Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2018, 03:59 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Outside doors firm closing

We love how the ORV is built and overall it feels very solid. One issue is that the outside doors are a little difficult to easily open or close. The strike-plate is adjusted to have the least tension.

When closing from the outside, it takes a firm push in to get the door to latch. When opening from the outside, you need to push the door in slightly for it to unlatch and open easily.

When inside and closing, you need to pull in pretty briskly to get it to latch closed. Almost feels like a light slam is needed to close from the inside.

Both doors are the same. Is this just normal due to being tight? Does it need an adjustment or lubrication somewhere?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #2

On the hinge side have you checked to see if there might be something between the door and jamb that could cause the door to not close properly. I'm thinking a protruding screw, rivet, or packing material that wasn't removed, weather stripping not in the right place, etc. Maybe even the jamb itself is slightly skewed so the door is making contact with the jamb. Closely inspect the top, bottom, and latch sides as well. The door should only be making contact with the weatherstripping and not pinching it anywhere. As for the hinges I assume they are the friction type but I'm not familiar with them to know if there's any kind of adjustment that can be made. Just some thoughts.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our door latches have always worked as described. Sometimes they are worse, and I don't know why. Temperature? I have sprayed them with a teflon lube and that helps some.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours operate the same. Doesn't bother me although my wife complains about it once in awhile.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
They do have the friction hinges. Sounds like this may be normal from what others have experienced here. I'll check for any obstructions and lube the latch parts.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:09 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
My door is the same. I think it’s to secure a snug fit.
Mine also has friction on the open and close motion. That is a benefit for keeping it open without having a devise to hold it against the outside wall and when opening it in strong winds.
rvgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Mine also has friction on the open and close motion. That is a benefit for keeping it open without having a devise to hold it against the outside wall and when opening it in strong winds.
Our 2018 Timber Ridge is the same way. On our way home from picking our TR up in OR to OH. we had to deal with 30-50 mph wind. The friction hinges were a help in not having the door ripped off when opening it against the wind. You still had to hold the door with two hands when opening it, but much easier than a non-friction type door.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'd count my blessings..
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvgary View Post
My door is the same. I think it’s to secure a snug fit.
Took a little getting used to, but I agree definitely an advantage in the wind.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:11 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thought I would bring this up. The way and feel how "solid" the door is when closing it, one can compare it to an old Chevy and a Lexis. Our two past Aerolite products, when you closed the door you could feel the wall "vibrate". The Timber Ridge, "rock solid". Just more wall structure at the latch area.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door