Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #1

Propane Leak Detector Tool

I didn't know a tool like this even existed in an affordable form. I just purchased this one from Amazon after learning about this tool in a different thread, elsewhere on this forum.

The leak detector arrived yesterday. As I'm located some distance from where I store my 26RLS I tried it out on my truck camper which is next to the house. Within minutes, I found a leak at a copper fitting on the bottom of the regulator, which is in the propane locker. After a quick turn of a wrench to tighten the fitting I was able to quickly retest and verify that the leak was fixed. I'm sold. Too bad in a way, testing with matches was way more exciting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2020, 03:43 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
This is on my list of items to get for sure. I've been using the leak detection fluid which isn't nearly as exciting as matches and a whole lot messier. It is pretty effective but can be difficult to get into the hard to reach places.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #3

I bought something similar from my local home improvement center for around $12. Used it to diagnose, fix and confirm repairs in a black iron coupling that had cracked.

Useful little tool and would recommend every one have one in their toolbox.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Wow, I'm an HVAC tech, I'm used to seeing combustible gas detectors priced more like 250 minimum.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a very similar designed unit a few years ago and have been very impressed with it. To verify when I got it, I set up in a very open space a slightly leaking propane bottle. Then backed off about 30 feet and started moving in slowly. At 20+ feet it started going off. I was sold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:05 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob26rls View Post
Too bad in a way, testing with matches was way more exciting.
You're too funny, Bob. Seriously, thanks for sharing - had no clue something like this was available. I'll order one today, and will send you my VISA bill when it arrives.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:23 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ina4x4 View Post
You're too funny, Bob. Seriously, thanks for sharing - had no clue something like this was available. I'll order one today, and will send you my VISA bill when it arrives.

Mary
Bob, I wanted to thank you, again, for sharing this info. I did order one, and we had it about two weeks when Alan had to move the propane tank that feeds our home to continue working on a retaining wall. He knew there was already a crimp in the line and, after this last move, he suspected a leak. He came looking for the propane detector (that hadn't yet made it to the Creek Side), and was able to confirm the leak and that his subsequent repair was successful.

As an expression of our gratitude, I'll be paying my VISA bill myself.

Mary
4ina4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ina4x4 View Post
B
.... As an expression of our gratitude, I'll be paying my VISA bill myself.

Mary

Thank's, Mary! In these difficult times, the debt-forgiveness is especially appreciated.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for posting this. I had thought about ordering one some time ago and just forgot. I just placed my order.
It always easy to justify the expense of safety gear. Sometimes it's challenging to convince the DW that it IS safety gear... like my newest and 3rd volt/ohm meter or a $200 battery monitor~ "honey here's one for $39, why can't you just get that one?". 🙄
This is truly safety gear! Thx again, Mike
Seymour2Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The best propane leak detection tool is a spray bottle of soapy water. Get the bottle and soap at the dollar store and you'll have spent $2 on the whole thing. ��
Old 05-25-2020, 12:55 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
The best propane leak detection tool is a spray bottle of soapy water. Get the bottle and soap at the dollar store and you'll have spent $2 on the whole thing. ��
Soapy water is fine when you can see all the way around a joint or in some remote recess. I use both a detector with a wand and soapy water. The detector tells me if there's a leak anyplace in the area. With the wand and the variable intensity indicator I know pretty close to where the leak is. The bubbles from the can pin point the exact spot. Great when when you have multiple connections in a tight space. Soapy water never told me about a leak that was 10 or 20 feet away, my wand does.

IMO- there's a need and use for both techniques. To each their own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Soapy water never told me about a leak that was 10 or 20 feet away, my wand does.
It's just a CGI. It doesn't tell you what it's detecting does it? My equipment for my job is specifically for methane, but the Amazon cheap CGIs can't tell you what they found, I'll bet they will have the same issues that our older flame ionization search tools and intrinsically safe CGIs had, can't tell the difference between methane, propane, certain plants, or gasoline vapor, it just reacts to what goes in the snout if it tickles the sensor the right way. It's a diagnostic tool, but IMO just barely. You're correct though, different needs, if the detector goes off then the soapy water comes out.

As for seeing around an entire joint, these things are about $5-10, and damned useful for a lot of things, I carry one every day at work for, well, seeing the back of a joint to look for corrosion and bubbles.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-T...ror/1000595017
Old 05-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #13

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It's just a CGI. It doesn't tell you what it's detecting does it? My equipment for my job is specifically for methane, but the Amazon cheap CGIs can't tell you what they found, I'll bet they will have the same issues that our older flame ionization search tools and intrinsically safe CGIs had, can't tell the difference between methane, propane, certain plants, or gasoline vapor, it just reacts to what goes in the snout if it tickles the sensor the right way. It's a diagnostic tool, but IMO just barely. You're correct though, different needs, if the detector goes off then the soapy water comes out.

As for seeing around an entire joint, these things are about $5-10, and damned useful for a lot of things, I carry one every day at work for, well, seeing the back of a joint to look for corrosion and bubbles.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-T...ror/1000595017

@1bigmess is absolutely right, and I should have mentioned these shortcomings earlier. Please be sure to use the following guidelines when testing:
  • Take Bessy (the cow) outside and stake her well away from the RV
  • Don't eat chili the night before
  • Remove all open containers of gasoline from lockers and cabinets
  • Brush your teeth. One Amazon reviewer set the detector off with bad breath.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob26rls View Post
@1bigmess is absolutely right, and I should have mentioned these shortcomings earlier. Please be sure to use the following guidelines when testing:
  • Take Bessy (the cow) outside and stake her well away from the RV
  • Don't eat chili the night before
  • Remove all open containers of gasoline from lockers and cabinets
  • Brush your teeth. One Amazon reviewer set the detector off with bad breath.
Yes, yes- one other precaution: get Rover out of the area, I know dog gas will set these off as well.

In reality, when I'm working on an RV's propane lines, I'm not likely to encounter other explosive gases other than propane. IMO- an RV owner with an affordable detector is better equipped than just soapy water. I'm aware of high end detectors, but the average person can not justify that cost or space they require.

Yes, I carry an adjustable mirror for many little tasks on the RV, but I know I have propane lines tight against another surface and there is no room to get any mirror in those spaces.

I do an annual propane pressure and leak test. If the system passes a 20 minute leak test the entire system is tight. Some techs use a 3 minute leak test. If it goes too long then air temperature changes impact the results.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
leak, propane