground. I had only called about 4 weeks ago for a late September electric site and most of the Electric ones were available. But being a nice weekend by my arrival, all the electric ones were booked for the weekend. Otherwise there were maybe 10-15 campers in the park Monday thru Friday. So not sure what summer brings here.

Just my two cents in one of the places we should put on our list for a 2021 Rally. On the old 2020 rally page Cliff said he either drove thru or has camped here too. I was here for a week (Sept 21-28) and enjoyed myself. One note: even being in a boxed Valley, Internet was good.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2020, 03:13 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Glimmerglass is a sweet little State Park, but I agree with Jim that its proximity to Cooperstown might make reservations difficult to acquire.

Chapman is listed on ReserveAmerica as Chapman State Park and on CampgroundReviews.com as Chapman Dam State Park. Based on the addresses, they appear to be the same. Presently, it has an 8.3 rating on CampgroundReviews (based on older reviews prior to the upgrade), and there are photos of the campsites on ReserveAmerica. It looks like this campground is open year-round with an 11 month booking window. Gentlemen, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on what Cliff, Jim and Wally said about the area and the available activities, it seems like Chapman would be solid choice - my humble opinion only.

Mary
Old 10-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We need to agree on the dates.

For the group, is it better in August before the kiddies are back to school, or just after Labor day, and the little urchins are not underfoot?

I looked and we can reserve 11 months out and the place is pretty much wide open for next fall.

Chapman State Park (Pennsylvania)
https://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/F...ages/Stay.aspx

Modern Electric RV site
Modern Electric RV Mon Sep 28 2020 - Sat Aug 28 2021
Reservations can be made for today and can be made up to 11 Month(s) in advance.

Season
Peak - Thu Apr 01 2021 thru Sun Oct 31 2021

Campground Details
https://pennsylvaniastateparks.reser...&parkId=880104[/url]
Old 10-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
A few other points about Chapman. #1. There is only “one” hole at the dump station. The camp host says it foes get backed as everyone seems to want to leave at noon.
#2 when I was there last week a survey crew was there servicing for what looks like some full service sites, 5 each in the pet and non-pet loops. Might be to put it out for bid in the future.
#3 Between the pet and non-pet loops, the pet loop has far more sites that are RV trailer friendly. The non-pet loop is a little more in the wood / up the hill. Where as the non-pet loop has mostly level sites ( sites 1-42 ) I do have pictures of just about all the electric sites.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:44 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My wife and I are on board with Chapman Dam State Park if that is the choice. At this point, we are open for the summer and have not cemented any travel plans. All we need is the date and we can make our reservations.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm sure our Wagon Master will step in soon to start herding the cats. I'm not sure what phone/internet service he has at the moment. Meanwhile . . .

Mary
Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Chapman Dam is Frontrunner

Hi all,

This wagon master thing feels more like being chosen to bell the cat!

Our rallys must be getting more popular, as this thread started 2 months earlier than last year's!

Anyhow, Chapman Dam SP is a known commodity to a few of us, so I'm going to move forward with that location. Diane and I will be camping in the area, so we will stop by and have a chat with the Ranger. We need to check for any proposed construction that may interfere with a rally. Now that the dam and spillway are done, they did want to repave a few roads. That was on hold this year, of course.

I'm thinking if we go late September, like the first year, we'll be into leaf peeping season. Maybe around 23 September. I'll work on firming that up for a future post. Since there is an 11 month advance booking window, I'll get the dates up by the end of this month. A quick check this morning shows all sites open on Sept 1, but it won't show beyond that.

In the meantime, take a look at the campground map http://elibrary.dcnr.pa.gov/GetDocum...pgroundMap.pdf

As Superslif mentioned, the lower loop is all level, seems more open, and there is no big hill to walk or bike like at the upper loop. It is also the pet loop. We've stayed in both loops and prefer the lower.

Lot's to do! Not a moment to spare! Here's hoping that the complications of 2020 are behind us so we can have a bigger turnout in 2021.

Regards,
Old 10-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx, Wagon Master 2021

As far as I know all the paving is done. When I was there last week ( September 21-28th ) every road surface from the park office thru out the campground was fresh asphalt. When I arrived on Monday Sept 21st there was “some” color in the trees. But Monday and Tuesday nights were in the mid 30’s, so that really got the colors changing fast. By the next weekend it was nearing peak color.

As far as your construction worries, if and when they start putting in the full service sites, it’s only going to effect the ones nearest the dump station. That was where the survey crew was concentrating their measurements. Actually mostly in the non-electric sites.

Here is a picture from the lake about Sept 25th. Kind of a cool feature of the lake is: At the mouth of the lake there is a 30’ wide creek that runs thru it. They make an effort to keep it clear for kayakers to travel up at least a 1/3 if a mile on flat water. There is a gravel road / bike path that takes you into the National Forest and loops you to the other side of the lake. Or, you can take the Lowlands Trail across the suspension bridge to the other side of the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86D3D3C0-202F-43DA-8E3F-7FA230B2CB56.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	303228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DC11CA21-CC4D-4574-A550-5C3D70A8591A.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	524.5 KB
ID:	303229  

Name:	7CD0787F-16D1-4BCF-82D4-1B38E8C0B91F.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	604.1 KB
ID:	303230   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9A04A4-081F-4F4A-9E31-53ECC1F56F88.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	611.9 KB
ID:	303237  

Old 10-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am going to guess this is the East side rally. The one in Oregon is planned for June 25,26&27.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes, and it's only 9 states away from you - maybe you and the pups should should join us!

Mary
Old 10-04-2020, 08:29 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi...where can I find out more about the Oregon Rally....I'm in Montana and even though the east coast is beautiful too many people with too much traffic...nerve racking for this old duffer.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Info on the West Rally is on the ORV suite. June 25, 26, 27 in Joseph Oregon at Park at the River RV camp.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cliff (Cornbinder), have you thought about any other locations for next years rally? I do like your idea of a later Sept. date to catch the start of the fall colors. With only going to Chapman once, I really thought it was a very well kept park. AND, I think more importantly, it gives more time for the distribution of any vaccine to work its way thru the population with a Sept. date.

The main issue I see it is, the weekends at state parks that I would have normally frequented, I could get a site a few weeks out, are now filled "months" out. Throw in trying to reserve space for 8-12 sites on a particular location, will be a challenge.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #14

I just went online to check out site availability at Chapman SP for a stay starting around Sept 23-ish, 2021. It's still a few days early to book with the 11 month booking window, but as of today the whole "upper loop" currently shows it's unavailable to book (see picture). Any idea what's up with that?

On Edit: Looking further online, the upper loop is available for booking up till Labor Day, but not after.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Chapman 9-20-21.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	305395  

-Winnie the Pooh-
Closed Thread

Tags
east coast, rally