Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2020, 12:24 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C in a 23DBS

Looking at adding the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C to our Timber Ridge 23DBS. Has anyone added one to this model TT?

Will I have to pull the panel to install it? Is there plenty or room in that compartment for it?

Camper is buried in snow right now so cant get eyes on it.. Planning for spring.

I searched the threads and saw where others had installed it in different ORV models. Just trying to get an idea on our 23dbs.

Thanks in advance!
camper8251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

I see that your panel is at the base of a cabinet adjacent to the bathroom, and the power inlet is about where your sink is located, as it is on mine. So you will have two locations for the unit, either in the vanity under the floor or under the panel. I put mine under the panel, where it fit very nicely.
For either, you will need to remove the cover from the panel, then unscrew the panel from the framing around it and pull it out so you can access the back, where you will push in the new wire.
For an under-panel installation you will need to remove the 10-3 NM (orange romex) from the panel and run it first into the unit, and then run power from the unit back up into the panel. I used 10-3 SO cord from the unit back into the panel because it's more flexible.
As an alternative to under the panel you could put it under the vanilty, but I really would advise against that because of difficulty of access and it is a very awkward location to work, but if you choose the under-vanity location you will just use the Romex both in and out of the unit.
NM screw connectors are included with the unit, and there is a good schematic inside the cover.
The readout unit has about a 30 ft cord and can be routed to a number of locations, but be advised it blinks constantly and can be distracting if it is in sight from the dinette. I say this because it will be easy to run it up the wall and put it by the thermostat, but I would suggest inside the bathroom would be better.
Be sure to do this work without the shore power being plugged in (yes, it's obvious, but it needs to be said).
You'll need a #2 and #1 phillps, a wire stripper for #10 solid and stranded, a 1/2 in drill bit to run the connector out of the wall and into the readout, and about three hours to do the whole thing.
Howard
Howard Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks for the response if I recall correctly the power comes in to my unit on the drivers side behind the slide out as well as the panel being below the Pantry on the same side....

I wonder if I could remove the drawers of the pantry to get in there.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

I just realized that you don't have a set of louvers beneath your panel; I do, it's the air intake for the furnace. So, disregard putting the unit below the panel, and yes, the void under the drawer may be the ideal spot for your unit.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:41 PM   #5

Are you sure you dont already have one? This is what the brochure says:

Progressive Dynamics 4 Stage Converter w/ Built In Charge Wizard All
Old 02-17-2020, 02:46 PM   #6

B, easy mistake to make, similar names, both excellent products: Progressive Dynamics is the maker of the 3 stage converter/charger ORV is now using in it's TTs; Progressive Industries makes surge protectors for the rv industry.

And camper8251 I wrote for you to use 10-3 wire. Use 10-2 (with ground) for the 30 amp service.

hwd
Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Call the factory with your Vin#. They can tell you exactly what you have in there.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Two thoughts, first, if the EMS takes a hit and is unserviceable you are out of business until you replace the unit. Second, an external EMS will also protect the shore cord, which could also leave you out of service and could burn the shore connector and associated wiring up to the EMS.

I would think about getting the portable unit for those reasons. You could still burn down your trailer with a hardwired EMS.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
Thanks for the response if I recall correctly the power comes in to my unit on the drivers side behind the slide out as well as the panel being below the Pantry on the same side....

I wonder if I could remove the drawers of the pantry to get in there.
I happen to still have both drawers out in my 23DBS after swapping out the OEM WFCO Converter/Charger for a new Progressive Dynamics PD4655. Everything that you need access to for the hardwired EMS would be accessible with both drawers removed. See picture below taken through the top drawer slot looking down.

You can see the orange romex coming in just under the bottom of the lower drawer rails. The component box on the left between the lower and upper rails is the slide controller. Handy to know it's location in the event you have slide issues.

I thought about the hardwired EMS but already had an older 30amp portable model from the previous trailer and recently picked up a second 30amp portable as a spare. The old one protected the previous trailer a few times when there were power issues at the campground but so far is still doing the job. I won't plug in anywhere without the EMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200217_210324749.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	275457  
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK_Howard View Post
B, easy mistake to make, similar names, both excellent products: Progressive Dynamics is the maker of the 3 stage converter/charger ORV is now using in it's TTs; Progressive Industries makes surge protectors for the rv industry.

And camper8251 I wrote for you to use 10-3 wire. Use 10-2 (with ground) for the 30 amp service.

hwd
Ha, thanks. Got me!
Old 02-21-2020, 06:49 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the responses! Been out of town for work the last week got home today and have my new EMS waiting. Gonna try and install this weekend.

ttavasc whats that box on the wall to left? Curious.....
Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper8251 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses! Been out of town for work the last week got home today and have my new EMS waiting. Gonna try and install this weekend.

ttavasc whats that box on the wall to left? Curious.....
That is the slide-out controller. If you have issues with the slide-out you'll need to look there for error codes and possibly override. There should be some documentation on the controller and troubleshooting items in the manuals that came with the trailer.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:02 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well Got the Progressive industries EMS-HW30C installed in a couple of hours. Had to relocate the bus bar mounted to the floor but otherwise the install went pretty smooth. Wires were quite a mess inside the area just like the picture ttavasc posted....

Hooked up the EMS outside of the camper and did a bench test which probably made things smoother as I was more familiar with everything inside of it and some of the screws were loose inside which I assume was from shipping.

I just disconnected from the breaker panel the mainline coming into the camper from the external cord, hooked it in to the EMS supply and then made another cable out of romex I had at the house and wired that into the Panel ...

Then relocated the bus bar, and mounted the EMS to the floor.

Havent figured out where to mount the display as of yet, got it lying inside the bathroom sink cabinet as of now.....

I think the hardest part was putting the damn drawers back in...LOL

Bazinga just saved a couple hundred bucks the dealer wanted to charge to install it....

Thanks again all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1611.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	276609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1618.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	276610