Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well at least you'll be able to exercise your A/C unit Rod. If you do any kind of hiking to see some of the famous sites down there be safe, wear a hat and bring some water along.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
Well at least you'll be able to exercise your A/C unit Rod. If you do any kind of hiking to see some of the famous sites down there be safe, wear a hat and bring some water along.
For sure and thanks for the heads up on the hat and water!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
....and watch for snakes
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a little water and a 120V cord you could just stay on the dealer lot the first night while you read the instructions and inspect everything.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #19

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
....and watch for snakes
You talking about rattlers? We have them here in Iowa too. Also killed a few copperheads.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #20

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
With a little water and a 120V cord you could just stay on the dealer lot the first night while you read the instructions and inspect everything.
Yes I had thought about that but I have already got reservations for that night at the Moab KOA. I have been trying to plan ahead and secure campgrounds since this is our annual vacation trip too.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Hello everyone!

I am Rod and my wife is Valerie. We live in Iowa and I have searched and searched for the finest of travel trailers. From Google searching, I think I finally found it with the Blackstone. Our problem being they are made and marketed on the west coast and the closest dealer for us is Stewart's RV in American Fork Utah some 1175 miles away.

I guess this years vacation trip is to Utah. We have put down a deposit on a 2015 Blackstone 280RKSB. I am trading in our 2013 Cougar High Country 321RES which we got in August 2012. I know, I know. Only two years old but what a let down in quality from the 2006 that I had. 45,000 dollar trailer and the interior doors and frames are the paper covered crap like you get with assemble yourself furniture. And it seems like almost no insulation in it for the way it heats up in the summer. Time to get rid of it before the repairs start hitting us hard.

Anyway thru long and serious negotiations via phone and email, we have come to an agreement on price. We hope very much to be able to keep this one for a very long time. I am only a couple years from retiring.

Thanks to each and everyone of you who has written on a thread. I think I have read almost every thread that has the words Outdoors RV in it. A trip to the 2015 get together is a small possibility. Such a long long way but I won't give up on it! We shall see.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Rod
I hope your experience with your new Black Stone will be better then ours. I have won't go into great detail, but the fit & finish on our trailer is poor, a ceiling panel came loose, nails/staples becoming visible, a lot more minor issues that add up. The latest issue, our roof has bubbles in several areas, worse yet, screws or whatever is under the roof membrane are pushing up, we hope they do not come through the membrane before we get it to the factory. Our Black Stone's dry tongue weight is 250 lbs heavier then the advertised dry tongue weight. I would ask your dealer to have the dry tongue on your trailer to be weighed on a scale that way you will be able to have the right receiver & hitch when you pick it up. We really like the trailer for so many reasons, we researched and this was to be our last RV, not so sure now. I am camping on the Oregon coast & unable to get any service, make it to town maybe once a week to pay bills & catch up on Outdoors RV threads.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #22
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
1010...are you heading to Outdoors RV plant in La Grande for the folks to have a look at your trailer?

Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
You talking about rattlers? We have them here in Iowa too. Also killed a few copperheads.
Yes I was. You sound experienced, though. That's good. Here in Eden, I mean Western Washington, there aren't any poisonous snakes, so people forget or never learned the practice of watching out for them. We have Brown Recluses instead. Which reminds me, I have to re-stack my wood bin this week....
BandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #24

schrod,
I have purchased a lot of small parts/led lights from Stewarts--they are very helpful in the parts dept. It is a small dealership, but been there a long time. Right on the side of I-15, but somewhat difficult to get to. I would have suggested Lakeside RV Park in Provo for a test night(s) but see that you have plans for Moab area--you will test the AC right away down there.
Not much between Spanish Fork and Moab--Price/Green River have stations, but not much else. Construction on Hwy 6 between SF and Soldier Summit, but not bad.
Good luck on your trip.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to IdahoBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Not much between Spanish Fork and Moab--Price/Green River have stations, but not much else. Construction on Hwy 6 between SF and Soldier Summit, but not bad.
Good luck on your trip.
Joe
We frequently make the trip between Moab and Salt Lake City. We love Green River State Park (in Green River, UT, strangely) and will go out of our way to stay there! And it you golf, this campground is between the 1st and 2nd holes, on a very nice, very inexpensive, municipal course. The campground has beautiful trees, paved sites, water and electricity. And there is a nice museum in town.

And there is a wonderful Mexican Restaurant (Los 2 Amigos), in Price, UT. If one takes the bypass through town, you can't miss it (well you can if you are not paying attention). It is on the east side of the road and has room for RV parking.

Bob

P.S. And this thread continues to wander. Kind of hard to avoid!
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #26

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandC View Post
Yes I was. You sound experienced, though. That's good. Here in Eden, I mean Western Washington, there aren't any poisonous snakes, so people forget or never learned the practice of watching out for them. We have Brown Recluses instead. Which reminds me, I have to re-stack my wood bin this week....
OH! Those nasty Brown Recluse spiders! We have them too. I worked with a woman that got bit on her thigh. Terrible and almost lost her leg. I don't ever remember having to worry about them as a kid. Damn things like to hide in shoes and boots.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #27

Evergreen Owners Club
I really appreciate all of the thoughtful advice from everyone. Thank you Joe for the heads up on the road construction and info about getting into Stewart's. Thank you Bob for the info about Green River. We might stay there a night or two after Moab.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
1010...are you heading to Outdoors RV plant in La Grande for the folks to have a look at your trailer?

Coops
We have an appointment on August 18th at the plant.

Tags
door