Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 05:16 PM   #1

Question ORV Quality issues

I have a 2021 26KVS that was picked up in April. Since I picked it up I have had the oven fail, stove top fail, stove igniters fail, LED on oven fail, Air Excel fan in bedroom fail, refer fail, awing leak, rear window seal leak filling the window with water between the panes front cap crack and tv strap mounts pull out of the wall. Is this typical of an ORV product?
Jwmoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uh, no. None of those issues with our 2016 GP.....maybe rushed production and lack of quality labor are the main issues.

Sorry to hear about all of those things happening....I guess you need to use the one year warranty and have it all repaired.

I would talk to your dealer and ORV about this.

Good luck.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:46 PM   #3

Sometimes but rarely that many items.
My 2019 25RDS had the following
Refer fail
Slide window leak
Slide floor creaking badly
Interior slide facias crooked
Staple under flooring sticking up
Bulge in roof ply.
Lower small window on the rear big window opens or doesn't open.
Dinette drawer fell off glides.
Dip in gutter over the slide fills with water when it rains and dumps water badly on the slide.
Several outlets crooked or pulled out of the wall.
My failed refer isn't ORV's fault but everything else is.
Some items ORV fixed. Some I fixed. Some still unfixed.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #4

I hope your dealer takes care of you.

I had issues with my ORV. The dealer was willing to help, but ORV seemed unresponsive. I traded it off after just under a year.

One of the strangest things is that it came with two slightly different tire sizes.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Bought my 2021 20bd in July. First trip 3 weeks ago.... following known issues so far:
1) bad seal on rear sliding window rendering the window nearly inoperable.
2) water pump was not attached to the floor and was sliding around freely pulling on the lines.
3) generator stopped working at 12 hours....turned out to be a bad regulator, but not fixed.
4) fresh water heater switch was always lit....replaced to find out it was wired backwards....not sure of issues yet.
5) drawers that fly open on the road and are messed up.... hopefully dealer fixes.
6) Bubbles on roof...not sure if this is normal?
7) blind that snaps up so hard it cracked the brackets
8) other trivial stuff like loose or missing screws and debris left under every single cabinet....no shop vacs in the shop??

Now the dealer has stalled me 6 weeks to fix stuff....quick to take money....slow to help.

Hoping the major stuff doesn't break after the warranty is up.
Trickam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would say that your problems are 90% manufacturer caused and 10% ORV.
ORV because they chose the crappy products that all of us ORV owners deal with. 90% manufacturer because they supply the builders with crap.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The RV appliance manufacturers are suffering from the same labor issues as ORV. Parts shortages are out of control.

Find a kid over 18 walking down the street and offer them a job for $20/hr with no experience. By the way, build it faster and ther's a bonus for u.

I was going to sell my 2016 GP and get a new one.....NOPE.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:22 AM   #8

My ORV 25RDS was made in Dec 2018 as a 2019. Well before Covid and parts shortages.
All these issues are examples of the RV industry. There's no control mechanism in place to guaranty a quality RV like there is in the auto industry.
The OP had 6 supplier issues and 4 ORV issues.
I had 1 supplier issue and 9 ORV issues.
Trikam had 2 supplier issues and 6 ORV issues.
Clearly ORV is dropping the ball on QC. In all fairness most RV manufactures do the same.
I would get out of mine and go back to a Northwood but I have too much invested in mods and it seems as though most items are fixed. Plus it's a bad time to try and deal on RV's.
It's easy for those that had zero to 1-2 small issues to feel satisfied. Others feel very disappointed.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:49 PM   #9

Oh boy, don't get me started

I wasn't sure I even wanted to add to this thread, but my list is similar to the others, and only the Norcold issues were a appliance manufacturer issue, the rest were factory fails.
But....so far the ORV folks have stepped up on many things even after the first year.
Maybe we could start a contest of who has replaced more self tapping screws. So far I've had one of them on the folding steps break off, another that held the fender skirt bracket to the frame, and another that supported the propane tank shelf. I keep an assortment of sizes in my toolbox now.
As stated prior, have had the front door strike plate installed backwards, side awnings pulling away from the wall, leak behind shower, 12v wire rubbed thru by slide out gear, replaced two LED lights under shelving due to bad switch, replaced both awning and slide out toggle switches and the resetting breaker for awning. Awning doesn't always close all the way to bracket. Sewer hose storage bumper is too snug for hose. Emergency exit window contacts crank out window next to it. Wood spacers fell out from somewhere above front storage door. Front storage compartment leaked rain, wasn't sealed.
Those are what come to mind, may be more. This is on a 2020 model.
CosmikDebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

Looked at a couple 23DBS’ on a lot today… One looked fine, the other looked like it was built on a Friday at 4pm… sloppy caulk work in the shower, warped boards under the bunk mattress’, lots of little imperfections that I wouldn’t be happy with after spending 50k on a trailer. ��
Old 10-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #11

And thats it in a nut shell. I've often posted that you can have two identical RV's sitting side by side on the dealers lot and one will need more warranty work than the other won't.

When we did our walk through I didn't see the slide out facia trim being crooked or the staple sticking up under the flooring in front of the bathroom door. We did catch the bad drawer under the dinette and Apache tried fixing it, It worked for a couple pulls afterwards then crapped out again. I had to completely tear it all apart and reframe the supports and refasten the guides.
On the facia I had to completely remove the sides and top trims down to the bare framing then make a wider infill with new Formica and reattach the trims. PITA.
I think mine was built on a Friday before a 3 day weekend.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
And thats it in a nut shell. I've often posted that you can have two identical RV's sitting side by side on the dealers lot and one will need more warranty work than the other won't.
I agree. These ORV trailers are built in a pretty basic assembly line, and errors can creep in to individual units. It is probably the same for other brands.

There is an old saying about one “oh crap” outweighing 100 “atta-boys”. The problems get far more attention than the successes.

The manufacturer and dealer response affects the customer reaction to the issues. ORV may have changed their procedures at the end of last year, and no longer talk directly with owners. That is likely to change perceptions.

Even though we had issues with our 24KRS that weighed into our decision to go back to Arctic Fox, there are things about that trailer that I will miss. It had the most comfortable mattress of any of our RVs, and that goofy-looking drawer under the refrigerator turned out to be the handiest drawer ever!
Old 10-20-2021, 10:36 AM   #13

Check out Chris & Aaron's latest YouTube video (Irene Iron Travels) documenting their recent PDI with their new 2022 22FQS ....
https://youtu.be/9C5ySxs6kgA
Old 10-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #14

I second JHinman's post particularly with regard to the fact that most satisfied owners don't post. Our 2020 had a bad ground in the slideout switch which the dealer fixed along with the dinette valence that fell off on a really rough road on our first trip. Since then my only problems have been the tank monitor and the Thetford toilet valve. I just noticed a probable floor staple popup which hasn't broken the surface so hopefully fixable. The Norcold frig shuts off while driving sometimes but usually works well. The oven is a PITA without any temperature control but don't use it anyway. We probably would if it worked well so am looking at replacing it. The cabinet drawers like to fly open on curvy or rough roads so I'm gonna make hold-fasts to end that nonsense. The tank monitor is my biggest beef. Very happy overall.

Tags
quality