Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 07:06 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVFlyAngler View Post
... With that said, I've considered arranging for an independent PDI by a certified RV technician. If the timing works out as hoped, we'll spend a couple of nights locally after delivery and then continue on a 30-ish day trip through MT, WY, ID and UT. This will be our first RV and I'd really like to embark on our trip with the peace of mind that as many potential issues as possible are resolved or identified ...
I spoke with our sales representative from Thompson RV late last week and he mentioned one of their customers did in fact have an independent, professional inspection performed prior to delivery. The inspection turned up only one issue: it was suggested that some caulking be added to one window.

I know this thread's kinda old now but I thought it was worth posting.

- Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 02:54 PM   #44

Can Thompson RV do a Sealtech leak test? Just a thought. Was helpful picking up some potential leaks around the front of my cap, the outside speakers and one window.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpaul View Post
Can Thompson RV do a Sealtech leak test? Just a thought. Was helpful picking up some potential leaks around the front of my cap, the outside speakers and one window.
That's a good question. I'm making a note to ask the next time I speak with them. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2022, 11:58 AM   #46

Triple E Owners Club
Just finished an 8 week 5K mile trip to the SE. Many, many days of rain. 3 days of snow. A lot of wind. Quite a bit of cold weather. Bedroom window leaked. The frame and tongue are starting to rust. Lift bar on the other bedroom window pulled off in my hand while trying to open it. Very cold inside compared to our former Bigfoot and Wanderlodge. I would hate to be using it in constant winter conditions. Other than that I would still consider the quality to be better than anything coming out of Elkhart. Still, the designers should be made to use it for a least 3 months before they release it to the public. If they did, this model would be scrapped. Terrible interior design.
lexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:12 PM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton View Post
Just finished an 8 week 5K mile trip to the SE. Many, many days of rain. 3 days of snow. A lot of wind. Quite a bit of cold weather. Bedroom window leaked. The frame and tongue are starting to rust. Lift bar on the other bedroom window pulled off in my hand while trying to open it. Very cold inside compared to our former Bigfoot and Wanderlodge. I would hate to be using it in constant winter conditions. Other than that I would still consider the quality to be better than anything coming out of Elkhart. Still, the designers should be made to use it for a least 3 months before they release it to the public. If they did, this model would be scrapped. Terrible interior design.
Which model do you have?
lanztek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #48

Quote:
You have a 24RLS, correct? what exactly do you not like about the interior design? layout? what in particular - I'm interested as the 25RDS is similar in some aspects.

Thx

Dave
Old 03-30-2022, 01:52 PM   #49

The 24RLS was my choice but the wife wanted the 25RDS. We've always had RL types and the RDS is similar. Not sure what layout issues you missed before buying. From the entertainment center forward many ORV's are the same.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #50

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The 24RLS was my choice but the wife wanted the 25RDS. We've always had RL types and the RDS is similar. Not sure what layout issues you missed before buying. From the entertainment center forward many ORV's are the same.
I loved the RLS layout when we first looked at it...wife liked the RDS, and I won. Total regret after the first couple times of camping. The chairs are worthless unless you pull them way out, and in fact, so far out that it blocks the door. That and they are heavy and awkward to move. Once moving mine, one of the feet put a gouge in my floor.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #51

The RLS we looked at the recliners both had gouges on the upper backrest from digging into a sharp edge on the window. Both items that would've needed fixed. We almost never like RV furniture and going in figure on replacing them anyways. The recliners that ORV and most others use are big bulky PO? IMO. We replaced the sofa in our RDS with 2 wall hugger recliners. Yeah we have to spin one to watch TV but we have a rug down that runs from the door to the slide carpet so the recliner never touches the linoleum.
The other couple items that were problematic was the counter under the TV. It's too narrow and we couldn't set our Dish receiver there or a Bray player.
The deeper cabinets by the TV are a plus too.
We also like the larger pantry and more counter pace in the RDS.
I liked the 28'8" length and the front viewing for the TV on the RLS.
We did a 30 day trip back in 2019 and found it to be great for longer stays. I could see us doing 2-3 month trips without an issue as far as livability goes.
It's all a trade off at some point. I'd love to tow a 25' TT but camp in a 35' TT. LOL.

FWIW our dinette window leaked and the pull bar on the small window to the left of the stove pulled off last season. It's a tiny wonky window that you can barely pull sideways without it jambing up and being crooked. I shoved it back on and now just go real easy with it. Probably needs some silicone in the slot to help hold it.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:03 AM   #52

Triple E Owners Club
24RLS

To answer your question, it is a 2019 24RLS. As stated by another post, after camping in it a couple of times you are completely frustrated by it. The recliners are heavy and will scratch the floor when moving them into position. When traveling, you have to move them back and either turn the backs toward the windows, or turn the backs toward themselves. Either way, we have torn the upper corner of one of them, like someone else stated in an earlier post. They also will not stay in the reclined position like a normal recliner. When in use they partially block the door as well as totally blocking the drawer under the dinette. In the bathroom between the shower and the hallway wall there is a 2" space about 24" deep. Too narrow and deep to get in to clean the glass or the floor. Total wasted space. Also, in the bathroom the lighting is so bad that you cannot see to shave or do much else. The bedroom is the worst. You have to walk in and reach about 4-5 feet toward the street side to turn on the light. You have to negotiate the door all the while. The door swings the wrong way. Actually it should be a pocket door. To reach the electrical outlets over the nightstands, you have crawl up onto the bed due to the extreme depth of the nightstands. You have to be extremely careful getting in and out of the bed so as to not crack your head on either of the wardrobes over the nightstands. While you are being extra careful about this you will crack your head on the cabinet over the bed. God forbid you and the wife want to get a little frisky. You are sure crack your head on something. Another huge bit of contention is the carpet under the recliners and the dinette. Absolutely no reason for the carpet. This is supposed to be a trailer designed for off road use. ORV's reason for the extra entrance door in the bedroom is because of off road use. So why install carpet in places that will get filthy dirty? Again I realize that this is design issues and not quality issues. I have a whole list of these as well, most of which are detailed in an earlier post. I have a few more after this trip, but will not go into that now. While some of the design issues should have been noted while considering the trailer, most of them you do not realize until you have used it a few times. A lot of you will excuse all of this as well as the quality issues as a symptom of the RV industry. There is no excuse for any of this. It is just a poorly designed trailer. It is because we continue to make excuses for it that the manufacturers keep making crap. Detroit had the same attitude for decades until Toyota came along and started selling cars that would go 300K miles without much trouble. People started demanding the same quality from Detroit. They forced the industry to change. The RV industry will not change if we keep making excuses for it.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:11 AM   #53

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
To answer your question, it is a 2019 24RLS. As stated by another post, after camping in it a couple of times you are completely frustrated by it. The recliners are heavy and will scratch the floor when moving them into position. When traveling, you have to move them back and either turn the backs toward the windows, or turn the backs toward themselves. Either way, we have torn the upper corner of one of them, like someone else stated in an earlier post. They also will not stay in the reclined position like a normal recliner. When in use they partially block the door as well as totally blocking the drawer under the dinette. In the bathroom between the shower and the hallway wall there is a 2" space about 24" deep. Too narrow and deep to get in to clean the glass or the floor. Total wasted space. Also, in the bathroom the lighting is so bad that you cannot see to shave or do much else. The bedroom is the worst. You have to walk in and reach about 4-5 feet toward the street side to turn on the light. You have to negotiate the door all the while. The door swings the wrong way. Actually it should be a pocket door. To reach the electrical outlets over the nightstands, you have crawl up onto the bed due to the extreme depth of the nightstands. You have to be extremely careful getting in and out of the bed so as to not crack your head on either of the wardrobes over the nightstands. While you are being extra careful about this you will crack your head on the cabinet over the bed. God forbid you and the wife want to get a little frisky. You are sure crack your head on something. Another huge bit of contention is the carpet under the recliners and the dinette. Absolutely no reason for the carpet. This is supposed to be a trailer designed for off road use. ORV's reason for the extra entrance door in the bedroom is because of off road use. So why install carpet in places that will get filthy dirty? Again I realize that this is design issues and not quality issues. I have a whole list of these as well, most of which are detailed in an earlier post. I have a few more after this trip, but will not go into that now. While some of the design issues should have been noted while considering the trailer, most of them you do not realize until you have used it a few times. A lot of you will excuse all of this as well as the quality issues as a symptom of the RV industry. There is no excuse for any of this. It is just a poorly designed trailer. It is because we continue to make excuses for it that the manufacturers keep making crap. Detroit had the same attitude for decades until Toyota came along and started selling cars that would go 300K miles without much trouble. People started demanding the same quality from Detroit. They forced the industry to change. The RV industry will not change if we keep making excuses for it.
I hear you on the recliners and the bed. We had ours for 7 years and hated both. That's why we went with the 280KVS that has the east-west bed in a slide and no recliners to have to move around or be in the way
Old 03-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #54

Interesting;

I can see the recliners being an issue which is why I was looking at the 25RDS rather than the 24RLS. The bed stuff doesn't bother me; it's the same setup as my 21RBS and it's been fine - maybe coming from a truck camper, I have lower expectations but the bed is far easier to use and make than I've been used to in the TC so I'm happy with that aspect.

Dave
Old 03-31-2022, 10:23 AM   #55

The light switch in the bedroom is flat out dumb. It could've easily been put closer to the corner of the wall.
You must have a different shower enclosure than we do because we have about 6" between the glass and wall. The side by the counter we only have about 2-3" so we stuff the shower rug in there. Between the glass shower wall and that hall wall we put a broom and small vacuum in there. I added a couple towel hooks too. Agree it is tough to try and keep it clean in the tight spot.
You must have fewer lights in the bathroom as well because we have plenty. I also added a lighted mirror for the wife in our RDS.

A pocket door into the bedroom would be impossible.

Just curious if you even walked through your TT before buying. Most of those complaints would've been noticed. I know ORV's were hard to view as most lots had diddle and the only way to buy was to order without viewing.
Old 04-01-2022, 09:32 AM   #56

Triple E Owners Club
walk through

Yes, I walked through it before purchasing. It was used, privately owned. Most of these issues you don't discover until you actually use it. I did notice that light switch in the bedroom was in a bad location. The bathroom shower thing I also noticed, but not a deal breaker. Just chalked it up to idiot designers. The bedroom issues and the recliner issues are not discovered until you use it.

Just to be clear, we have owned 11 rigs over 46 years. All but the Wanderlodge and the Bigfoot came out of Elkhart. The ORV is better than all of the Elkhart coaches. Still disappointing. They could do so much better than this.

Tags
quality