Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 12:01 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj462 View Post
Those are our options?
Pay a lot of money for a trailer and just live with the fact that a lot of it is JUNK, or get a tent?

C'mon. I think everyone deserves a lot better.
No other industry is like this.
r
It won't change unless folks stop buying RVs. As long as the industry can't keep up with demand, there's no incentive for them to change. And, clearly, the vast majority of RV owners are willing to put up with quality issues.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
It won't change unless folks stop buying RVs. As long as the industry can't keep up with demand, there's no incentive for them to change. And, clearly, the vast majority of RV owners are willing to put up with quality issues.
In fairness Jim; I think people have no choice but to "put up with quality issues"......again, what are the options? If you want to camp and don't have $250,000 to spend on an RV, then you deal with whatever issues come up .....it's not as though people that have an issue don't complain or aren't vocal about it.

Dave
Old 08-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
In fairness Jim; I think people have no choice but to "put up with quality issues"......again, what are the options? If you want to camp and don't have $250,000 to spend on an RV, then you deal with whatever issues come up .....it's not as though people that have an issue don't complain or aren't vocal about it.

Dave
$250k won't get you the quality anymore than $80k. I've had friends with Class A that came in at the $750k or more price point and still had to fight to get repairs when the staples in the roof started coming up.

In another one, they have had major electrical problems to the point that they had no aircon and used flashlights inside at night. All worked if the engine was running, but shut off the engine and in a short time the lights went out and the steps retracked.

I've got some Canadian friends fighting with Grand Design over cracked frame, and failed slides.
Alk three if these stories are in RVs much more expensive than my Titanium fiver.

I have no answer but make certain to let prospective RVers know this stuff before they get the slick salesperson dazzling them.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:14 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmikDebris View Post
$250k won't get you the quality anymore than $80k. I've had friends with Class A that came in at the $750k or more price point and still had to fight to get repairs when the staples in the roof started coming up.

In another one, they have had major electrical problems to the point that they had no aircon and used flashlights inside at night. All worked if the engine was running, but shut off the engine and in a short time the lights went out and the steps retracked.

I've got some Canadian friends fighting with Grand Design over cracked frame, and failed slides.
Alk three if these stories are in RVs much more expensive than my Titanium fiver.

I have no answer but make certain to let prospective RVers know this stuff before they get the slick salesperson dazzling them.
Yeah, I was thinking more expedition vehicles like Earthroamer type stuff
https://earthroamer.com/

Dave
Old 08-04-2022, 06:30 PM   #89

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Going to chime in with my 2 cents worth. There were a lot of high end RV manufacturers that went belly up in the 2008 downturn, as only the cheap stuff was selling. Go to an RV show and watch the people for a while, Mostly all RV consumers shop based on price and bling, Maybe 1 in 10 can recognize any sort of quality. If you want stuff not to break down, don't but the stuff. My 2006 Truck camper has no slides, no fancy fridge, no TV, no microwave, a simple sink and a tiny wet bath & a manual fridge. We purchased a larger more luxurious unit, with all the stuff that the TC doesn't and are prepared for stuff to break or need more maintenance. How many people would pay extra $$$ for all the top end equipment? Ever seen the price for an earth roamer? IMHO the best bang for the buck would be for RV manufactures to pay a good hourly wage, with some form of quality control bonus, instead of the piece work model they use now. This would add some cost, but they would probably recover it in reduced warranty expense. RV's are not built on automobile model, but rather on the home model. you need to mow your lawn, clean your gutters, replace your roof, ....
Old 08-06-2022, 05:46 PM   #90

Given the rate at which Black Series are selling maybe ORV should take a hint and produce a premier line of select models?
Old 08-06-2022, 09:27 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
Given the rate at which Black Series are selling maybe ORV should take a hint and produce a premier line of select models?
I've walked through a couple Black Series and IMO there's no there there. The best part is the frame and suspension. Everything else is just another version of something else thats done half way.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:25 AM   #92

Black's chassis is head and shoulders above anything else out there and the design is far superior to ORV's tired old school approach which is epitomized by mediocre cabinetry (at best), dark gloomy interior, and crap windows. For the money ORV delivers good value but that's a low bar as we know. I'm satisfied with mine but I think ORV could further separate themselves from the pack with an injection of better design and materials. The market is clearly there for the requisite price point.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:29 PM   #93

Quote:
Black's chassis is head and shoulders above anything else out there and the design is far superior to ORV's tired old school approach which is epitomized by mediocre cabinetry (at best), dark gloomy interior, and crap windows. For the money ORV delivers good value but that's a low bar as we know. I'm satisfied with mine but I think ORV could further separate themselves from the pack with an injection of better design and materials. The market is clearly there for the requisite price point.
I looked at both before I went with ORV. I want to say that someone said that the Black Series had a lot of their steel and other components made in China. (sorry, can't quote the source.) Also, I think 24 feet or so is their largest unit. I also looked at Kimberly Kamper and the Bruder. Both exorbitantly expensive, but frankly, if I had it to do over....
r
robj462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #94

I think everything in a Black is chinese which is the biggest deterrent to me buying one. Unfortunately it's a long jump up to a Kimberley and even further to a Bruder so we're gunna 'love' our ORV for a while. It's pretty comfy, it will handle some rough roads, it's reasonably reliable, AND it's paid for!
Old 08-09-2022, 12:15 AM   #95

That last sentence …

Quote:
I think everything in a Black is chinese which is the biggest deterrent to me buying one. Unfortunately it's a long jump up to a Kimberley and even further to a Bruder so we're gunna 'love' our ORV for a while. It's pretty comfy, it will handle some rough roads, it's reasonably reliable, AND it's paid for!
…is the biggest selling point of all;-)
Good luck and safe travels out there…
robj462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHinman View Post
Even my $130k German luxury sedan has problems that they could but won’t fix. They say “we know, and we don’t care”.

Bought a $175k surf boat in Nov. Fuel gauge doesn't work, outdrive position indicator doesn't work. holding tank level doesn't work, etc, etc.

The good news is that the really important **** works well. Sometimes you just have to roll with it.
DBPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:45 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Your slides may have to be repaired ....
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0006468.pdf

My 2022 24RKS HAD THIS PROBLEM. I had worked the slide maybe a half dozen times before our first camping trip. The first night at camp all went well. Moved to a new spot the next day. It was down a gravel forest service road about 10/12 miles. Tried to put the slide out and it was a no go. The slide moved about an inch and then the rear most end just STOPPED. The other side kept mo ing out and cocked the slide and stopped. I could move it back in but it was stuck. I tried to push and even tried more and less pressure on the stabilizer jacks but that back side would not move.

Now I know why. I hate it when a company takes over and changes things without knowing what the hell they are even doing. MAKE THINGS CHEEPER AND NOT BETTER.

Thompsons did the work on the slide. Whole new mechanism was installed. I hope that fixes it for good. If the slide gets stuck in the TV is blocked and some cabinets too. The couch can't fold out to a bed and then you are not supposed to use the slide when it is in(dinette or bed). What if it was stuck out? I'm not sure we could have gotten it back in. I sure hope it is fixed now. Of course by the time we find out it will be out of warranty most likely. Just my luck.

John
Jeepster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:54 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster360 View Post

My 2022 24RKS HAD THIS PROBLEM. I had worked the slide maybe a half dozen times before our first camping trip. The first night at camp all went well. Moved to a new spot the next day. It was down a gravel forest service road about 10/12 miles. Tried to put the slide out and it was a no go. The slide moved about an inch and then the rear most end just STOPPED. The other side kept mo ing out and cocked the slide and stopped. I could move it back in but it was stuck. I tried to push and even tried more and less pressure on the stabilizer jacks but that back side would not move.

Now I know why. I hate it when a company takes over and changes things without knowing what the hell they are even doing. MAKE THINGS CHEEPER AND NOT BETTER.

Thompsons did the work on the slide. Whole new mechanism was installed. I hope that fixes it for good. If the slide gets stuck in the TV is blocked and some cabinets too. The couch can't fold out to a bed and then you are not supposed to use the slide when it is in(dinette or bed). What if it was stuck out? I'm not sure we could have gotten it back in. I sure hope it is fixed now. Of course by the time we find out it will be out of warranty most likely. Just my luck.

John
Well John our 2022 24RKS slide did manage to quit working while in the out position. I had to raise the slide using a bottle jack and stacking pieces of 2x6's. I only had to raise the slide less than 1/4" which was enough to keep the slide from binding when we pulled the slide in. Luckly we were on our way from Arizona, so we just made a detour to Pendelton.
Thompsons did the work on ours, they were fabulous. Thompsons also fixed a few other minor issues while they had the trailer.
It seems to be working fine now.
bsmall2800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality