Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: How many amps and how many ACs (30 amps assumes 1 AC)
30 Amp 14 40.00%
50 Amp with 1 air conditioner 4 11.43%
50 Amp with 2 air conditioners 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 09:53 PM   #1

Poll - How Many Amps

We ordered an ORV 250RKS with the 50amp option because we plan on adding a second air conditioner.

That got me wondering, do most people have 30 or 50 amp and how many of you have a second AC. I suspect 30 amp and 1 AC, but, here is a poll... you can answer based on what you have or what you plan on buying.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 06:00 AM   #2

Interesting.

For those that got 50A with 1 AC, did you order it that way or it was on the lot that way?

For team 50A, has 50A created any issues for you?

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
Old 09-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the lot that way. My coach can be ordered with 1 or 2 ACs so I guess they just always use 50 amp. Never had a problem and only popped a 30 amp once or twice that I can remember. Always use HW on electric when connected to shore.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:10 AM   #4

There's a few variables that have to be mentioned. Some RV's have power management systems that allow for two ac units on 30 amps because the system prevents both ac units running at the same time. Then, my rig has two ac units and is 50 amp and both ac units run simultaneously without a problem except that I have found that running the water heater on electric can cause the circuit to trip, so when it's hot with both ac units needed, I switch the water heater to propane.

In your situation, I'd be contacting the manufacturer to see what their recommendations are pertaining to installing a second ac unit.

Good luck!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #5

Your question may be specific to the ORV brand, but if not, I have 50A and three A/C units on my Momentum 394M. 50A is obviously required on a large unit like this one. Along with the three A/C units, the rig also has a 1500W fireplace, a Microwave/Convection unit, 12 gallon water heater....gas/electric, and a large (18 cu. ft.) refrigerator. Given the choice, I would always order have a 50A service along with at least two A/C units.
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post

In your situation, I'd be contacting the manufacturer to see what their recommendations are pertaining to installing a second ac unit.

Good luck!
I spoke to ORV (and the dealer). When ORV installs the 50A wiring option, they wire the front fan opening for an AC. With the standard 30A wiring, it is wired for a fan but not an AC. The dealer installs the AC.

I am not sure that any of the ORV's have power management systems. My Newmar does, but that is an entirely different beast.

-B
Old 09-26-2021, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Given the choice, I would always order have a 50A service along with at least two A/C units.
I totally agree. But I am not sure everyone agrees.

I was just at the Salt Lake City RV show. 50A TTs are rare and finding a company that will allow you to order a 50A is even more rare.

Outdoors RV (ORV) give you that option. When 50A is ordered, ORV does the wiring, the dealer installs the AC. If the dealer does not specify 50A, most models will be 30A.

-B
Old 09-26-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

50 Amp the 1st time , 30 the second.

We bought our 2016 280RKSB with 50 and the extra AC. Mostly to leave on for emergency backup when the Dogs were left in case AC no 1 died. It never came on and we really never used the one in the Bedroom even in AZ heat. We are not there in the summer but dod spend time in 110 to 120 weather. I did run it in this weather but mostly just to do a maintenance run for it and lube the seals.
We always wished we had a maxi fan there as we would use it more. Just bought another smaller ORV and it has 30 and 1 ac which will be more than enough. If I did it again I would get 50 amp but maxi in the bedroom.
We also installed a cheater plug in the rear of the new unit which is a 15 amp plug outside wired directly to a 2 plug ac outlet under the table. On most pedestal's we can run a separate feed from 15 amp plug to use for a small Dr infrared heater which leaves the 30 amp in trailer free fro everything else.
Hope this helps.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarc View Post

We also installed a cheater plug in the rear of the new unit which is a 15 amp plug outside wired directly to a 2 plug ac outlet under the table. On most pedestal's we can run a separate feed from 15 amp plug to use for a small Dr infrared heater which leaves the 30 amp in trailer free fro everything else.

Hope this helps.
We ran an outlet from our electric bay into the kitchen. I run a extension cord from the plug in the bay to the 20A outlet in the pedestal. My wife uses it all of the time. The toaster oven is plugged into it. It really helps when she has several things going at the same time.

Why the switch to the smaller trailer?

-B
Old 09-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #10

Smaller trailer

Pre Covid we did a 55,000 KM trip around Canada US Perimeter in the 34 ft 280 RKSB. As soon as we got home we looked at each other and said lets do it again. After discussion we decided to try it in a smaller trailer and stay in less resorts and less human contact. There were definitely a few places where the 34 ft felt tight. With the 20 BD we can Go anywhere , off or on road, 2000 lb lighter, 100 Gallons of water which we just dry camped 2 weeks and had lots to spare. Also Built in Genset is good for the way we travel. Trailer still scaled at 6750 with water full and hooked up to truck and towed like a dream behind F-350. Used the Maxi fan above bed every night and Generator to make Cappachino's every morning.
Leaving across Canada April 25th with the 20 BD.
Telemarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:03 PM   #11

as a general rule if the factory offers a 2nd AC unit on a build you NEED IT if your going some place that your in direct sun and its over 90*F. two 13.5k Ac will run on a good 30 amp line however you need soft starts on both AC and you can use anything else for power , No electric hot water , battery / propane frig , house batterys fully charged before the 2nd AC starts..... basicly its a pain in the but to monitor the power this close and not trip the 30 amp breaker. Get the 50 amp service and down the road put the AC unit on if you want , I would suggest a heat pump/ Ac unit. They work very nice on a 40* morning. if the option from the factory is available I would just do it now.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
Get the 50 amp service and down the road put the AC unit on if you want , I would suggest a heat pump/ Ac unit.
I ordered the RV with 50 and 2 ACs. I am not sure they offer heat pumps.... I have 3 of them in the motorhome. They work great.

-B
Old 09-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #13

2006 ordered our 5th wheel...50A & 2 A/C units

Hot/Hot weather...both are on
Hot weather.....bedroom one on during daytime/living room one on during nighttime

When connected to 30A service I am the EMS.
Run one A/C nad if needed start the other one after first is running (each t-stat set for different temps)
Fridge/Water heater on propane.....mircowave/turn A/C off

Lived in the New 5th wheel for 2 months along side of S&B waiting ofr close of escrow/finalizing sell ----on a 15A service (early spring)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
2006 ordered our 5th wheel...50A & 2 A/C units

Hot/Hot weather...both are on
Hot weather.....bedroom one on during daytime/living room one on during nighttime
In our motorhome, we have 3 ACs. We generally only run two at a time. The middle is always set to 76. We set the back to 80 and the front to 76 during the day then swap them at night.

Tags
amps