Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #99

My 260 RDSB ''Santorini'' has been perfect since I bought it lightly used in Jan. 2018. The original owner said he had no issues with the coach either. I have purchased 3 new units other than Outdoors and all had minor issues with all 3 that were assembly related and think its fairly normal. I am selling my TT and buying a class C and will post any issues if I buy new.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Maybe trailers could be sold as a kit delivered to your driveway.
Basically, many (most?) are now. The builder supplies everything but the tools to finish what they start.

Just took delivery of my 3rd Montana. Have been it 37 nights without a single problem. The 1st required a supplier (Atwood) to send a mobile tech to the CG, the 2nd had a few cosmetic issues CW quickly took care of (I would have but a piece of trim had to be ordered).
Old 08-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #101

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting Nervous about buying a ORV

Hi,

The wife and I purchased our first and only trailer about 2 years ago, a 2018 Forest River Rockwood Roo 233S, a 21ft hard shell/hybrid w/3 fold out canvas covered queen beds. We like it a lot, BUT after 2 years of use decided we made a mistake by buying a hybrid. We travel to bear country where because of the canvas beds we are required to completely empty all food and anything that smells and put it in the bear locker!! A pain in the butt! Plus we don't like that the hybrid is harder to keep cool and warm, and noise travels inside too easy.

So, I have spent the last 6 months researching our 2nd trailer purchase. I've learned a lot about this industry while owning my 1st trailer and researching my 2nd. I decided quality would be at the top of my list when buying my 2nd trailer.

I ended up with 3 brands on my list; Airstream, Lance, and ORV. Deleted Airstream because I'm just not going to spend that kind of money and frankly don't like them. I looked at Lance first because they had a King Bed, but they just don't have storage space, really poor actually, both inside and out! When I found ORV I thought I had hit the jackpot!

I have been lurking, and occasionally asking a few questions on this forum. I was/(probably still am) planning on buying a 260RLS this fall. BUT I'm getting VERY NERVOUS now after reading everything I see on this forum about poor build quality!!

Frankly my Rockwood has had almost ZERO issues after 2 years. One cabinet drawer needed some work and the stove cover needed a readjustment, and that is it. Reading everything I read about other brands, and now even ORV I feel dang lucky!

I'm now questioning the qualify of ORV, unfortunately. If it's really evolved to not being better than others, why should I pay the premium for it? It really does cost considerably more. My Rockwood has just as nice cabinetry, appointments, etc. I think "think" I still believe in ORV quality but now I'm nervous and questioning my decision.

All the "guts" and appliances, parts, etc, are all made by the suppliers, and are the same as everyone! The opportunity for brands to distinguish themselves is in how they put the parts together! Quality manufacturing!

ARGH! Not sure what to do! I'm headed to the ORV factory for a tour in the next month or so, hopefully that will help close the deal. I really want to go with ORV, but now I'm just not sure. Going to also stop by Pendleton RV while I'm there. I don't love the dealers in my area which is also a problem.

Confused in NorCal...
wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:12 PM   #102

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow, so many posts from members who have less that 30 posts, many with only a few, during the last year condemning ORV? Maybe these are corporations infiltrating our peaceful boards? This is getting out of hand. What thread he commanded such attention?
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #103

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well there wprather, IMO you are headed down the right road. I looked for years for a trailer to replace my Sunnybrook. I finally found it in ORV, Wind River 250RDSW. Sure I have had issues but with the help of the the guys at the factory they are gone. Remember, people come to this forum because they are having problems. I have been to every rally, I know the guys at the factory and they know me, and my dogs. The quality, fit and finish has improved vastly since I bought mine in 2013 as a 2014 unit. They have improved the quality of the parts they use. Before you take the tour, watch the on line videos about their construction so you will have some questions to ask them, ask anything. Just recently they have bench marked the construction. That is, everyone does each process the same as trained. Ask about it and meet the QC manager. They have looked at every part and the way each one goes into the trailer. Everything is top quality, just look at the list. My trailer has never failed me on any of my trips and each year I do a 3K mile one to the Pacific Northwest towing at full legal speed, 75 at times. It tows great.

You are going to Thompson RV, great people that support the rally. I would trust them to do the PDI. But you do one also. Sit in the floorplans you like for a while and think about being in it to wait out a storm. Look at the quality and fit and finish. Take your time. When it comes time to buy, get the one you want the way you want because you are going to have it for a long time. Even though I would like a new one, I plan on keeping the one I have for some time as it's almost a classic now due to so many upgrades in the lines, and there is nothing wrong with it. It's one of the most popular floorplans ever.

If you decide to go a different route, come back and tell us what route you took.

Have fun in this search and decision.

BTW, go on their Facebook suite, someday your picture will be there.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #104

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
Well there wprather, IMO you are headed down the right road. I looked for years for a trailer to replace my Sunnybrook. I finally found it in ORV, Wind River 250RDSW. Sure I have had issues but with the help of the the guys at the factory they are gone. Remember, people come to this forum because they are having problems. I have been to every rally, I know the guys at the factory and they know me, and my dogs. The quality, fit and finish has improved vastly since I bought mine in 2013 as a 2014 unit. They have improved the quality of the parts they use. Before you take the tour, watch the on line videos about their construction so you will have some questions to ask them, ask anything. Just recently they have bench marked the construction. That is, everyone does each process the same as trained. Ask about it and meet the QC manager. They have looked at every part and the way each one goes into the trailer. Everything is top quality, just look at the list. My trailer has never failed me on any of my trips and each year I do a 3K mile one to the Pacific Northwest towing at full legal speed, 75 at times. It tows great.

You are going to Thompson RV, great people that support the rally. I would trust them to do the PDI. But you do one also. Sit in the floorplans you like for a while and think about being in it to wait out a storm. Look at the quality and fit and finish. Take your time. When it comes time to buy, get the one you want the way you want because you are going to have it for a long time. Even though I would like a new one, I plan on keeping the one I have for some time as it's almost a classic now due to so many upgrades in the lines, and there is nothing wrong with it. It's one of the most popular floorplans ever.

If you decide to go a different route, come back and tell us what route you took.

Have fun in this search and decision.

BTW, go on their Facebook suite, someday your picture will be there.

Thanks VERY much! It's great to hear comments like this! I have already watched EVERY video on their website, multiple times actually, and EVERY video on youtube that I can find about an ORV! My wife thinks I'm crazy I just got off the phone with Shannon at ORV to schedule my visit and I even called and talked to the Service Mgr about how I would deal with Service if I bought from an out of town dealer. He was great. I clearly "feel" the difference in the people and the way they talk to me on the phone. I know they actually care! I will be calling Pendleton RV tomorrow to schedule my visit to them.

I'm a retired engineer and love working on stuff myself. The first thing I did with my current trailer was spend days taking it apart to understand where every wire and pipe, etc, went and what ever little part did so I would be able to fix it if anything ever went wrong. I actually enjoy learning about this stuff. Again, the wife just roles her eyes :(

Thanks again, hoping my confidence continues to grow. Most of the threads here have been positive, especially compared to my Rockwood owners forum, but this one thread really gave me a pause.
wprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #105

I have a 2006 Nash. I love this trailer. I do all repairs and have also made a lot of changes, improvements. I had three requirements that this trailer met. No slides. A large full trailer width bathroom. A permanent bed that didn’t need to be converted every day. I could afford anything I want but I prefer to keep it simple and easy when traveling. I don’t want to tow or drive a unit that resembles my house. I want experiences, with my grandkids now, that are similar to my camping trips with my dad and mom and two brothers and two sisters when we had three tents.
I do have a sat dish though so I can’t claim to be 100% Daniel Boone.
I think your goal should be to get the best unit you can and then be prepared to repair and improve it as needed. I enjoy working on my trailer and always do projects while in storage or on the road.
Good luck with your search and I believe you are on the right path with Northwoods products.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:20 PM   #106

When you use the acronym OVR, what does it mean?
Terry Dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #107

What about BKS, what does that acronym stand for?
Terry Dengle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:33 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dengle View Post
When you use the acronym OVR, what does it mean?
https://outdoorsrvmfg.com/
Old 08-20-2019, 03:13 PM   #109

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Dengle View Post
What about BKS, what does that acronym stand for?
Bunk House Slide
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #110

ORV Quality

We purchased a 2014 280RLS Wind River in Dec 2016. I searched two years for a quality TT and ORV products were the best I could find at the time. The new ORV products were very high priced and we could not see paying 50 or 60 thousand for a recreation vehicle. So we started looking at used units and found the one we own today. Paid half the price on a slightly used unit that had been stored in a pole building due to the owner's health. In all honesty, we are very pleased with how the ORV products were made back in 2013 and 2014. Very high quality at that time. As RV brands get popular, the production schedules increase and quality seems to become second place to the number of units being requested.

Apache RV in Poulsbo, WA is our go to for any service for this unit and we have been very pleased with them. We are currently having to take the unit in for a blackwater replacement valve that won't slide back in and were told they only needed the unit for 2 or 3 days to get us back on the road in October.

I have come to realize that purchasing new RV's is probably not the way to purchase an RV anymore. Easier just buying an RV with very little use and enjoying life. My 2014 unit has the same upholstery they used in the 2016 units. We added RV Armor to the roof so illuminated any leak issues in the future. We plan on keeping this RV for a long time so upkeep needs to be a top priority for us. We love the floor plan and the amount of storage and comfort our TT affords us. So sorry your dealing with issues with your new RV and hope your able to get them fixed to your standard. If you do choose to sell and trade up, good luck. Most other RV brands are built even worse, but everyone has to make their own choices. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Will watch for more of your posts.
JKForis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:23 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMonk View Post
Wow, so many posts from members who have less that 30 posts, many with only a few, during the last year condemning ORV? Maybe these are corporations infiltrating our peaceful boards? This is getting out of hand. What thread he commanded such attention?
Notable perspective. On the flip-side of your view, there could be ORV "representatives" posting bullsheeiooot about how grand their purchase was and how solid and reliable their trailer is when theses posters just have a vested interest in the success of the company.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:42 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Notable perspective. On the flip-side of your view, there could be ORV "representatives" posting bullsheeiooot about how grand their purchase was and how solid and reliable their trailer is when theses posters just have a vested interest in the success of the company.
VERY good point. However, I've discovered that those singing the praises of ORV quality are clearly bias as either indicated by "ORV owners club" in their signature or have a long history of ORV ownership.

I have evaluated my situation independently and just by coincidence, there's an ORV decal slapped on my trailer. I'll give credit where credit is due but the truth is ORVs are no different than any other crappy TT being cranked out by the industry right now. There is nothing that I've seen that sets them a part in quality so why pay more and why pick ORV over another. That's the lesson I've learned.
Geargut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality