Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #29

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Here is a little tip for you guys. I just opened up the air conditioning central duct unit on the ceiling. It turns out the installer used insulation board with gasket material on 3 sides to separate the outflow cool duct from the internal intake air. Well, the 4th side was tucked into a 1/8" deep channel to secure it and the rest just wedges into the sides and top of the duct work. This setup leaks a massive amount of cool air back into the intake rather than forcing it through the ducts. I used aluminum tape to seal the bottom part missing the gasket and improved my flow immensely and improved my cooling. Simple. I should get my fan mid week next week. I'll report more then.

Oh, I just tested again and this AC unit will indeed run off of the Honda 2000 generator. I believe I have the 13,500 unit. I just tested it again and it worked flawlessly. Just can't watch TV or use the microwave at the same time of course but it is great for cooling down the trailer a couple hours before bed time.
I found the same issue with mine in regards to the gaps under the interior grill. I did the same thing as to tape it up and seal all the air passage ways. I also found that the long screws that hold the A/C on to be very loose. While putting the grill back on I noticed that the grill was not sitting flat to the ceiling due to the grill making contact with a ceiling panel seam. I notched the grill to fit over the ceiling seam and now it sits flat to the ceiling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #30
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
No problem... you can see what I'm talking about if you open up the inside panel with the intake filter on it. The rigid insulation was right there. I'll take pics and/or video of the whole process.

Thanks very much..
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #31

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Thanks very much..
Everybody. Lots of good info here, many thanks!

I fired up our A/C this AM (hi and low speed) and didn't think it was obnoxiously loud. But I had nothing to compare it to. I will check my ducts, maybe tomorrow.

dagmandt, in so far as, "So, there was no re-design, it is merely an attempt at the factory to reduce costs that happened to increase the air flow while reducing noise and cost." I think that is the explanation I would offer if I, or one of my design team, had screwed up...

Bob
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #32
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
....yes I should get my "DUCTS" in a row as well.....

Ok I know that's terrible...

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
dagmandt, in so far as, "So, there was no re-design, it is merely an attempt at the factory to reduce costs that happened to increase the air flow while reducing noise and cost." I think that is the explanation I would offer if I, or one of my design team, had screwed up...

Bob
Yeah, I thought of that too but the guy seemed pretty convincing. Either way, I'll report on the findings. I have a DB meter and video camera... I plan to get some good data that is measurable so people can make a decision on whether to do it.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah, I thought of that too but the guy seemed pretty convincing. Either way, I'll report on the findings. I have a DB meter and video camera... I plan to get some good data that is measurable so people can make a decision on whether to do it.
You're probably correct, I am just too cynical.

Wow, a DB meter! I have never known anyone who had one in his (her) tool kit. Really. I will be interested in your findings but since I don't have access to one (a DB meter), I'm not sure how I will use your them. But if it turns out we have the same model A/C, and with the new fan blade you get substantially lower noise levels, I'd change mine.

Bob
Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The good thing about your AC being loud is that you don't have to listen to the ones right next to you on that big diesel-pusher. Besides, just like AC's in the RV park, we like the sound at the drag strip of those top fuel 300mph "funnycars". Thanks for the info on the ducts, I'll have a look at mine.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #36

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZYA View Post
I found the same issue with mine in regards to the gaps under the interior grill. I did the same thing as to tape it up and seal all the air passage ways. I also found that the long screws that hold the A/C on to be very loose. While putting the grill back on I noticed that the grill was not sitting flat to the ceiling due to the grill making contact with a ceiling panel seam. I notched the grill to fit over the ceiling seam and now it sits flat to the ceiling.

Many thanks LBZYA for the above. I checked the intake for our A/C this AM. The inlet/outlet flow chambers were pretty well isolated/insulated from each other. There was a wedge shaped gap on each lower corner of the separating piece, each maybe about 2 sq inches max. I filled with foam and taped it up.

The 4 long bolts affixing the A/C to the rig felt secure by hand but by putting a small wrench on them I easily got 2-4 turns on each one. Kind of scary! I think the looseness is probably caused from compression of all the various materials between the head and the nut. I plan to recheck after our next long (1000+ mile trip).

Again, thanks for the heads up!!

Bob
Old 07-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #37

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
The good thing about your AC being loud is that you don't have to listen to the ones right next to you on that big diesel-pusher. Besides, just like AC's in the RV park, we like the sound at the drag strip of those top fuel 300mph "funnycars". Thanks for the info on the ducts, I'll have a look at mine.
I live 2 miles from Pacific Raceways... love it when the Top Fuel cars show up. My windows rattle!

Just got home from a trip... was 100 degrees out and that little Honda 2000 kept the air conditioning flowing... funny thing is, you can't hear my generator over the air conditioner outside Hoping my fan shows up this week.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #38

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBob View Post
You're probably correct, I am just too cynical.

Wow, a DB meter! I have never known anyone who had one in his (her) tool kit. Really. I will be interested in your findings but since I don't have access to one (a DB meter), I'm not sure how I will use your them. But if it turns out we have the same model A/C, and with the new fan blade you get substantially lower noise levels, I'd change mine.

Bob
I am a home theater fanatic... that's the only reason I happen to have a DB meter . I use it to measure the sound at different points in the room to dial things in right.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #39

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am about the same distance from the Pomona drag strip where they do the NHRA Winter Nationals. Yes, I hear them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Hi guys,

Love my Wind River and the super sleek, low profile air conditioner works great. I just have one problem with it. When I turn it on, you can hear my air conditioner across the entire park over everyone else. It is quite embarrassing. It isn't mechanical, it is just sounds like the fan could suck the atmosphere out of the area. Do you guys have the same experience? I've considered replacing it to ensure I'm not upsetting neighbors since it runs pretty much all day in the summer when camping.

I've also thought about rigging up some kind of muffling system, maybe an aluminum ring on top where the fan exhausts. Not sure.

Thoughts? Similar noise on yours?

Thanks,
Darren
We used our air conditioner for the first time this week, thought a 747 was taking off on our roof. The noise was noticeable inside, more so out side. I could hear our air conditioner from 100', drowning out our neighbors who had air conditioners on. The camper next to us asked us about the noise, he thought it was way too loud, embarrassing to say the least and now I know it disturbs others, how can I use it?

I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread as I planned on addressing the noisy air conditioner with Outdoorsrv when I take our Black Stone to the plant in August, now I have back up. Outdoorsrv advertises this air conditioner to be "quiet", I encourage everyone who has this unit to let Outdoorsrv know that it is far from "quiet".
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
We used our air conditioner for the first time this week, thought a 747 was taking off on our roof. The noise was noticeable inside, more so out side. I could hear our air conditioner from 100', drowning out our neighbors who had air conditioners on. The camper next to us asked us about the noise, he thought it was way too loud, embarrassing to say the least and now I know it disturbs others, how can I use it?

I want to thank all who have contributed to this thread as I planned on addressing the noisy air conditioner with Outdoorsrv when I take our Black Stone to the plant in August, now I have back up. Outdoorsrv advertises this air conditioner to be "quiet", I encourage everyone who has this unit to let Outdoorsrv know that it is far from "quiet".
Well my cheap modeled Creekside came with the old style Colemen A/C. I am sure glad I stayed with my gut feeling about buying another trailer with all the bells and whistles. I figure since Creekside is the cheaper model I could pick and choose what upgrades to do. I have a Kipor 3000watt suitcase model generator and it runs my A/C just fine, even with the 12v TV, stereo and most of the lights on.

Side note, I was at the dealer today picking up some parts. I went out and looked at some of the 2015 on the lot and what I noticed was each model line just had more bolt on fancy upgrades. After having our last trailer that was top of the line I told myself to stay away from fancy upgrades. I mean they are cool but they can also be a pain in the rear.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:04 PM   #42

What's the difference between a 25' trailer and a 35' trailer? 10 more feet of problems.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner