Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Oven door glass exploded !!

2019 OUTDOORS RV 21fqs-- We were just finishing put away to leave from 3 nights camping--Around 3 am, we awoke to a sound that reminded me of the sun heating the side of the camper making the expanding sound--really didnt think twice about it.
Wife called me in to take a look at the shattered glass ,everywhere. This is just a decorative piece of smoked tempered glass. Looks to me that the door handle is mounted on the outside of the glass and the glass is glued in place. Possible that we may have bumped the handle causing a small chip in the glass, then the noise of cracking till it shattered.....my thought that in a camper,there should not be glass behind a handle that could cause a mess like this--Called my ORV dealer,and they said they will check into replacement--Warranty ??
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #2

Hmm. Sounds like a bad design. We use our oven door handle all the time for dish towels. We're always lightly tugging on it or pushing on the handle when putting the dish towel back on.
Thanks for the heads up.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:38 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would take a picture and send it to Suburban. I'm sure they will help you out.
I doubt this has happened very often and they probably would want to know about it:

smcsales@suburbanmfg.com
infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:10 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It is tempered glass so any hit to the edge will cause the whole thing to shatter in a million pieces. Shower doors do the same. Had a glass lid explode in the dishwasher at home a couple months ago, same thing. The spinning water sprayer on top hit the edge of the glass pan lid. Had to take the whole dishwasher apart to get the little glass cubes out.

Tempered glass shatters that way so the pieces are not large and sharp. Auto windshields do the same but have a piece of laminate sticking all the pieces together. Side or rear windows do not and shatter just like the glass on your oven or my pan lid.

I would guess this will not be a warranty issue since it takes a hit to the edge of the glass to make it happen but if they replace it consider it a gift.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
oven door glass exploded

Happy to say that CAMPING WORLD has expedited the warranty on my stove door by SUBURBAN-and i can pick it up today ! Wow i am impressed...About a week is all !! WAY TO GO CAMPING WORLD-- Not often there is good news from them >>Happy to announce it ! CASE CLOSED !
nicfroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door