Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
One thing to remember is that ORV was founded by Ron Nash but the group of people running ORV were brought over from Fleetwood. I remember when ORV started and the Fleetwood people were so happy to have jobs it almost seemed like there was a competition between the AF and ORV plants as to who was making the better product. Just like history has proven itself over and over again, when the founders pass away or step aside things change and in most cases not for the better. Les Schwab being a prime example, the employees don't even greet you at your vehicle anymore. I also see employees with facial hair and no more free beef. Schwab has to be turning over in his grave. Bottom line is quality does not stay consistent forever. What I see needs to happen is another Ron Nash needs to start a company and build a better product than what the competition is offering. Just like Ron Nash did with Nash and Fox. I am happy to stay with my 2014 model until the next antpenwer builds a better RV. That is if that person can find employees that are willing to work as well as work with their hands. Heck maybe robots will start taking over in the RV business just like the automobile industry.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #30

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
One thing to remember is that ORV was founded by Ron Nash but the group of people running ORV were brought over from Fleetwood. I remember when ORV started and the Fleetwood people were so happy to have jobs it almost seemed like there was a competition between the AF and ORV plants as to who was making the better product. Just like history has proven itself over and over again, when the founders pass away or step aside things change and in most cases not for the better. Les Schwab being a prime example, the employees don't even greet you at your vehicle anymore. I also see employees with facial hair and no more free beef. Schwab has to be turning over in his grave. Bottom line is quality does not stay consistent forever. What I see needs to happen is another Ron Nash needs to start a company and build a better product than what the competition is offering. Just like Ron Nash did with Nash and Fox. I am happy to stay with my 2014 model until the next antpenwer builds a better RV. That is if that person can find employees that are willing to work as well as work with their hands. Heck maybe robots will start taking over in the RV business just like the automobile industry.
The competitive nature between the two plants was still there in 2015 when I visited both. At that time I was an AF owner. Bringing up anything ORV during the AF tour was met with contention, to the point where all questions comparing the two were banned.

I bought my ORV in 2017 and so far am satisified with the overall quality, yes I have had some issues but nothing I can't handle myself.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #31

My 2013 Fox Mountain was built better than my 2019 ORV 25 RDS. Both the ORV and our FM feel very solid which is good. It just got a little old not having more closet space and the toilet room was too cramped. Plus a few other floor plan issues. Things we didn't think about since we didn't know what we didn't know at the time. If those issues had not been there we'd still be in it. After 6 years those issues were too much.
Ironically before we got our ORV we debated many times about leaving our perfect good FM and taking a chance on a new trailer. I've read my share of posts about people having issues and that concerned me. Would we become the people in the problem posts or should we keep putting up with a floorplan that just wasn't working after 6 years?
Unfortunately we made the jump and became those people that post issues. Luck of the draw probably as the 25rds before or after ours was made could've been problem free.
Hopefully the list of problems is finished and we can not have to deal with anymore problems.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:03 AM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmoore View Post
It appears the same people that have had issues alway post on these questions about quality of the ORV. There will always be some that get stuck with a problem unit but the VAST majority of the people with a little or small issues don't feel the need to post because they are happy. Our unit was built in 2019 (2020 model) and the issues we have had are all minor and fixed by myself. NO trailer is perfect but after 33 years of RVing and owned every type of RV I am very satisfied with our well built and comfortable, trailer. These trailers are still made by people and not robots so do not compare them to your latest truck or car because you will only be disappointed.
Kevin, I could not have said it better. Thank you for that. This conversation group tends to lean overwhelmingly towards a 'bitcher's jamboree' as opposed to those who are happy with their ORV unit. I don't say that negatively, but this forum and it's counterpart on FB are a source for technical help thus the groups lean towards those who have a problem and can't fix it themselves. It may be because people have legitimate serious deficiencies or simply that they are not mechanical in their RV abilities. Today, it is so much easier to bitch about something, than offer accolades.
Like you folks, we have been RV'ing for 30-plus years and are on our second ORV. There's a reason for that, as while both units have had minor (to me) issues pop up, I am happy with their product. I won't be the first to say they are far from perfect and sometimes even defy explanation on why quality craftsmanship is missing in places. My take on that is that I'm told apparently ORV pays their factory staff on the number of units they move through the factory in a given day. IF that is true, it promotes quick movement of a unit through their construction station, with far less due diligence to quality, counter-productive to quality and focused on finishing the trailer so it is ready to move to the next station.

Our newest ORV, a 2021 25RDS, contrary to what many conveniently perceive as a lack of factory quality for a variety of reasons, has been near perfect. Yes, I have seen many places where the quality could be better but the increased price of said unit would also put them out of reach for many. Many on here have trodden all over ORV for this or that, but while I had one reasonably easy 110v electrical issue to resolve (even though it is on warrantee), I haven't found anything that needs a return visit to the dealership. I get the impression too many are anxious to blame someone when something doesn't go right. Yes, I know, I know, there are those who have legitimate quarrels with serious imperfections, like axles, leakage etc. They are built by people and the units take a sxxt-kicking over thousands of kilometres on the roads we pull them over. I will go on the count as a happy 2021 ORV owner. That said, something could go wrong next spring when the RV comes out of hibernation, but after a year of using it extensively, I am proud to show and tell people about my wife's RV. I'm just happy that she lets me stay in it at night, instead of under it, with the dog! (Just kidding).
Cheers
Glen
Okotoks Alberta
altaclipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:08 PM   #33

This thread was started as a QC issues thread not a how do you like you ORV thread.

If it had been a thread with a general question as to how do you like your ORV or I love my ORV and went off the rails with bad posts then yeah I could see those that have had few or zero issues getting perturbed.

To those that haven't had to take their ORV back to the dealer or La Grande or both lucky on you. Please don't chastise those of us that have had more than the normal minor problems.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:04 PM   #34

Well my 22 orv 28dbs has had some more issues since
I bought it in oct. We are fulltime. The stove egniter
And oven knobs have stripped out. Just
Cheap plastic.
The valances have fallen off the walls.
Mfg defect ...the factory missed the anchor screw points
And just screwed into the luan.
Today the hot water heater pressure releif
Valve blew. Keeps leaking so now no hot water.
The valances were orvs fault. The appliances
I blame on orv for putting out to the cheapest
Bidder. My suburban elite series stove oven
Is really a poj .Im looking to replace it asap.
Any reccomendations??
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #35

We have a Furrion stove. I have used it on only one short trip, but it feels more substantial than the stove in my recent ORV.

I Han no problems with the stove in the ORV.
Old 12-13-2021, 07:38 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
We have a Furrion stove. I have used it on only one short trip, but it feels more substantial than the stove in my recent ORV.

I Han no problems with the stove in the ORV.
Thanks..we liked the oven at first but now 2 months later we are discovering how cheap its
Made. The rack doesnt fit well and flexes. Making
It a bit dangerous . The burners were loose and wobbling ..screws were never tightened. Egniter
Wires are just exposed . And the knobs are soft
Plastic ..they will not last long.two have stripped
Out already. The oven door doesnt close fully.
I havnt quite figured out why.my guess is just
poor design. Looking online we dont see much
Available.. fortunatly the stove top still works
If we light it manually..so we can still eat.
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 06:27 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have posted some issues in separate threads but I’ll post here since this thread speaks specifically of Quality issues.
Bought a 2019 24RLS (delivered to dealer in Nov. 2019) in June of 2020.

Used it a couple times the first summer then wife and I lived in it from late Sept. 2020 until March of 2021 while moving from CA to TX.

These issues are not particularly in order.

1. Both entry door windows leaked in heavy rain, also allowed strong drafts in cold temps. I recaulked around windows and found the door insulation strips were cut short allowing outside air to blow in, I repaired

2. I noticed several of the upholstery snaps in dinette area had failed on our first use.

3. Toilet foot pedal broke in Nov. 2020 (small tab inside pedal appeared to be manufactured poorly) and did not shut off water causing toilet to overflow, thankfully it was clean water. Still not working, I just manually move tabs to flush now.

4. Both Maxx fans had to have circuit boards replaced as they would turn on by themselves. Once during snow storm at 3am , fun fun. Dealer sent me parts to replace under warranty.

5. Water heater caught fire due to power wire not installed correctly. Thankfully we caught it when it happened. ORV paid for repair done by mobile RV repair service since we were on the road.

6. Water line from fresh tank to pump froze during temps in low teens. My tank did not freeze. I opened under belly in warmer temps and found the line from fresh tank is not insulated at all. Makes it kind of pointless to have the tank pad heater if the line from it to pump isn’t insulated.

7. One propane line that attaches to tank leaked. Rubber cracked causing leak.Dealer sent me new line.

8. Shower drain pipe was not threaded correctly and became unattached causing water to leak into underbelly.

9. Mattress Spring end poked through side of mattress giving me a nasty slice on my thigh while getting out of bed.

10. In all the time we’ve owned the trailer we’ve never driven in rain or snow and yet the frame has visible rust all over. Yes it’s been in rain and snow but never while rolling. Just seems excessive for a trailer meant to be 4 Season.

11. Majority of drawers in kitchen don’t stay closed while traveling due to misaligned fasteners. I fixed them myself.

12. Main entry door screws fell out of lock so door would not close. Thankfully I found them on ground and replaced them with some blue thread lock applied.

Every time I’ve opened up anything I’ve found all sorts of debris, saw dust everywhere, discarded screws and other assorted metal fasteners.

We owned a very inexpensive trailer for 6 yrs prior to our ORV and amazingly never had a single issue. I will say in very cold or hot temps the cheap trailer’s lack of insulation was an issue and has been a non issue in the Timber Ridge.

I live nowhere near the dealership I purchased from (Thompson’s) but they have been very helpful and have taken care of us. ORV also took care of us with the water heater issue.

Anyone thinking of RV ownership should do their research prior to purchase and realize that if your not semi handy it might not be the right purchase.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 12:46 PM   #38

I think you have to be semi handy to own any RV and be happy with it. I'm not making excuses for ORV QC issues related to rushing on the manufacturing line, but this is prevalent on all units to varying degrees......for eg; https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/new-...-559069-2.html .....If I owned that gulfstream, I'd sell it or trade it in just like the OP did as there is no fixing those problems.

Items like toilets, fans, matresses, other appliances, even doors and hardware are all sourced out on all RV's and aren't really ORV issues. Plumbing lines not properly joined; yes, that's on them.

Dave
Old 12-17-2021, 11:22 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
@Dave - yes you are correct and I should add that I’m not unhappy with my purchase, I really like the trailer. Wife and I spent (5) yrs looking at trailers and comparing and decided this was what we wanted. I also should have added I don’t fault ORV for many of the issues we’ve had with items supplied by outside companies. I am far more confident in the trailer itself then the outside parts used in it.

I still believe ORV is near the top compared to other brands.
CNPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:01 AM   #40

I didn't think this was a bitcher jamboree, more of a "look Out list" of issues. I've read on forums about owners discovering a broken brake wire, screws broken on foldout steps, leaks, bad suspension bolts. Several things that folks "bitched" about I checked my rig for.
Merry Christmas. Watch for slow seeping leak from behind your shower!
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 07:33 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNPH View Post
I live nowhere near the dealership I purchased from (Thompson’s) but they have been very helpful and have taken care of us. ORV also took care of us with the water heater issue.
My decision to purchase our travel trailer from Thompson RV was largely based on positive comments I read about their after-sale customer service.

With that said, I've considered arranging for an independent PDI by a certified RV technician. If the timing works out as hoped, we'll spend a couple of nights locally after delivery and then continue on a 30-ish day trip through MT, WY, ID and UT. This will be our first RV and I'd really like to embark on our trip with the peace of mind that as many potential issues as possible are resolved or identified.

I likely wouldn't even consider an independent inspection if 1) we lived closer to the dealership, 2) this wasn't our first RV, or 3) we weren't directly embarking on a long-ish trip.

- Ken
Old 12-29-2021, 08:35 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dump it back in a dealers yard, and get a new one or your money back, I have a friend that bought a 2014 Keystone passport that fell apart the 1st trip out, dealer refused to warranty anything, 2 weeks after delivery! his bank finally told them to replace the trailer, or they would pull their money, he had a new unit in a couple days, but the problems have continued, however the dealer is doing warranty were it can.
My 2003 Wilderness has given me very few problems.

Tags
quality