RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Outdoors RV Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #1

Propane tee. Questions for grilling off units

Wondering connection needed to attach a spare hose from propane tanks to grill

Have 2-Stag LP-Propane Gas Regulator ACR-2 Auto Changeover that has a port for spare hose off distribution.

Unclear if this is at tank pressure or reduced (do i need regulator 1-stage in aux hose)

This looks like 1/2 or 5/8th thin fitting. As opposed to fat tank connectors.

Think i need adapter from this down to the 3/8" into the camp chef. Again with or without regulator?.?

Does any one have /use the quick connect?

Did anyone put taps under the trailer or under back end? Piping runs under the unit behind stairs to kitchen, ref at back.

Thinking it might be better to install a tee at this end and not worry about regulator?
Any concerns about robbing pressures to hot water heater, ref, etc?

Thanks in advance

TrollMeister

TrollMeister, wife n mud pig(yellow lab)
Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
TrollMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My trailer came with a long hose and a T that plugs into the tank. I doesn't go through the trailer's propane regulator that sits between the two tanks, so I guess the propane in the hose is un-regulated?

The end of the hose plugs right into my Weber, so I guess there's a regulator there?

Anyway, I've ditched the whole long hose and T thing as too much trouble. Bought a much shorter hose for the Weber and carry along a standard 20# propane tank just for it.

Not sure if this of any help, ...
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Troll, look up my previous posts under my name, and I have some info. posted on this subject, its probably been a couple years.

Basically you have two ways to do this, the normal way is to tap in AFTER your regulator, which will make everything low pressure. The other way is to tap in BEFORE your regulator, which will make everything high pressure. Its the same plumbing for either once you tap in.

The bigger question is what does your BBQ reguire? Some BBQ's have a pressure regulator built into them, if this is the case you need high pressure. If your BBQ does not have a pressure regulator you need low pressure. Just for clarity on this, as I am sure someone will say otherwise, YOU CAN'T RUN TWO PRESSURE REGULATORS BACK TO BACK.

Last time I did this, tapped in AFTER the pressure regulator on the RV, that way all my piping would be low pressure (which is the normal way), and pulled the pressure regulator off my BBQ. Had to buy a few funky pipe fittings to make it work right, but in the end, its all good, and still use same BBQ to this day on different rigs.

You can buy all of the quick connector couplings, etc. on line pretty easy. I use a 12ft hose to hook up my grill that I also purchased on line.

Good luck, this is a very easy mod, just don't over think it, and make sure you run all your piping in steel pipe, use lots of putty/dope on the fittings, NOT teflon tape.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just bought a portable gas grill and I wanted to hook it up to the propane on the MH. It is my understanding that the fixed tank on a MH and the tanks on a TT have a regulator at the tanks. This drops the pressure from the tank into the remainder of the unit be it a TT or a MH. That means that the furnace and stove need no further pressure regulation. However, my gas grill has a regulator on it because it is supposed to be used with the little bottles of propane. I therefore can't double regulate the pressure and can not hook up the new grill to the propane.

That will be your issue. If you double regulate the pressure you may/won't have enough pressure to run the grill.

Oopps!! It looks like "DegoRed" took the words out of my mouth.

TeJay
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine came with one too, similar to the one coleman sells. But you have to look where your regulator is, at the tank, or at the BBQ, its easy to add one to the BBQ if not. All in all I have to agree with BRULAZ on this one, tried the connected one but it was too close to the truck and TT, smoke got inside trailer if screen door was open. I now carry a dedicated BBQ table, some small green cylinders or bring the 5lb tank if we are going longer. Now I can move it around based on the smoke drift or if I like a spot better elsewhere in the campground. Cheers.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #6

Thanks, looks like i will break at the distribution tee at back end of trailer and add another tee & piping for a quick connect.

May cost more for hoses than extra 20#tank, but then i dont have to chain it to keep it from walking!

Thanks

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Old 07-12-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the port is off the distribution manifold which is on the OUTLET side of the regulator it is LOW pressure

The Extend-a-Stay and Stay-a-While adapters go between the tank and the regulator (inlet side of regulator) and are HIGH PRESSURE

Does this help?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

Commercial Member

You might consider working this question the other way...

1. What BBQ do you want to use?
2. Is it self regulated or not?
3. If it is regulated use the factory supplied connection before the tank regulator/switch-over.
4. If it is not regulated the decide how you want to connect into system.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #9

Orvpdman, do all the kitchen ranges only have adjustable burners in front! And hi settings only for rear? Wife wold like to know if the back burner controls could be changed for the adjustable level controls.

Re bbq, It appears that I can go off high pressure into the 1lb canister fitting hose and the use adapter into tank adapter & regulator on camp chef (or any of my propane units) but then stove is at front of trailer & near tanks, truck, & bedroom.

I'm thinking of cooking at rear of trailer, can extend the 3/8" cross between fridge, furnace and water heater & install quick connect to hose to stove. More convenient to rear kitchen.

Also this weekend found left thank went dry and that is attached to the high pressure hose adapter.

So we went caveman and just grilled on the campfire- gasp-

Thanks. (I have tons more questions for you but will space em out!)

Enjoy gathering! So sad to be missing as we love the unit we just bought and are working hard to break it in, when not working :(

Later

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Old 07-22-2015, 11:32 AM   #10

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMeister View Post
Orvpdman, do all the kitchen ranges only have adjustable burners in front! And hi settings only for rear? Wife wold like to know if the back burner controls could be changed for the adjustable level controls.

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Our current ranges do have fully adjustable level control at all burners. Not sure what can be done with yours. Is it the Maytag?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORVPDMAN View Post
Our current ranges do have fully adjustable level control at all burners. Not sure what can be done with yours. Is it the Maytag?

Yes Maytag range 16" BLK-CLY1620BDB. Sn is avail if needed.

If you can recommend part number for changing the flow control, would be great.

Also are the metal branded Outdoor Rv splash/heat guards avail for purchase? Not installed in our trailer but seen in newer models.

Erik

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500
Old 07-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollMeister View Post
Yes Maytag range 16" BLK-CLY1620BDB. Sn is avail if needed.

If you can recommend part number for changing the flow control, would be great.

Also are the metal branded Outdoor Rv splash/heat guards avail for purchase? Not installed in our trailer but seen in newer models.

Erik

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500

I really don't have any info on converting your Maytag. They may have a customer service and support that could work with you on that.

We generally do not sell parts to the public. Your dealer should be able to get that backsplash for you though.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #13

Ok, thought id ask. Found out back burners are 6500 btu. And front is 9000. May be why back only lists as high and front has lo-med-hi. Will test to see if the controls are proportional and just printed as off -hi. Or if valve is truly digital

Local dealer just got in the quick connect so i will be installing that into the low p cross under the rear and using the 10' ext to the pigtail on the camp chef. For grilling at back of trailer rather than off the high p connection& adapters at front of trailer, but may use that for lantern light to set camping mood

Thanks

Wind River 2011. 23RKS
2012 Silverado 1500

Tags
propane